GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to ask the customer "any idea what the red thick fluid might be in the bottom of your air box ???" I had no idea. However, when he said "it's probably from my K & M air filter," it was like dahhh !!! However, I've removed many of those air filters, but have never seen any red fluid under one. He also had about 3" of red fluid in the bottom of his breather tube.

In the picture shown, and before I share what it is, can anyone spot the obvious error this customer made, and most others make when installing a K & M air filter ??? Hint ... it has nothing to do with the red fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
I can't seem to enlarge the picture but it looks like some type of silicone used on the O-Ring or in place of the O-Ring.

P.S. I believe the filter is K&N.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ya, what he said, where's the O-ring to seal the intake and protect it from dusting the engine.

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks ... I corrected the K&M to K&N. Sorry that the picture cannot be enlarged.

As for the error, there was no silicone used, so that is not the issue. The error is this ... apparently the installer didn't follow the simple instructions that come with a K&N air filter. If they'd been read, for 5th gens, it requires that the seal in the lower air box be removed ... it should not be there at all. It has to be removed so that the filter can seal correctly.

Hopefully the take-a-way is this ... read the instructions.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have never used a K&N filter so I wouldn't pick up on that one, but good to know going forward.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I had to ask the customer "any idea what the red thick fluid might be in the bottom of your air box ???" I had no idea. However, when he said "it's probably from my K & M air filter," it was like dahhh !!! However, I've removed many of those air filters, but have never seen any red fluid under one. He also had about 3" of red fluid in the bottom of his breather tube.

In the picture shown, and before I share what it is, can anyone spot the obvious error this customer made, and most others make when installing a K & M air filter ??? Hint ... it has nothing to do with the red fluid.

Some DIY owners are a danger to themselves.:grin2:

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Some DIY owners are a danger to themselves.:grin2:
Yes ... and their repair bills show it. For most, if there were other good places to take a GL1800 in for service and repair, it would be far cheaper for them to pay someone to do the work then it is for the do-it-your-selfers to do it themselves.

The same is true for me when I think I'm a plumber, an electrician, or a carpenter. I waist my weekends, lots of gas, wear and tear on the car, and all the "over purchasing" at Home Depot, trying to do it myself all the while thinking I am saving money !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts