GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me but as you can see from my newbie status were new to the Goldwing World (notice our background picture doesn't even have a GL in the backgroud). What I'm about to tell you is a true story. I did an oil change at about 2,500 miles (since I was about to ride from Florida to North Arkansas and back). I have since accomplished a second oil change (around 8,000 miles) but during the time inbetween the two oil changes we did not use the crush washer. :eek:4: Have we forever screwed up our beloved 2008 Goldwing Airbag? We didn't have so much as a drop of oil on the garage floor between those two oil changes but since we are simple folks (done grewed up in the South) we need to know if we have done damage that can't be repaired? If so than we need to sell this bike very quickly! We have farkled it up a little (list of extras available, send us a PM) so the asking price is $25K...very firm! We have maintenance records (than again I guess it doesn't matter with the crush washer situation).

Please remember $25K is a firm price (please don't ask what it cost us when we bought it just over a year ago with 4 miles on the odometer).

If we sell our Golwing we'll still lurk in on you guys from time to time (asking price is $25K no comprimise with all the Farkels but no Bling). Your posts are so interesting, funny, and informative when we have the time to visit.

Only exactly 10K miles on our wing in our 378 days of ownership.

Did I mention the asking price was $25K? It is a very firm price (crush washer situation considered).

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously...I'm trying to get the full story about the crush washers. It must be pretty good story since it always comes up so often. Please enlighten this newcomer. We only have time to visit about once or twice a week for a few minutes but this seems to come up so often so it must really be a funny story or a real concern.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Not really a big deal on the washer. It is an aluminum washer that 'crushes' to make a seal between the bolt head and the engine. Some will replace them every oil change; some will never change them; some won't even use them. It just happens to be one of those goofy topics everyone jokes about.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really a big deal on the washer. It is an aluminum washer that 'crushes' to make a seal between the bolt head and the engine. Some will replace them every oil change; some will never change them; some won't even use them. It just happens to be one of those goofy topics everyone jokes about.
Thanks for the reply. I have always wondered what the mystery was and I knew it must be a good story since it comes up so often. On our first oil change I just put the oil back in and then found the factory crush washer so of course I wasn't about to drain it again. Come to think about it our van hasn't had a crush washer on it since 2002.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have always wondered what the mystery was and I knew it must be a good story since it comes up so often. On our first oil change I just put the oil back in and then found the factory crush washer so of course I wasn't about to drain it again. Come to think about it our van hasn't had a crush washer on it since 2002.
Well since you did that I'll bet the FM radio doesn't work any longer;)

:yes1:

·
Registered
512 Posts
???:agree:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since you did that I'll bet the FM radio doesn't work any longer;)

:yes1:
FM Radio is in pretty good shape (AM too for that matter). 87K miles on the van (Mazda MPV). It has an occasional shift shock between second and third gear (pretty common from what I have researched and yes we have reflashed the codes) but that is the only problem. Perhaps caused by the lack of a crush washer? We have to go to bed now (long trip tomorrow and we won't be able to check in for a couple days minimum). We always enjoy this forum.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Crush washers serve a purpose, and if you keep a vehicle long enough you'll figure out what it is if you don't use a crush washer.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
The crush washer is a aluminum washer to help seal the oil drain hole. It also acts as a buffer for those garage mechanics who torque the bolt down too tight. Replacement of this washer is not really needed. Use of it is an insurance policy. Why else would Honda put this 10 cent part on the bike if they felt it was not needed:shrug:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks laen & White Gold for pointing out the importance of the washer. My response was flip and didn't indicate that. The last thing one wants to do is ruin the threads in the engine and the crush washer helps to prevent that.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I would never buy a wing knowing it was run without a crush washer! I don't care where your from. If I bought one and and found out it was run without a crush washer and wasn't told before hand, I'd be having my lawyer filling a law suit! Oh my, no crush washer:eek:4:, how could you!:22yikes::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
544 Posts
No crush washer? That is almost as bad as running a car tire on the back of a motorcycle!

·
Registered
307 Posts
If there is one thing I have learnt from this board is that the crush washer is important. I have read that some keep a spare in thier emergency kit. I dont have a spare yet. I do beleive that the Honda engineers started with the crush washer and built the Wing around it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
No Crush Washer????

Now you went and done it. :shock:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Whatever you do...absolutely, positively be 100% correct on the orientation of the crush washer! If you get it wrong, you could cause serious damage!!! Be careful and triple check it!

The small hole in the middle goes on the inside. If you install it any other way you will have problems. Notice the the location of the small hole and how it relates to the orientation of the washer. I cannot stress the importance of this enough!

I hope that helps save someone from causing serious damage. Just my way to give back to the GL1800 community.

:joke:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't know if the 30th Anniversary Wings are different, but on my '05, if I run it without the crush washer, I have to reconfabulate the Cannutti Valve and adjust the angle of the Johnson Rod where it attaches to the Frapistat.

I just hope you didn't fry your Muffler Bearings!!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The purchasing of crush washers has boosted the economy, created jobs and increased tax revenues keeping America treading water!!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts