GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a trailer for my trike from a guy that lives in Ohio and he is having trouble finding the title for it.

He has the registration but doesn't know what I am talking about when I refer to the title (or pink slip as we refer to it in CA)

Does Ohio title trailers ? Or do they just issue registrations for them ?

This deal is on the up and up - the guy is young and is confused about what I am asking for.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Its not needed in Ohio, homemade trailers need a weight slip so the BMV knows how much to charge for the plate/tag. If its a factory made trailer the manufacturer may have provided one.

When I bought my Bushtec, I took the title to the courthouse and was told Ohio only registered commercial trailers. I took the title to the BMV and they used the listed weight instead of having to get a weight slip then getting weighed.
http://bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling.stm#tog

Commercial trailers weighing 4000 pounds or more are required to be titled. Certificates of Title is not issued on any commercial or utility trailer weighing less than 4000 pounds. The sale, purchase or mortgage of a trailer is the same as a motor vehicle except for the odometer statement, which is not required. To obtain license plates contact any Deputy Registrar's office.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to AAA to register the trailer and the lady ask for the title and I told her Ohio doesn't issue them for trailers under 4000#. Even though I have a bill of sale and the Certificate of Origin she said CA needs a title to prove he owned the trailer.

I don't think she knows what she is talking about because I asked her what I would do if there is no title and she said it can't be registered in CA.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There should be a tag of sorts under the axle of the trailer with a lot of info on it, Serial # Model # inc. do your own research if you want it. That way you know it's not stolen. Some people are dumb as a fox.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
The lady at your KA DMV office knows very well what she is talking about. Most states if not all states have similar requirements. The trailer could be stolen, could have a lien recorded against it. or could have an altered VIN.

I think all manufacturers are required to issue a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) with a vehicle that will be used and registered for use on the highways.

Perhaps the original owner received a MSO in an envelope stuffed with papers and never looked or never understood what it was. Perhaps he discarded it?

You probably won't ever be able to register it without a title or MSO. Try asking him to search his files. Or contact the trailer manufacturer and find out if they did, in fact, issue a MSO.

You will have to have some proof of ownership and clear title to register it in every state I think. Surely OH is not so backward they don't require proof of ownership.

·
Registered
686 Posts
i bought my Unigo from a forum member in Delaware and brought it back to Ohio. He gave me a signed off Delaware title, but this was not needed when I went to the Ohio DMV. Was told to take the trailer to a grain elevator and have it weighed and bring back a weight ticket. Did so and was issued a full-sized commercial trailer plate. No sales tax on the transaction and no title. Even though it weighed about 60lbs. it was licensed as a <4000 trailer.

Good luck getting CA to title and license it. Maybe the Ohio registration will work, as DRN151 suggested.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Certificate of Origin - that matches the trailer info on the VIN tag, the registration and the Ohio plate on the trailer. EVERYTHING lines up except her !

By the way I went to AAA - I did not go to CA DMV. That is like signing up for a severe beating here in CA.:eek:4:

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Yeah only the registration.
When I got my Cyclcmate the ownership papers stated a weight of 195 pounds or something similar. I showed it to the DMV person and she said I had to get a weigh slip from an authorized weigh place. I rode it to one and parked so the trailer was on their scales. The owner came out and asked what I was doing? I told him and he laughed. His scale wouldn't accurately measure that. I told him what the Mfg papers said and he wrote that down and said that will be 2 dollars.
What a racket.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Here in mass anything under 4000lbs no title if I have to see it an dother person needs title they have a form that they fill out thats called no title sale see if you can download one from there website and have it filled out

·
Registered
472 Posts
If the guy you bought it from purchased it new, all he has to do is contact the mfr with the serial number, and he can probably get a new title for it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I went to AAA to register the trailer and the lady ask for the title and I told her Ohio doesn't issue them for trailers under 4000#. Even though I have a bill of sale and the Certificate of Origin she said CA needs a title to prove he owned the trailer.

I don't think she knows what she is talking about because I asked her what I would do if there is no title and she said it can't be registered in CA.
The CO is what allows you to get the first title. When the title is issued they keep the CO. Therefore, the fact you have the CO proves the trailer has never been titled before.

Looks like you need to skip AAA bite the bullet and go to DMV. Someone there will be able to verify the Ohio situation and issue the title.

Good luck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Here in Indiana I just did a boat trailer from ohio, I needed a certified bill of sale and the cops had to come out to see that it had a vin number. If it did not have a vin on it I suppose I could of titled it as a home made one. The officer didn't read the vin he just looked to see if there was one there.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I have the Certificate of Origin - that matches the trailer info on the VIN tag, the registration and the Ohio plate on the trailer. EVERYTHING lines up except her !

By the way I went to AAA - I did not go to CA DMV. That is like signing up for a severe beating here in CA.:eek:4:
You're good to go if you have the MSO. Take it to another AAA office with someone who is informed or to the KA DMV office.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Here in Pa. we also have titles. I bought a used Hannigan from a fellow in KY. which also doesn't have titles. He went to the court house in Ky and asked for a title to be made. They made him a title for it but it took 6 weeks to get it to him and then he sent it to me. They told him they could make a title for anything even though it's not required. Don't know if Ohio will do that but if so that would be the easiest way. When I lived in Ohio many years ago they made titles on the spot at the court house maybe still do.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Correct. When I bought the Aluma, Ohio BMV said no titles, they just issued the plate from the Manufacture's Certificate.:shock:

Likewise, when I bought an enclosed trailer that was from WVa, all BMV wanted was a weight slip from a grain elevator. :shrug:

Bottom line, I guess it's easy going INTO Ohio, maybe not so easy selling OUT from Ohio.

Ken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts