GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped my 1800ABS 2003 off today for ECM - mileage - and other stuff. Told them after they are all done do an oil change. I was asked what oli I want to use. Told them Mobile Red Cap. The service manager said DO NOT use auto oil. The additives that make it slippery slowly hurt your clutch plates. This makes the plates slip, and eventually causes hairline cracks. I've used Mobil One Red Cap on 6 Wings - its all I've used.

OH I am frightfully sorry to bring this up. BUT that's my mechanics recommendation. He knows how well I keep my bikes and doesn't care what oil I use.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I have not seen many service managers worth their weight in salt. You think this one is on the ball?

Bulldog

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH NO OIL

The service manager has been a mechanic for a long time and now is the manager. He also has no interest in selling any particular oil - type or brand. He gave me my choice of any type. They change my oil only when I need it and am there for some other reason. I do all my normal work. I've done it six times this is their second time. He also has been to all the 1800 mechanic schools.

I tend to believe him.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
I wonder how many upteen million miles has been put on auto oil in Wings. Very seldom if ever do you here of a clutch problem. Some of the early 15's had some tranmission problems after 300,000 miles! Ya think maybe it was the wrong oil? LOL....

I have ridden Wings for the last 24 years and I bet I haven't used m/c oil but a couple of times. Never a problem!

To each his own. They sell many different types so we do have many choices. :) I'll stick with my Syntec Blend 20/50.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Your mechanic made a general statement to cover a specific contingency. Mobil 1 Red Cap is not just any auto oil. It surpasses the specs of even most MC oils-including Honda's own oil!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts