GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding this afternoon and couldn't help but think about how pleased I was with the performance of all the aftermarket "improvements" I made to the bike recently. Then I thought about the OEM Honda oil filter and oil pulsing through the motor as I eased effortlessly on to the interstate. I'm sure the dealer followed the book and used a new crush washer too. The new OEM air filter was doing its job keeping the road grit away from the top end of the cylinders.

It struck me as a group how most of us need to "improve" on what the engineers at Honda designed by adding aftermarket items. Different stem bearings, brake pads, complete suspension design...etc. But something as simple as oil and a filter...better use Honda OEM products or you might risk a disaster!

I'm not endorsing or discrediting one thing or another...just though it a curious insight in to how people think.

And for the record...I think oil is oil. Crush washers are reusable, and the engineers don't know everything.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I find that OEM parts are the best to use for most replacement jobs. Oil filter, brake pads, air filters and such. I find that there are no surprises with OEM parts as far as fit and function.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Good Ol' American Enginuity!!!
Wait a minute, The 1800 was American by design right?
Ok, Good Ol' Capitalism.
No wonder we lost the Wing. Back to the homeland to fix it, i.e., frame

And you though Wall street is bilking Americana.

Boablou,
Doing what you love is freedom. Loving what you do is happiness.
I can think of no worse fate then denied freedom.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
IIt struck me as a group how most of us need to "improve" on what the engineers at Honda designed by adding aftermarket items. Different stem bearings, brake pads, complete suspension design...etc. But something as simple as oil and a filter...better use Honda OEM products or you might risk a disaster!
I'll certainly agree that aftermarket is not always better, but I run an Amsoil EaoM oil filter and Eaa air filters. Even with a filter, Honda is not always best...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yup, all them renegades probably running car tires too! :lol::lol::lol:

I have some extra crush washers because I didn't change mine yet. It's still on it's original - still isn't leaking yet. ( I'm doing a long range reliability test with the oil crush washer. Just how many miles will it go before it leaks a drop of oil.)

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I'll certainly agree that aftermarket is not always better, but I run an Amsoil EaoM oil filter and Eaa air filters. Even with a filter, Honda is not always best...
What company supplies Amsoil with oil filters?

·
Registered
747 Posts
A while ago, someone posted an independant study that compaired oil filters and it showed the OEM filter at the top of the list in nearly every category. One can get a 10 pac of these and crush washers at HDL for about $75 which is very inexpensive; I think. For those of us that own more than one Honda, chances are the same filter will work because that filter is used in nearly all Honda bikes.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
A lot of aftermarket manufacturers clam to meet or exceed OEM standards. As a consumer, I'm not sure that statement is always true. In some cases, I seen aftermarket products barely meet required standard and some that may not meet OEM standards at all. Sometimes you can contact the manufacturer and request standard and specification information. The one's that fail to sent it......well, you can figure that out. The one's that do send you information, there's no guarantee their product are acceptable. That's the main reason I like to use Honda products and accessories.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Well so much for going to napa and getting their oil filters. i have been spanked and now i will buy only oem at twice the price for something that will do the samething

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
walmart oil filters, $ 2.29 on sale a couple weeks ago, i bought all they had at three stores

the vtx and the wing are good for years on filters

once again, show me a 1800 wing that had engine failure as a result of an oil filter

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Stem bearings a MUST
update suspension whatever your heart desires =really needed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts