GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a friend call me to tell me how good the bike ran all summer after fixing him up this spring. Then he asked if I was out working on bikes now and I told him that I was cleaning my Own bike up after riding to Colorado and back. That’s when he replied with the above. Funny how differently folks will ride their bike’s, some will do charity events and veterans support events near by. Other’s do iron butt events and seem to never be home. Or once in a lifetime ride’s to Alaska, it all makes the world go round, don’t it? Told a coworker that I ran to Cheyenne the first night for 1,010 miles, and he said ‘no way-how can your butt handle that?’ He ride’s the HD brand, but ya can’t hold that against him either. Some just can, and some can’t. My reply to the ‘oh yeah, you like long ride’s’ was “it’s the best way, I think, to travel and see this country. Ride on everybody, ride on.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Different strokes for different folks, pretty surprising what who will do what sometimes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am at the other end of the spectrum. I bought my Goldwing to commute 40 miles to work. My longest ride on the Goldwing has been 60 miles. I guess that I am just fair weather rider. I have thought about taking a long ride but just have not done it. Too much work and too much play ( other than riding ).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I ride mine to commute the 35 miles to work and save a dollar on fuel out here in Ca, I also like a nice all day Saturday ride as long as it’s just not all freeway riding....I do that for commuting.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Life is full of choices......

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
872 Posts
The last 4 years wife and I say we are riding west to California. Last 4years I have had both hips replaced and right knee. Long rides were put on back burner. Right hip was done in August this year and I’m getting antsy to get on it again. Have gone from walker to cane and starting to not use either in 5 weeks. I am determined to get back on.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...>Told a coworker that I ran to Cheyenne the first night for 1,010 miles, and he said ‘no way-how can your butt handle that?’ He ride’s the HD brand, but ya can’t hold that against him either. Some just can, and some can’t. My reply to the ‘oh yeah, you like long ride’s’ was “it’s the best way, I think, to travel and see this country. Ride on everybody, ride on.
True. I think many of us have that relationship with a rider who rides 'differently' than we do.

I mess with a 40+ year friend of mine regularly. He got into riding late in life, and is now teaching motorcycle riding courses where he lives.

So, he sits there in amazement at some of the LD rides that I have done. I told him that I'd have zero ability to teach anyone how to ride a motorcycle.

Of course, I've told him that I'd be willing to meet him 2/3'rds of the way between here and his home in order to do a weekend of riding. He has yet to take me up on this offer. :lol: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Just got back from Home to Rockport Maine last night ..536 miles R/T [4 1/2 hour each way] plus another 400+ miles riding around with the Dutcher's (the folks that started the Americade Rally's in Lake George)
A wonderful time was had!

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have never had a desire to Iron Butt, 4 Corners or do 3 Flags like rides, however 2000 - 4000 mile trips are quite common. I guess it's because I grew up traveling the country on family trips with the station wagon polling a trailer, pushing the miles on interstates, coast to coast to get to parks and sites.
Today in my adult life I may still go to the parks and sites but avoid those Interstate Hwy;s and take the scenic routes. Sure see a lot more than just hammering the Highways and appreciate so much I missed as a child.
Between those trip-tours we enjoy day and weekend get a way's. Reserve the car for boring normal driving! But I'm always inviting my short rider friends to experience motorcycle touring. It is amazing how many people have the right ride to do this, but never express the desire to get out there for a few days or more!

To each their own.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
different people enjoy different things. I prefer to stay off the slab. It's a necessary evil, but we just did ~200 miles yesterday, and noted it was a shorter day that we were accustomed to.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...>I guess it's because I grew up traveling the country on family trips with the station wagon polling a trailer, pushing the miles on interstates, coast to coast to get to parks and sites.<...>
I'd like to think that many of us of our age were fortunate enough to have done some of that type of travel.

As a kid, I didn't truly appreciate it, because I was frequently car-sick on trips like those. Ugh.

There were a couple of times we moved - and it was across the country. So, we'd take a couple of days, stop and visit family, move a couple more days, etc. until we reached our destination. If it wasn't for AAA and those ubiquitous Trip-Tik maps, we'd be hopelessly lost. :lol:

I'll say this, though. There are certain areas of the country that the Interstate Highway System was the right tool for the job - even when it was new back in the 1960's. Thus, much of the traveling that may have been planned in that era would be on those latest-and-greatest technological marvels we as a country sunk billions of dollars of investment into.

There's something to be said about slowing down in 40 different small towns along the way. Giving the local constabulary an opportunity to play with those radar and laser speed measurement devices, particularly when you can 'sniff them out', isn't such a bad time. Sometimes :lol: :lol:

To each their own.
Emphatically agree, Dave.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Rides

I love multi-day trips going between 300 and 1100 miles per day. However, most of my riding is local in 30-150 mile hunks for the sake of time. I can frequently take a couple of hours to go ride, but only occasionally can I take a week. I also live in Kansas so we have a few months with miserable weather. If it hurts to take my heated gloves off to put gas in the tank, it is not fun for me.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Lets Ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts