GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on this chat site for years, but only as a passive lurker. Recently I found it neccessary to educate myself about cracked welds on the 1800. I want to thank everyone for their comments on this site, I have found them helpful. My 2001 Wing with 56300 miles passed the inspection for welds several years ago. Thanks to Fred's DVDs I have gotten serious over the years about maintaining the Wing. In my work a week ago, I discovered a crack in a frame weld. The crack is located in the middle of a weld and extends about 1.5". The crack is at the junction of a tubular protubance of the main frame and tubular support for the motorcycle seat. The tubular support is on the left side of the seat. I have filed a consumer complaint with NHTSA. I have contacted America Honda in California and they suggested I take the bike to a local Honda dealer. I have taken the bike to Fox Valley Honda in Aurora, Il. The service manager has requested the district manager look at the bike and give his disposition and Honda's stand on this problem. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. I want to be sure I have as much knowledge from people that have had this misfortune. Not only do I not know all the answers, I want to make sure I know all the questions to resolve this issue with a favorable outcome. Thanks ahead of time for any imput.

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
I have heard of only a few bikes (way back in 2002/03) that cracked the welds on the cross members under the seat. It seems like it was pretty rare for them to crack there. Back in those days, Honda was just replacing entire motorcycles that had cracked frames instead of welding them or replacing the frame.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably want a new frame, since they have been improved in several locations over your current 01 frame. But that means basically letting the dealer rebuild your bike from scratch, and a lot of down time.

A weld repair would be faster and require less disassembly, so in some respects that might be more desirable. I guess you have to see what options Honda gives you and then figure out where to go from there.

I'm not sure which I would trust more, letting the dealer totally strip the bike and rebuild it on a new frame, or letting someone weld it. One good thing I can say about having a total frame replace, is that several folks on here have gone through this, and I have not really heard of any reports of problems afterwards. Could it be that the dealers can actually do as good a job of building a new bike from the ground up as the Marysville factory does? I guess if you get a good mechanic on the job, then maybe the answer is "yes".

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fred,

Isn't this the same crack that many owners are seeing...near the passenger floorboard mounts?

Deano

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Fred,

Isn't this the same crack that many owners are seeing...near the passenger floorboard mounts?

Deano
Maybe I read his post wrong, but I took it to mean the top cross tube directly under the seat.

The crack is at the junction of a tubular protubance of the main frame and tubular support for the motorcycle seat. The tubular support is on the left side of the seat.
If it is in the location of the left passenger floor board, then it most definitely will require the frame to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred, thank you for all your input. The crack is in the top crosstube directly under the seat as you indicated in your first drawing. New frame,weld repair, or different bike, I will see what mother honda has to say and negoiate the best I can. My confidence in pre 2005 frames is not good, given my bike was inspected and passed the inspection several years ago. I have time to ruminate as to what their disposition will be and what options I have. :shrug:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Final Answer"

:thumbup:I wanted to give members an update on my cracked frame. It has taken several weeks to get an answer from "mother honda". But they have responded. I occassionally tow a uni-go trailer and Honda wanted all the data on the trailer. I referred them to the Uni-go website. Honda has agreed to send my dealer a new frame and pay for the frame and it's installation on my bike. I will have to pay for the removal and replacement of all accessories. The area of the break does not lend itself well to welding as the tubing supporting the seat is thin. The new frame will be stamped with my original VIN number and will not effect the title staus of the bike. I am pleased with Honda's decision. I want to thank all who have posted their frame breaks and the disposition of their claims. The information has been helpful and gave me potential data had Honda decided not to replace the frame. I will ride comfortably knowing I have a safe and dependable motorcycle. Vehicles can have problems,but I have always had good reliability and service with Honda products including my s2000 and Pilot.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
My confidence in pre 2005 frames is not good, given my bike was inspected and passed the inspection several years ago. I have time to ruminate as to what their disposition will be and what options I have. :shrug:
The area that your frame cracked is unrelated to the inspection. The only thing that was inspected during the recall was the welds on a crossmember under the bike, near the center stand. At the time, this was the only area of concern.

Honda is replacing your frame as customer goodwill. (and probably fear that the NHTSA will force another recall.) The recall that happened back then didn't apply to the problem you have.

Glad to see that they are taking care of you. Hope everything turns out ok.

·
Registered
545 Posts
More facts you nshould be aware of

There was a class action against honda because of these cracked frames and Honda settled the suit by agreeing to replace/repair any of these frames. I read the settlement somewhere here on this site through a link. You would be well advised to see exactly what they agreed to in the settlement - perhaps you can get them to pay for stripping and rebuilding - I for one certainly think they should.

·
Registered
545 Posts
More info you should know

A few years ago there was a class action suit against Honda because of these cracked welds. The outcome of the lawsuit was that Honda agree to repair/replace any past and future cracks. I read the settlement via a link from somewhere on this site. I certainly think they should be paying to strip and rebuild it as you are looking a a huge expense here.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
From what he stated, it sounds like Honda is paying for the frame replacement. He is just having to pay for the removal and replacement of accessories, ie farkles.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
A few years ago there was a class action suit against Honda because of these cracked welds. The outcome of the lawsuit was that Honda agree to repair/replace any past and future cracks. I read the settlement via a link from somewhere on this site. I certainly think they should be paying to strip and rebuild it as you are looking a a huge expense here.
You need to read the settlement again. That class action lawsuit doesn't cover the whole frame. It only addresses the cracks that were part of the original recall for the lower crossmember. The location of the crack being discussed here has never been part of a recall or lawsuit.

In fact, that class action was kind of meaningless anyway, because the only thing it accomplished was to ensure that Honda honors the recall for the life of the bike.

Honda is already doing this on their own, and isn't even obligated to replace it for free under any recall, warranty, or lawsuit, so it probably wouldn't be wise to try and force them to cover the labor for his accessories.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You got a screamin' deal. This is why I have a Honda car and 2 Honda motorcycles. They made good on their bad.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
glad your out come is favorable. I had an 02 and really loved that bike, the frame was re welded during the recall but I always had it in the back of my mind the possibility of the frame cracking somewhere down the line. I ride solo and don't pull a trailer, but the thought was always there, now with my 08 I don't worry about anything.
MY 02 WING

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Sounds like Honda is stepping up to the plate. They didn't even try to deny it based on pulling a trailer, which is surprising to me!

At least the frame will be better than new.:congrats:

:biker:

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
:thumbup:I wanted to give members an update on my cracked frame. It has taken several weeks to get an answer from "mother honda". But they have responded. I occassionally tow a uni-go trailer and Honda wanted all the data on the trailer. I referred them to the Uni-go website. Honda has agreed to send my dealer a new frame and pay for the frame and it's installation on my bike. I will have to pay for the removal and replacement of all accessories. The area of the break does not lend itself well to welding as the tubing supporting the seat is thin. The new frame will be stamped with my original VIN number and will not effect the title staus of the bike. I am pleased with Honda's decision. I want to thank all who have posted their frame breaks and the disposition of their claims. The information has been helpful and gave me potential data had Honda decided not to replace the frame. I will ride comfortably knowing I have a safe and dependable motorcycle. Vehicles can have problems,but I have always had good reliability and service with Honda products including my s2000 and Pilot.

I'm really glad to hear that Honda is stepping up to the plate and replacing frames on these bikes. Not only is it the right thing to do, I think in the end it ultimately helps Honda when customers feel confident that they will stand behind their product, and makes all of us more likely to buy a new Wing from them when that time comes around.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I'm really glad to hear that Honda is stepping up to the plate and replacing frames on these bikes. Not only is it the right thing to do, I think in the end it ultimately helps Honda when customers feel confident that they will stand behind their product, and makes all of us more likely to buy a new Wing from them when that time comes around.
I agree, of course. It's the right thing to do, as you mentioned. I wonder when Honda will own up to the poorly designed top case and provide a fix under a TSB? My 2008 is already showing major chafing at 2000 miles!

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I agree, of course. It's the right thing to do, as you mentioned. I wonder when Honda will own up to the poorly designed top case and provide a fix under a TSB? My 2008 is already showing major chafing at 2000 miles!
Not familiar with that problem, Ben. Can you explain or show photo?

prs

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Not familiar with that problem, Ben. Can you explain or show photo?

prs
There are 9 or 10 separate threads on this Board discussing the subject beginning shortly after the beginning of the GL1800 model run. The lid chafes on the bottom of the top case. It first removes the paint and over time can wear through. Honda denies knowing about the defect yet has replaced lids for some who complained loudly. There are even a couple aftermarket kits to "fix" the defect. Please search fro "trunk lid chafing" for more and better information than I can supply.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
673 Posts
Honda replace the frame on my 02. They asked the shop foreman if it had a trailer hitch or a car tire on it. He said it had both. and they fixed it anyway.
thomas

·
Registered
419 Posts
Honda replace the frame on my 02. They asked the shop foreman if it had a trailer hitch or a car tire on it. He said it had both. and they fixed it anyway.
thomas
Honda may be asking the questions as a way to collect data (# of failures stock vs pulling a trailer) rather than a way to deny claims. No way to know, but they may as well get the info considering that each fix / replacement is costing them a few $$$.

Wonder if someone who tows something heavy like a camping trailer for lots of miles would get denied. :shrug:

By the way, congrats 2001bluetoy on getting approved for the new frame. Hope they do a good job for you.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts