GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering using something else other than my RIVCO lights under my cowl. The set I had burned out and RIVCO is going to replace them under warranty; however, there are other, 3-4" lights that look like they would fit, are waterproof, and come with a lifetime warranty instead of just one year.

Has anyone used any other types of lights on the front other than something that came specifically from a "motorcycle" website?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Yes I have they were advertised as KLR 650 led driving lights but fitted in my 03 lower cowl nicely had no issues with them for the last 3 years plenty to choose from on line :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Like this? I know you said cowl, but...

The only issue I have with any cowl mounted lighting...it's not meant for visibility.

Mine? I bring 10,000 lumens of light with me - when needed.

Note this may be illegal in some jurisdictions. Fortunately, I live in a state without annual motor vehicle inspections.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like this? I know you said cowl, but...

The only issue I have with any cowl mounted lighting...it's not meant for visibility.
I will disagree with that. The RIVCO lights I ripped out of the cowl made a HUGE difference in lighting. I ripped them out because one of them winked out after only 6 months. The other 364 days into a 1 year warranty. 2 days later, we had bad fog and boy did I see the difference. The ground was wet and the stock headlights are hard to see. Those big LED's were amazingly bright.

Here's my thought. RIVCO is going to send me replacement lights, but the warranty is expired so, I get one shot with these. I'd like to put something in the cowl that's tougher. But for the RIVCO lights, I ordered a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787NWBM3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll mount them to the vertical part of the engine cage so that if they die again, easy to pull out.

I'm going to experiment a little.. I"ll post what I figure out... Thanks for the input, dudes!

Reactions: Barrycuda67

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on this.

RIVCO sent me an email several days ago saying they approved my warranty and that they are sending me new lights. 2 emailed requests for a Tracking Number went unanswered so I called. They sent me an invoice, which was supposed to have been sent with the new replacement lights, and there was still no tracking number.

The light that I ordered from Ebay is... Ok. Definitely more light, lights up the sides more. I had to trim the opening a little on the lower cowl with my dremmel and and a sanding drum which wasn't hard, still looks good. It fit on the bracket that was provided with the original RIVCO lights. I'm debating getting a second one, or trying something different... again.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
353 Posts
Update on this.

RIVCO sent me an email several days ago saying they approved my warranty and that they are sending me new lights. 2 emailed requests for a Tracking Number went unanswered so I called. They sent me an invoice, which was supposed to have been sent with the new replacement lights, and there was still no tracking number.

The light that I ordered from Ebay is... Ok. Definitely more light, lights up the sides more. I had to trim the opening a little on the lower cowl with my dremmel and and a sanding drum which wasn't hard, still looks good. It fit on the bracket that was provided with the original RIVCO lights. I'm debating getting a second one, or trying something different... again.
Have you seen these?
https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/honda-gl1800-led-high-output-aux-light-kit/

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those only work up to 2010. I have the 2016 with the "Square" cowl. They mount to the cowl it says... interesting...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
I bought some chinese lights for my 2014 cowl retangular used dremel toi enlarge hole used l bracket from window treatments to mount had some plugs from old lights and wired so plug n play. There spot n flood flood part is they have leds on sides of housing that light up side of road and the spot lights up ahead think there 4000 lumens each $40 pair awsesome light !!!! My bike had none before so did buy the honda switch kit for it

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought some chinese lights for my 2014 cowl retangular used dremel toi enlarge hole used l bracket from window treatments to mount had some plugs from old lights and wired so plug n play. There spot n flood flood part is they have leds on sides of housing that light up side of road and the spot lights up ahead think there 4000 lumens each $40 pair awsesome light !!!! My bike had none before so did buy the honda switch kit for it
Do you have a description for the lights? I can dig them up on Amazon. I'd love to check them out.

I have some whonkey button sticking out. There is a switch that I can add to the stock panel on the left?

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
11,000 LUMENS :surprise::wink2::smile2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gents, is there a stock-ish button I can add that will not turn off when the hi-beams come on?

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
Someone posted think in last couple days and his stayed on = 6 lights on = illegal in some states. Check fog lite posts

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Electrical Connection sells a switch replacement - at one time they also used to sell a harness to do just that that works in conjunction with the switch.

As @UNCLEJOHN states, certain jurisdictions have issues with operating auxiliary lighting in this manner. It's even more of a challenge if you have to go through any sort of annual motor vehicle inspection.

YMMV

1 - 16 of 16 Posts