GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a shop on my land and would like to see if anyone here has any input as to who is a good builder, has a good product, and doesn't try to drain my account. I know it's gonna be expensive and I'm ready for that but would like the best I can get for what I want to spend. I live in Porter, Montgomery county. I would like about a 30x50' building on a slab with a bathroom in the back. I've already talked to my septic service about making those tie-ins. I would like it turnkey - electrical, plumbing, 2 overhead doors (one 16' on the front, one 8' on the side), one pedestrian door, and a couple of windows in the back. I'm shying away from a wood frame and would like to stay with all steel.
Any ideas as to who would be a good builder to touch base with? I've already got one bid but it was a little too rich for just a building on a slab - no electric, plumbing, etc.
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
3,570 Posts
Mike, I can't recommend a Houston-area erector, as I am near the Woodville-Jasper area. However, I wonder if you have considered "pole barn" construction versus a building on a slab. Slab construction means that the slab goes down first and is load-bearing. All the weight of the building is supported by the slab. In pole barn construction the metal poles (the supporting members) go into the ground first, then the slab is poured around the poles. Finally the building is erected and bolted/welded to the poles.

I have three such buildings. One is a 42' by 60' barn and RV storage building. Another is a 44' by 40' garage shown in my signature picture, and finally I have a 30' by 40' workshop with 2 roll doors and a walk door. The garage and workshop are both fully insulated and wired. I recently added a cookout area to the garage by coming off the side with a 24' by 16' roof and pouring a slab under it.

Pole barn construction is much less expensive than is slab construction, and offers a lot of design flexibility. You can have it built in any configuration you want. When I lived in Nederland I had a 30' by 40' Mueller metal building erected on a slab. Mueller is a big name, but I much prefer my present pole barn construction. There may be a few negatives, but I haven't found them yet.

Quite a few of the Houston-area riders attended a RTE at my place last March and saw my buildings. If you don't mind slumming, you're welcome to ride over and look at a pole barn.

Glen

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tough call. Best bet is to get several bids and references from prior Customers.

The PEMB cost is, pound for pound, remarkably similar between brands. Erection costs vary, and I've seen perfectly good buildings slaughtered by 'cheap' installation.

I work for NCI. Parent company of MBCI and dozens of PEMB labels. Same Engineers, Draftsman, Shop folks, basic materials used on all of them,,,, (Trim profile may be a bit different from label to label, but rumor has it 'unification' is on the horizon,,,) Many of the smaller 'manufacturers' today do the welding/fabrication themselves, but still buy the sheet metal / zees and cee's from MBCI and then sell the package to their Customers.

But I digress,,,, "Multiple Bids with references" would be my best advice.

·
Registered
265 Posts
NCI use to be a great company when Mr Schulte ran it. Then AR and his crew took over. I too worked at NCI back in the mid 90s. Schulte Building Systems also offers a great product.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Have you thought about building your own?

I built my 50x50 "Miracle Truss" hangar in just a bit over a month (not counting hanging doors) because there are no good builders in Florida!

Mostly did it all solo.
You pay a bit more for the kit but that gets offset by the reduced labor required to build it... it fits together like a big errector set.

I contracted out the slab but even had to redo that myself (before the pour) because when I ran a string down what was going to be the outside walls, the stud bolts for the columns were off by 1 to 2 inches.. That would have made for a very ugly sight.

If you want it "right", there is no substitute for doing it yourself.

Just a thought..

Dennis

I'm looking to build a shop on my land and would like to see if anyone here has any input as to who is a good builder, has a good product, and doesn't try to drain my account. I know it's gonna be expensive and I'm ready for that but would like the best I can get for what I want to spend. I live in Porter, Montgomery county. I would like about a 30x50' building on a slab with a bathroom in the back. I've already talked to my septic service about making those tie-ins. I would like it turnkey - electrical, plumbing, 2 overhead doors (one 16' on the front, one 8' on the side), one pedestrian door, and a couple of windows in the back. I'm shying away from a wood frame and would like to stay with all steel.
Any ideas as to who would be a good builder to touch base with? I've already got one bid but it was a little too rich for just a building on a slab - no electric, plumbing, etc.
Thanks in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts