GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but I just got through calling 911 for an ambulance for my neighbor. He was tuning up his lawn mower, had it running, and for reasons unknown (he's 84 years old) he grabbed the housing that covers the blade to move it. Yep, you guessed it, amputation time. Tip of index finger mangled, other three fingers gone above the first knuckle. He made it into his house, got a towel and walked over to my driveway where he fainted in my arms after he asked me to take him to a doctor. Thank God I was wearing my cell phone so I could stay with him. (He was awake about a minute later)
PLEASE be careful around power equipment, we all get complacent to some degree, and with springtime around the corner I'm sure these accidents will become more frequent.
Take care.
Rob

·
Registered
561 Posts
Oh man...my heart goes out to him. It was a good thing you were there to help out! Some people would just freak out and become worthless, you stepped up to plate instead. Good job!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re

After 20 + years in the Navy, and going on 9 yrs in LE I've seen alot. It really doesn't affect you until after it's over, and you have a chance to think about it. All my first aid training kicked in without even thinking about it. The only trouble I had was my cell phone service doesn't have the new GPS system installed yet (my phone IS capable), so the 911 operator (1 town away) answered, didn't know where I was, and had to forward me to the Rural Volunteer fire dept that is only about 3 miles away.
One of the advantages of "landline" phones.

G

·
0 Posts
THIS is why newer mowers have the clutch that stops the blade when you let go of the handle.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A case where you were in the "right" place at the "right" time and presence of mind to help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts