GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a diehard VTX owner/rider I made the transition to the Goldwing arena. With this my daughter said: “Dad you looked cool on the VTX but the Goldwing… Well…” Out of the mouths of babes! Lol!
There are two Honda dealerships in my area… One is a power store and one is hometown shop. I have always had better service and competitive pricing at the smaller dealership.
What did I buy? I purchased a 2110 comfort package model and got a “Killer” deal on it, etc… And it’s not pearl yellow!
I also had the option to get a 2012 model (white appealed to me) but I stayed with the 2010 for the following main reasons:
* Current financing for the 2010 is as low as 0.99%
* Anytime manufactures rework a model I wait a year to see what bugs get re-worked: Which many times there are
* Different tire brand, some front suspension tweaks, a little seat modifications, MP3 connection upgrade, tweaking of the audio system, and body resign were not enough changes for me. (Since I have a Garmin and an Evo 4G navigation on the bike, for an extra $2000, was something I can live without.)
* The relocation of the controls from above the tank (due to airbag) to the left side of the fairing I really didn’t like. It seems to me this may be more problematic for taking eyes off the road reaching down when adjusting controls.
* At this time accessories seem to be limited for the 2012
* 2010 American made J
Well, with all this said, I am extremely jazzed about getting a Goldwing. Thus, I plan to have a great time traversing through the highways and byways of Eastern Tennessee and Georgia. Yes, I will always be partial to the VTX though.

P

·
0 Posts
As a diehard VTX owner/rider I made the transition to the Goldwing arena. With this my daughter said: “Dad you looked cool on the VTX but the Goldwing… Well…” Out of the mouths of babes! Lol!
There are two Honda dealerships in my area… One is a power store and one is hometown shop. I have always had better service and competitive pricing at the smaller dealership.
What did I buy? I purchased a 2110 comfort package model and got a “Killer” deal on it, etc… And it’s not pearl yellow!
I also had the option to get a 2012 model (white appealed to me) but I stayed with the 2010 for the following main reasons:
* Current financing for the 2010 is as low as 0.99%
* Anytime manufactures rework a model I wait a year to see what bugs get re-worked: Which many times there are
* Different tire brand, some front suspension tweaks, a little seat modifications, MP3 connection upgrade, tweaking of the audio system, and body resign were not enough changes for me. (Since I have a Garmin and an Evo 4G navigation on the bike, for an extra $2000, was something I can live without.)
* The relocation of the controls from above the tank (due to airbag) to the left side of the fairing I really didn’t like. It seems to me this may be more problematic for taking eyes off the road reaching down when adjusting controls.
* At this time accessories seem to be limited for the 2012
* 2010 American made J
Well, with all this said, I am extremely jazzed about getting a Goldwing. Thus, I plan to have a great time traversing through the highways and byways of Eastern Tennessee and Georgia. Yes, I will always be partial to the VTX though.
Welcome to the club... You're going to love this motorcyce:thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Welcome and you're going to love it. Take your daughter out on it after you get comfortable and show her why this isn't your grandpa's goldwing! :thumbup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
:congrats: on the wing and welcome to the forum. You'll learn to love the wing as well.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I had a VTX before the wing, which I traded in. I never looked back. You sir...are going to love this bike.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I felt the same when I gave up the Valkyrie. The GW does everything the Valkyrie did (except look good) and more comfortable. I think you will feel the same way.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Also had a VTX (2005 1300R). There was a cool factor, but I grew tired of the noise and vibration on long distance rides.

Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's wrong with Hot Rod Yellow?!?!? :shrug:
Nothing, my wife liked the Pearl Yellow but I guess I just liked the metalic black better... Same color as my VTX.
The Honda dealers in my area are over stocked with Pearl Yellow.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:congrats: and welcome to the fun!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Yes, I will always be partial to the VTX though.

Wanna bet? I have a Nomad that I was going to be "always partial" too. It's for sale now. I don't ride it enough to keep it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You will never regret your decision, Welcome.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: on the new wing, and welcome to the forum!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Now if she said you would look sexy in high heels, would you consider that too? :joke: Gratz, and enjoy! Goldwing people are more independent, to my knowledge. :coffee1:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
:congrats: I did the exact same thing. The Goldwing is different, alright, because it's just a better design and is more comfortable, hands down. The VTX I had was nice, but one ride on the Goldwing and I was hooked.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Traded my VTX for the 2010 Yellow (Which I special ordered)
It takes about a week of riding the Goldwing before you get over the separation anxiety. Congratulations and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts