GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GL1800 Level 4 Candy Alizarin Red
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While riding down the highway the other day and to my horror, my Zumo 665 fell out of it's cradle and onto the road.
I watched it do cart wheels down the highway in my side mirror. Pulled over and went back and retrieved it. Luckly no
one ran over it and would you believe it, it was still running and the screen was still intacted. I remounted it and made
sure it was securly in the cradle. All the functions still work and, at least so far, it continues to work fine. Other than a
few dents in the plastic at the corners of the unit I might have got away with this drop unscathed. Oh BTW, the silver
plastic ring that goes around the screen was broken, but I bought a new part to replace it and it fits fine.
Have any of you folks been lucky or unlucky enough to have this happen to you and the Garmin unit still works?

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
NOT my GPS BUT it happened to my cell phone..Stupid me, tried talking on it while riding, I then tried replacing it, into my storage case, but missed, and phone fell to the ground (at 45 mph)... by the time I stopped, put kickstand down, and ran back to get it, I realized a car ran over it, and found it in many pieces.. (many pieces) That's when I purchased my smart phone, instead of another flip phone...NEVER AGAIN, WILL I DO THAT AGAIN!

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Ok, not a GPS but my Adaptiv Radar Detector slipped out of its mount on a ride one day. I always take it off and when I left, in a hurry I might add, I failed to insert it in its cradle properly (there are two rails and I only got one engaged it seems). Anyway, rode home, about 70 miles, and when I got to some traffic and a bumpy road, due to the heavier traffic pattern, it slipped out as i accelerated away from a stop light.

The detector, bounced on the road a couple of times, in the left hand lane of a four lane road, and ended up near the median/turn area. I did a quick u-turn but before I got there a car rolled over the detector and, lucky for me, it squirted/pushed it in the median.

Stopped, got off the bike, picked it up and noticed it rattled. I mounted it, in both rails, powered it up and it worked.

Its now firmly attached on car dash and still works.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The 665 cradle is pretty solid. I wonder if the plunger was sticking a bit, which kept it from seating completely. It is really impressive that the GPS survived the tumble.

I wish Garmin would build an eyelet into the housing of the Zumo units to put a tether.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I use a Cradle Lock and if the GPS is not fully seated in the cradle, it will not lock. But before I got the Cradle Lock, I came close to having this happen once. I was still in my driveway not quite ready to hit the road when it popped off from not being fully seated. I almost forgot about a lock that I made and used for a while. It had the same "lock" principle of the Cradle Lock and it would not let me pull the key out if the GPS was not fully seated. The turning key raised or lowered the clamp and it had to go all the way down before the key would turn enough to let me remove it.

I also have a GPS level Wing, but I find the built-in to be useless for routing and there is no means of loading current maps (not the 2-3 year old stuff Honda put out as "New").. No turn list and it tracks very late, almost to the level of "turn back there" instead of "turn up there". The 06 I had did provide a turn list, but the button that did that on the '06 is the XM button on the '10. And the map dates on a brand new 2010 made just prior to the Ohio Plant closure came with 2007 maps. Both my Zumo's (595 & 660) will have July/August 2018 maps very soon..... I forget exactly when the quarterly update is due.

·
IronMan
19,408 Posts
I HAD GARMEN MOUNTED ON BARS AND THOUGHT WAS VELCROED IN . IT WAS NOT! WATCHED IT HIT AND SLIDE DOWN THE ROAD. PULLED OVER AND RAN BACK TO SEE IT LAYING ON CENTERLINE. WAS HOPE !! WAITED FOR TRAFFIC TO PASS. LAST VEHICLE WAS AN 18 WHEELER :surprise: WAS A SLIGHT CURVE IN ROAD. HE HIT THE GPS WIH ALL THE WHEELS ON DRIVERS SIDE. NEVER DID FIND ALL THE PIECES. :frown2: ANOTHER MEMORY I CAN LAUGH ABOUT …..NOW !

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
While riding down the highway the other day and to my horror, my Zumo 665 fell out of it's cradle and onto the road.
I watched it do cart wheels down the highway in my side mirror. Pulled over and went back and retrieved it. Luckly no
one ran over it and would you believe it, it was still running and the screen was still intacted. I remounted it and made
sure it was securly in the cradle. All the functions still work and, at least so far, it continues to work fine. Other than a
few dents in the plastic at the corners of the unit I might have got away with this drop unscathed. Oh BTW, the silver
plastic ring that goes around the screen was broken, but I bought a new part to replace it and it fits fine.
Have any of you folks been lucky or unlucky enough to have this happen to you and the Garmin unit still works?
Nope, I tether my Zumo as shown in my album below.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/members/22132-gatorwing-albums-tethering-zumo-665-picture22005-10838.html

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have used a standard car Garmin GPS with suction cup, same one on my third bike. I use a black elastic hairband that is about 1/4" wide which is attached to my slot in the window vent to wrap around the GPS one time. It conveniently catches it and I pull over and re-attach.

·
Registered
180 Posts

I seem to recall taking this picture to help someone out, likely from this forum. I had this on my 2005. Can’t say that I ever had the unit come out by accident with that thumbscrew add-on, and my handlebars rattled pretty good on a several occasions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have not lost anything but came close. Last year went on a 6K ride after Ram Mounting my GPS. No problems. 3 months later started on a 2K ride and made it 70 miles. Looked down and the two screws holding the clutch assy were wobbling. One screw was gone and the second was holding by about 2 threads. Bout had a heart attack thinking what could have happened. Luckily a NAPA dealer was 2 blocks away. He found two bolts the right length and right metrics. Tightened it all down and finished our trip. And I thought I had put lock tight on the two screws when mounting the Ram Mount. You never know.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My Garmin is on a suction cup in the center bottom of my windshield ... about once a year (when I have not checked it) it comes off and falls ... I have a fishing line tether that catches it before it can go more than six inches ... it is also held by the power cable.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Lowes or Home Depot sells cable tie anchors in the electrical department. Then get a 12" steel leader from the tackle box or fishing store if you don't have one in yours. Attach the anchor where it does not interfere with the mount. Loop leader through stick on anchor and clip other end to anything that will hold it.

On 3 occasions this rig saved my Zumo. The anchors are very strong, ask any electrician.

Sometimes you get in a rush, the unit is not in snugly and a pothole is waiting to test everything. :surprise:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
473 Posts
Last month as we were leaving Wisconsin Dells on the last leg of our trip (about 1,000 miles from home), my Garming 665 jumped from its mount and landed on my left leg. Thankfully my "crap what is that on my leg" reflexes kicked in to put a hand on it and I was able to reconnect it.

I'm sure it was my fault. After almost a decade I got lazy about snapping it in place and running my finger across the top to make sure the plunger was all the way down. It was a gentle reminder.

·
Registered
21,517 Posts
Hit a deer at 70mhp and my Nuvi 1450 came out of the cradle and slid down the road who knows how far, anyway when they were loading me in the ambulance some guy walks up and asks if this was my GPS and glove, yes it was my stuff still works but a couple years later I bought a new Zumo 595 and gave the old 1450 to one of my brothers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.