GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start this to give us a few places to ride to. I would like to see how many people are able to visit all four corners of the state this summer. The problem is: what do you call the South East corner?? Any ideas? The North West is easy. There is a marker and sign that marks the spot where the three states come together. Maybe someone from Cincinnati area could give us a place to take a photo to log the South West corner. And maybe someone could say where is the best place to get a picture for proof in the North East corner. Anybody else going to try and do this? I don't know about you but I bought my wing to ride! :lol: We need to post pictures of each point for proof.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I thought I would start this to give us a few places to ride to. I would like to see how many people are able to visit all four corners of the state this summer. The problem is: what do you call the South East corner?? Any ideas? The North West is easy. There is a marker and sign that marks the spot where the three states come together. Maybe someone from Cincinnati area could give us a place to take a photo to log the South West corner. And maybe someone could say where is the best place to get a picture for proof in the North East corner. Anybody else going to try and do this? I don't know about you but I bought my wing to ride! :lol: We need to post pictures of each point for proof.
Boomer - you are correct - I did this years ago, only not having the exact locations except the one 3 miles from my house! SW corner marker is on US 50 at the Ohio and Indiana lines. The real corner for the SW is in the Ohio River. The NW marker as you said is there.

The SE is a mystery - I worked in surveying for a number of years and the exact location was never actually located - except that there is no marker. The closest location would be just north of Marietta on Route 7 - between Orchard Road (713) and Bells Run. Guessitmates about 10 miles from the I-77 overpass at Route 4 to what is suspected to be the location where a marker could be placed. This is a guesstimate due to the fact that Centerburg was being used as a pivot point. Thus depending on the exact center of Ohio, the SE location is, to me, just a wild a$$ guess.

NE Ohio has no official marker that I could find. If so, it would be somewhere around Conneaut and north east.

If anyone wants to come to the SW corner - notify me, and if I am in the area - you will get a free lunch from me.

I have the Original Land Subdivisions book back to 1925

And the map

And for the NE - see the upper right hand corner - Conneaut

That's all folks - get close and that should be close enough!

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
That's super cool , I love old maps .

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Ohio

It sounds like something I would like to do, once you establish where the 4 corners are. Keep us posted. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great idea for an inside the state tour. I haven't been to the SE portion of Ohio between the US 35 crossing at Gallipolis and the Wheeling area. Is the river visible from any roads along that portion of the state? I have done US 52 from Cincinnati to the Hungtington area several times and enjoy that ride.

I also come from the Cincinnati area originally, and worked at the power plant which is located right at the far SW corner of the state. US 50 at the Indiana border is close enough to this SW corner for a ride like this. For someone who wants to invest a little more time in the area could head to Brower road at the power plant which is technically closer to it. The corner is defined by the confluence of the Great Miami River and the Ohio River, which is occupied by the power plant. It would cost you an additional 15 minutes to do this.

I also have not been up to the NE corner much at all, so it is good to hear about how to best reach that point.

I have ridden the western edge of Ohio along Ohio 49 which heads all the way from the Dayton area up to Michigan. I found the Fort Recovery monument to be an interesting stop along the way. I had no idea about the battle that had taken place there until I stopped there. It looks like route 49 at the Michigan border is fairly close. Another option for the NW corner would be US 20 at the Indiana border.

Anybody else have any "must-see" stops along the routes of this 4 corner tour?

Sounds like fun no matter how you choose to observe the official corners.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This morning, before reading this I turned in the last of my vacation for the year. And now this, I am very interested in this ride. But for next yr. When you diside on what the corners are let us know. Little John

·
Registered
835 Posts
For the southeast corner, there used to be an old marker on the OH/PA border, along the Ohio River, where Ohio Rte 39 becomes PA Rte 68.

·
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses!

Ok, here's what I'm going to use. In the South West corner I am going to use the burial site of the ninth President of the United states of America, William Henry Harrison. It is in North Bend Ohio just off route 50.

For the North West corner I am going to use the marker where the states all come together. If you come in from the North you will have to travel about a mile on a gravel road to get to the marker. I don't know how far you would have to travel on the gravel road coming from the South.

I'm sorry but the Oh-PA boarder seems too close to the North East corner. I am going to use the marker for the collapse of the Silver Bridge at Gallipolis Ohio. It is located on route 7 close to the exit ramp off route 35.

OK, Here is my problem, I have no idea of what to use for the marker at the North East corner. I have never been there and don't know what would be a good point to use. Hopefully someone else is familiar with this area and can set a target for us.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Thanks for all the responses!

Ok, here's what I'm going to use. In the South West corner I am going to use the burial site of the ninth President of the United states of America, William Henry Harrison. It is in North Bend Ohio just off route 50.

For the North West corner I am going to use the marker where the states all come together. If you come in from the North you will have to travel about a mile on a gravel road to get to the marker. I don't know how far you would have to travel on the gravel road coming from the South.

I'm sorry but the Oh-PA boarder seems too close to the North East corner. I am going to use the marker for the collapse of the Silver Bridge at Gallipolis Ohio. It is located on route 7 close to the exit ramp off route 35.

OK, Here is my problem, I have no idea of what to use for the marker at the North East corner. I have never been there and don't know what would be a good point to use. Hopefully someone else is familiar with this area and can set a target for us.
Boomer - Item # 1 - Conneaut is the most North Eastern city in Ohio. Try the White Turkey Drive In which is only about 3/4 of a mile from the PA line. 388 East Main Street just outside of Conneaut!

What is this...???

Item # 2

( I am going to use the marker for the collapse of the Silver Bridge at Gallipolis Ohio. It is located on route 7 close to the exit ramp off route 35.
)

That is not even close to the SE Corner - if there is a corner. Grab an Ohio Map lay a yardstick from the NW Corner thru Centerburg and see that it is just a little north of Marietta on Route 7 somewhere around Lower Newport. I have been through there many times while working the Parkersburg District. Nearby is Willow Island Lock and Dam right on the river at 32400 Ohio 7. My suggestion would be at the Lock and Dam - restroom available!

Check it out, is all I am saying!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Boomer - William Henry Harrison Tomb

My 2008 Wing there a couple years ago.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
What is this...???

Item # 2

( I am going to use the marker for the collapse of the Silver Bridge at Gallipolis Ohio. It is located on route 7 close to the exit ramp off route 35.
)
Boomer has been watching a lot of TV on his bike lately. He just hasn't been as close attention as he use to. :shrug: Just saying...

:lol:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Boomer has been watching a lot of TV on his bike lately. He just hasn't been as close attention as he use to. :shrug: Just saying...

:lol:
I figured as much... :agree: :cool:

·
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boomer - Item # 1 - Conneaut is the most North Eastern city in Ohio. Try the White Turkey Drive In which is only about 3/4 of a mile from the PA line. 388 East Main Street just outside of Conneaut!

What is this...???

Item # 2

)

That is not even close to the SE Corner - if there is a corner. Grab an Ohio Map lay a yardstick from the NW Corner thru Centerburg and see that it is just a little north of Marietta on Route 7 somewhere around Lower Newport. I have been through there many times while working the Parkersburg District. Nearby is Willow Island Lock and Dam right on the river at 32400 Ohio 7. My suggestion would be at the Lock and Dam - restroom available!

Yes that will work. I know it was not across from Cinn. but I could not think of what we could use. That is what I was hoping for, a little help from someone that has done this before. So now it will be a picture of the Lock and Dam or a sign from there. Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I remember a long time ago the AMA magazine had a story about a guy who rode to every town in Ohio one summer. That's a pretty big state and there's a lot of towns, and he had to get back home by the end of the weekend and get to work on Monday, if I remember correctly. Seemed like a cool thing to me.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I remember a long time ago the AMA magazine had a story about a guy who rode to every town in Ohio one summer. That's a pretty big state and there's a lot of towns, and he had to get back home by the end of the weekend and get to work on Monday, if I remember correctly. Seemed like a cool thing to me.
Hijack the hijack ---

Another idea to keep riders awake looking at maps and using fuel...
So, how about an Alphabet Tour of Ohio? I have done it 29 years ago. Ohio has a town that starts with every letter of the alphabet. A could be somewhere like Aberdeen, B could be Blue Creek, C could be Cleves, D could be Defiance and on and on. OK what about X - that could be Xenia and Z could be Zanesville! That was a fun tour.

·
Registered
669 Posts

What is this...???

Item # 2

)

Item 1 -- https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...2!3m1!1s0x883213e647fd14bb:0x4c11f64a76cbf163 N.E.
Item # 2 https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...m2!3m1!1s0x8849c7cf2d2b603f:0x3bb81abd584fa6e S.E. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6903944,-84.8061723,1632m/data=!3m1!1e3 N.W.___? https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...2!3m1!1s0x8841cdbd4ac5a67f:0x2c5b8bffabd228ee S.W.

·
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

J1000, it looks like you know where all the points are! :thumbup: When are you going to start posting pictures of all four?? :lol: It looks like the North West corner should not be that far for you. The closes point for me would be the South West and it is almost 2 1/2 hours away. Hmm!!! Looks like maybe a Tuesday run to see RR and the Retired and Riding bunch.

·
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious, is the intent of a four corners ride to get to all four corners of the state in the same day? I trying to estimate how many miles that would be.

WOW! That would be up to the individual. I could not do it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts