GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are on our way to Nashville on September 10th leaving from Mississauga, Ontario and travelling across the border at Erie. Our current route on Mapsource is I90 to I271 and then I71. It appears we will be on I 271 and I71 for the bulk of the trip and I was wondering what the traffic is like on those roads? My wife likes to avoid a lot of trucks if possible.

Thank-you for comments

·
Registered
373 Posts
My wife and I are on our way to Nashville on September 10th leaving from Mississauga, Ontario and travelling across the border at Erie. Our current route on Mapsource is I90 to I271 and then I71. It appears we will be on I 271 and I71 for the bulk of the trip and I was wondering what the traffic is like on those roads? My wife likes to avoid a lot of trucks if possible.

Thank-you for comments
I-90, I-271, I-71, and I-65 are all heavily traveled by 18 wheelers, of which I am often one of those. If you can afford the time, my wife and I always enjoy running the US and State routes far better than the super slabs. Small town America w/ Mom 'n Pop restaurants, the way things used to be and still are in many places. I would strongly urge you to consider the secondary routes unless there are desired POI's along those Interstates you mention. That's just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You're coming into my neck of the woods. I-90 and 71 don't have any more truck traffic than any other interstate going into or out of urban areas. I-271 will have an express lane till just before you get to I-480W. Don't try to drive through that in afternoon rush hour. Anything after 3:30, and you could spend over an hour to drive 8 miles. I've also found it easier and faster to go right through Columbus on I-71 rather than drive around it on I-270.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I-90, I-271, I-71, and I-65 are all heavily traveled by 18 wheelers, of which I am often one of those. If you can afford the time, my wife and I always enjoy running the US and State routes far better than the super slabs. Small town America w/ Mom 'n Pop restaurants, the way things used to be and still are in many places. I would strongly urge you to consider the secondary routes unless there are desired POI's along those Interstates you mention. That's just my .02 cents worth.
I would also recommend taking the back roads if you have a little extra time. They are way more interesting and relaxing. Back when my parents were alive, I used to ride from Boston to central IL and back every year. Taking the interstate(s) would only save me 3 to 6 hours over back roads and be far more stressful and tiring. I90 thru Cleveland by whatever means was always a mess.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would usually agree with TENGOAL about staying on I-71 through Columbus BUT: it's getting to be a real mess downtown where I-71 & I-70 meet/cross/split/dance/wreck. There are also some soon-to-be announced closures of different ramps and exits on I-71 as they are trying to fix the "Malfunction Junction". These shouldn't affect you on a drive-through but expect some confusion and brake-checks, etc...
After all that I would recommend going around Columbus on I-270 especially during the morning (0630-0900) rush and evening (1530-1830ish) rushes. I-270 W and S is the better choice. Don't try SR-315 S either--it's a construction mess right now too.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank-you for your suggestions. I have now set Mapsource to use US20, I271 (short Distance), US62 and then I65 into Nashville. This has added about 2 hours onto the trip but I'll see how it goes once we start to travel. If it gets too bad on the back roads, I will have to Jump on the Interstate. We have tickets for the Grand olde Opray, so I don't want to make a mistake and miscalculate the trip.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Rt 62 is a nice route. In Wilmot OH check out the Amish Door restaurant.

If it's a Saturday, watch out for tourists in Berlin.

Enjoy the ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts