GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I have a job interview in Ohio tomorrow. I now live in Louisiana and just wondering if you Ohio folks can give me information about living in Ohio. I have NEVER been in snow, play or lived. The location would be in Findlay. Any info is helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
:22yikes:It snows in Findlay...cold...snow...t-storms...snow :shock:....If it's like central Ohio...sun goes away in mid-Oct...and does not come back into mid-May!? :cus: Oh...and mud! Are you scared yet?

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Sports
Louisana
NFL Saints
Basketball Pelicans

Ohio
Cincinnati reds baseball
Cleveland Indians baseball
bengals NFL
Browns NFL
Cavailiers NBA
Blue Jackets NHL
whats not to love about sports in Ohio.
-
Louisiana
weather is hot and bothering
Ohio
Cold and tornado's.
Whats not to love

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ohio

Southern Ohio, especially south eastern, has a lot of Dragonesque highways.

Once north of Chillicothe and west of Hillsboro it is pretty flat.

The good riding extends way down into Kentucky and east into WVA.

Ed

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
My favorite road in south east Ohio is the Triple Nickle. It's a roller coast ride of a road. It's not more than 600' in elevation difference, but as the road tops the many ridges it surprises you as to where it goes. It could sharply go to the left or right or even straight, but your stomach will certainly have a vertical up and down exercise as you feel weightless going over the ridges.

I usually pick it up off of US-50, just over the OH/WV border and ride it to Zanesville, just off of I-70

A must ride by anyone near there!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Perhaps someone who lives in Findlay will come along and give you specific information about the city and area. Until then, I can tell you a little about where I live - Wakeman, Ohio about 90 miles east-northeast of Findlay (about 50 miles southwest of Cleveland). In short, May through October - Nice! November through April - the pits!

It is pretty nice weather starting in late April or May (60's and 70's), gets hot in the summer (June, July, August) (though not nearly as hot as Louisiana I suspect). Cools down in September (nicest month in my opinion). October can be nice (50's and some 60's), but it has snowed here in early October as well.

The "pits" is November through late March - it never cools down gradually (or warms gradually) - it gets cold fast and tends to stay cold until late March into April. Frequent snow and constant wind day after day (I suspect Findlay may be worse for wind than where I live since it is flatter out there). This past winter has been the worst ever - basically dropped below freezing in November and never really bumped above freezing much until very late March. Plus, there were a couple of "polar vortex" things with -10 to -15 degree lows.

In past winters, there have usually been a couple of days each month where you can sneak the wing out for a ride, but not during this recent winter - I got mine out for the first time in April since parking it in November.

I have lived here all my life (57 years) and winter is really starting to get the best of me (especially this last one). I am not sure how well you like or dislike Louisiana, but I would have a very difficult time coming from a place where you can do things outside for much of the year to a place where nearly half the year is crossed out because of the miserable weather.

However, some people take it in stride and walk, run, cross-country ski, etc. no matter how cold or bad it is outside. Just depends on the person, I guess. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Somebody found a job opening in Ohio? For real?

Summers here are beautiful. Warm at nigh, but usually not too bad. Summers get humid, but not as bad as down south, and temps not quite as high. Getting into the 90's is a weather event up here, but we can get into the triple digits every couple of years.

Winter? Well, it takes some getting used to. We average about 55-60" per year here in Cleveland, so it's not as bad as places like Buffalo and Minnesota. (had 98" or something like that this year.) You are away from the Lake Erie snow belt over there, so snow totals might be less. Expect a brutal cold or snowy winter about every 5-7 years. Subzero temps about 5-10 days each winter, and you can expect stretches of 3-4 weeks where the high temps won't reach 32 degrees. That is the heart of winter. You might find winter cold to be a fair tradeoff for getting away from the heat and humidity of summer.

You are away from the major cities, so traffic shouldn't be too bad. That's good for a winter commute, but the roads might not get cleared of snow as quickly. Never been to Findlay in the winter. Ohio uses nothing but salt for melting snow, at least in the major metropolitan areas. Sand and gravel are banned in those areas.

The area you are moving to is the most boring motorcycle riding in the state. Nearly the entire Northwest is flat, with straight roads. The closest to great riding is in Amish country, just south of Akron, and anything South or especially southeast. You can extend your riding season to 9 or 10 months with heated gear, just stay off the roads until the salt gets washed off in the spring.

We have skeeters, but you have even more down there. Overall, Ohioans are taxed pretty high compared to many other parts of the country, but home prices are reasonable. Get a house with a basement. Flat country is prime for tornadoes. The threat isn't real bad like Kansas, but we get quite a few across the state every year.

Lastly, Are you ready to give up LSU for the Buckeyes? LSU fans are not allowed here. :lol:

That's about all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Great place to grow up. The "rust belt". State has been in economic decline for two decades. Growing social plague of choice is heroin. Good mix of urban and rural communities. Good Universities. Lots of second, third and fourth generation German and Eastern European immigrants who like beer and do amazingly tasty things with dead hogs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The roads in this part of Ohio are flat and straight and you should see plenty of corn in the summer.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Ohio has about the same weather as Michigan.

we have 4 seasons
allmost winter
winter
still winter
construction

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Findley has to be a nicer place to leave than northern Ohio. Not much for work up this way. Weather... well, you get used to it. This last winter was cooooold... If you're into arts, plays, museums etc. Lots to do on a weekend jaunt up this way. Head east from Findley for some great riding roads. That's usually the direction I head. I second route 555. There's lot of others, just not as challenging. If you like historical, lots of that to see. Take a weekend up to Ashtabula area and do the covered bridge ride.

Bottom line, lots to do here, if you actually spend the time to do it. It seems a lot of people born and raised her spend more time complaining about the weather etc, rather than actually getting out and doing things. It all depends on your personality.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I live about 20 miles from Findlay and can assure you that it is one of the nicest smaller cities in Ohio. It has the advantage of being headquarters for two major companies -- Marathon Oil and Cooper Tire Company which provide a wide tax base and amenities not found in most small cities. It has a highly regarded university (University of Findlay) and medical facility. As a result, there is a variety of housing, golf courses, restaurants, shopping, etc. Findlay is very clean, has a relatively low crime rate and was featured a few years ago in the Wall Street Journal as a model small city. It is also within an easy drive to Columbus, Toledo, Cleveland and Cincinnati for large city amenities. Drop me a PM if you have specific questions or if I can otherwise assist you.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I don't think there was any intent to bash Findlay. I apologize if MY post sounded that way.

My only negative was that the Northwest quadrant of Ohio is not the best motorcycle riding territory in Ohio.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't think there was any intent to bash Findlay. I apologize if MY post sounded that way.

My only negative was that the Northwest quadrant of Ohio is not the best motorcycle riding territory in Ohio.
I think your post was a fair assessment regarding the weather and riding. However, there are nice, winding roads not far away in counties adjacent to Findlay's Hancock County (i.e. Wyandot, Seneca, Hardin, Wood -- Grand Rapids area north of Bowling Green, etc. -- especially areas following rivers.) And of course the really great riding in the areas you mentioned is only a few hours away.

I know I sound like a shill for the Chamber of Commerce but I have lived in a number of states (Kentucky, NJ, PA & Central Ohio) and we really like it here best. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow thanks for all the replies. I just got back from Findlay, what a nice town. Clean Clean Clean, small (a good thing) nice homes, friendly people. Yes Marathon might just offer me a position there. I will need some wing friends to help me out if I go north.

Yes I might go north but not giving up LSU, they go with me in heart and soul. I grew up in baton rouge and graduated for LSU so go figure!!

I was looking out of the airplane window on the way up there Thursday and it is FLAT!! FLATER than Louisiana (at least where I live north of Baton Rouge 35 miles) and the roads are straight!!

I will keep you wingers posted on what I do.

Thanks

Freddy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts