GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on the phone with Garmin tech support trying to get my Zumo 396 working, he asked me to disconnect the wires from the accessory screws, and go directly to the battery. While doing that and talking to him on the phone, having to use some extra wire as an extension, I inadvertently connected the negative battery teminal to the positive one for a second. There were sparks and the part of the wire connected to the positive terminal got nice and warm... I said, oops and carried on, never able to get the gps working properly.... bad power cable was the diagnosis and a new cable is being sent to me.

Before putting the side cover back on I figured I should start the bike, just in case the sparks did something..... key on, everything normal... press starter button....CLICK. Nothing. All lights go off. Key off, key on. All lights off!! @#$&#@!!!!!!!

What have I messed up?

I’ve now put a battery charger on it, and the battery was somewhere below 25%. It’s charging now, and The lights turn on when I turn the key on, which is a huge relief. I haven’t tried starting it yet though....

Should I? What could have happened?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE

After writing the above message, I went back out to the garage.... the charger was at less than 50% charged, so I turned the key on and started the bike (with my breath held). It started! I let it run for a while with the charger still attached, and within a few minutes the battery moved up to close to 100% charged....

Shut it off and started it again. All seems fine. PHEW!

But, I’d still like to know what happened , if anyone can tell me.

Reactions: Art H. and Kenichi

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Sounds to me like you discharged yer battery fiddling around with the GPS....

Mattbcnv

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope that’s all it is!

I find electrical systems confusing, and when I see sparks it scares me!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I doubt that the new power cable will take care of the problem. The reverse polarity probably fried the GPS.

Also, I would never run the bike with a battery charger connected.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gps isn’t fried. I didn’t reverse the polarity of the gps. I basically connected the + to the - on the bike battery.

The proeblem with the GPS appears to be the power cable. Brand new GPS, used it for the first time last weekend. Throughout my ride the power to the unit kept cutting out - screen said that power had been disconnected, and it would shut down in 15 seconds. I jiggled the power cords, power came back on. Today it would only stay connected for a few seconds at a time. It’s an intermittent problem, I’m thinking maybe with the little transformer on the power cable that converts the voltage to the gps from 12 to 5.6 or whatever the zumo runs on.

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
I doubt that the new power cable will take care of the problem. The reverse polarity probably fried the GPS.

Also, I would never run the bike with a battery charger connected.
Not disagreeing but why is that???

Mattbcnv

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts

Mattbcnv
Because various electrical components can fry. On GoldWings it is not even a good idea of jump start one using a car battery. I believe there are warnings in the Owner's Manual about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had the same exact problem with my 396. First power cord/transformer lasted just a few minutes. Got a free replacement and has been fine for 17,000 miles now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had the same exact problem with my 396. First power cord/transformer lasted just a few minutes. Got a free replacement and has been fine for 17,000 miles now.
Good to know. Garmin is sending me one, but I’m in Canada and they’re sending it from their US warehouse so it will take a while to get here. In the meantime, I’m leaving for a 2 week trip next Saturday, which is the reason I got the GPS. I may break down and buy one locally and then have a backup when the other one arrives.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because various electrical components can fry. On GoldWings it is not even a good idea of jump start one using a car battery. I believe there are warnings in the Owner's Manual about it.
I know about not jumpstarting with a car battery...although I’ve done it on another bike with no issues.... my current battery charger is a 1.1V Nocco G1100 “smart” charger. Not sure if it would be able to damage anything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After leaving the charger on all night, this morning the battery shows 100%. I’m heading out for the weekend on the bike, leaving in a couple of hours, hoping I didn’t mess up the battery somehow and prevent it from holding a charge.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I just learned something here (thanks Gregg) what if car was not running, and connected to car's battery....

Ronnie

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
I just learned something here (thanks Gregg) what if car was not running, and connected to car's battery....

Ronnie
Here's what Honda says in an Owner's Manual.

"Jump starting is not recommended, especially if you use an automobile battery. The greater amperage of an automobile battery when the car engine is running can damage your motorcycle’s electrical system.
Bump starting is also not recommended.
If you can’t charge the battery or it appears unable to hold a charge, contact your Honda dealer."

I'm trying to think why "bump starting" is not recommended. Maybe Honda really means pushing it with a car. I'm thinking they mean push starting. If that's the case, they probably know that depending on the rider skill level, it can be a safety issue ... might cause the rider to loose control, and the bike fall down and go boom.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Bump starting a 900 lb fuel injected bike with a dead battery would be very difficult. It needs some juice for the efi to work.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,363 Posts

Mattbcnv
I agree partly. Running the bike with a charger connected could damage the charger. The alternator can put out a lot of current if it “thinks” the system needs it. The charger being connected could cause a false load sensed by the alternator and smoke the charger or possibly something on the bike. Cheap chargers don’t have protection built into them to keep this from happening, quality ones do have protection and won’t care.

This doesn’t pertain to those that are jump/booster capable, they expect the charging system to come online as soon as the engine starts.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,363 Posts
Here's what Honda says in an Owner's Manual.

"Jump starting is not recommended, especially if you use an automobile battery. The greater amperage of an automobile battery when the car engine is running can damage your motorcycle’s electrical system.
Bump starting is also not recommended.
If you can’t charge the battery or it appears unable to hold a charge, contact your Honda dealer."

I'm trying to think why "bump starting" is not recommended. Maybe Honda really means pushing it with a car. I'm thinking they mean push starting. If that's the case, they probably know that depending on the rider skill level, it can be a safety issue ... might cause the rider to loose control, and the bike fall down and go boom.
Yes, running along side a 900 lbs. motorcycle could get ugly especially if you lose balance and it goes over away from you while in forward motion.:frown2:

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Bump starting a 900 lb fuel injected bike with a dead battery would be very difficult. It needs some juice for the efi to work.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk
With a weak battery, that has enough power left to run the fuel system, but not enough to maintain the voltage while cranking they can be bump started.

When I've done one I was sitting on the seat and paddle walking to get bike motion.
I wouldn't be brave enough to try it while walking beside the bike.

BTDT.

Certainly if it's necessary its time to diagnoses the reason and correct.

One of the disadvantages of DCT -- no back-up starting method.

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
Owners up north, who store their Wings in the winter with a synthetic oil, and who have the symptom "starter spins but not the engine" push start them all the time. A person pushes from the back while the rider is sitting on the seat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts