GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a planned route already figured out that would take the bike and rider through all 88 Ohio Counties? I am planning to do this over a couple of days this summer.I started it in MapSource, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone already had done it before. Thanks so much!

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Does anyone have a planned route already figured out that would take the bike and rider through all 88 Ohio Counties? I am planning to do this over a couple of days this summer.I started it in MapSource, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone already had done it before. Thanks so much!
Sorry I have not done it. But I have thought about it. Good luck and keep us posted.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Sorry I have not done it. But I have thought about it. Good luck and keep us posted.:thumbup:

I think Road Runner and maybe Wahoo have a route for that, not sure. Once Wahoo follows the snowplow home and Road Runner returns from riding all day in the sunshine they'll prolly chime in.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Ohio

Sounds like an interesting ride. I would like to see the route, and the time involved. Please post if you find it. Good luck, Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I started a project of taking photos of my bike(s) in front of all 88 Ohio courthouses a few years ago but not in a single trip or route. Sorry.

A few guys on another board were talking about planning an Iron Butt 1000 mile ride all within Ohio but I did not get the route from them.

Sounds like an interesting idea.... :yes1:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
sounds fun!!

·
6,944 Posts
Try 254 counties. Ohio should be a snap
A few years ago I was on a trip in Texas with my brother,that lives in NC. Maybe 2009 or 2010. I was not a member of the board at the time, but I did read it. We were heading back and I had talked to my buddy Bash (on the phone) who at that time was on here often. He was telling me of a guy that had posted he was riding every county in Texas. The next day we pulled into a DQ. Somewhere between Midland and Waco. A white wing coming from the other direction pulled in just behind us. I should have guessed ( with Texas being so small :lol:) It was the guy that Bash was talking about. :nojoke: What are the odds of this happening? I can't remember his screen name. Maybe he is still on here and will reply.

·
6,944 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Years ago I had a route sheet for riding all the Ohio counties... that was about 4 computers ago and 3 crashes. Lost that data and maps in the early 80's. Computers back then from Radio Shack were not that reliable.

Later on - in 1985 - I decided to do the four corners of Ohio and the geographical center. The south east Ohio point was difficult because there was no known exact point - I surmised it was somewhere around Newport, OH along the Ohio River. I found if there were any and the other points just riding and having fun photographing the signs and monuments when there were any! SW Ohio monument is still on US 50 at the Ohio-Indiana line. That was only a few miles from my house.

Something else I did, years ago was an Alphabet tour of Ohio. First on my list was Addyston, OH and ended up with Zoar. I have an album at home with all the photos including Centerburg which was supposed to be the geographic center of Ohio. I understand that Centerburg location with the sign is now challenged but the photo I took back then had an ice cream store adjacent to it! It was a fun summer to ramble around Ohio - in fact the official name was Ramble Ohio!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been working on a route in BaseCamp to at least go through part of every county in Ohio. I have a route for 66 of 88 counties done so far. Will try to complete it this week.

·
Registered
593 Posts
gem, hey neighbor, cant wait to see your routing as that sounds like a cool ride..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohio 88 County Route From Hamilton Co to Noble Co

I have included a small picture of the route in the signature block below. Just my first pass at the trip. Each waypoint is a spot in the next county. Basecamp says the route is 1635 miles and would take 33 hours and 13 minutes. The route includes all types of roads. If you want more info or the route email me at [email protected].

·
Registered
994 Posts
Gem,

This first pass is just touching all 88 counties, not going to the County seat? If you go to every seat, maybe for a pic, I'll bet it would add considerable mileage and time...

I have neither the technology nor the skill to work this issue; I'd have a paper state map and just start riding....

I'm interested and will continue to follow this thread.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Firedog53,

Yes this route only touches every county in Ohio. I am working on extending the route to cover all the county seats. Should have something next week.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Years ago I had a route sheet for riding all the Ohio counties... that was about 4 computers ago and 3 crashes. Lost that data and maps in the early 80's. Computers back then from Radio Shack were not that reliable.

Later on - in 1985 - I decided to do the four corners of Ohio and the geographical center. The south east Ohio point was difficult because there was no known exact point - I surmised it was somewhere around Newport, OH along the Ohio River. I found if there were any and the other points just riding and having fun photographing the signs and monuments when there were any! SW Ohio monument is still on US 50 at the Ohio-Indiana line. That was only a few miles from my house.

Something else I did, years ago was an Alphabet tour of Ohio. First on my list was Addyston, OH and ended up with Zoar. I have an album at home with all the photos including Centerburg which was supposed to be the geographic center of Ohio. I understand that Centerburg location with the sign is now challenged but the photo I took back then had an ice cream store adjacent to it! It was a fun summer to ramble around Ohio - in fact the official name was Ramble Ohio!
What? You didn't save it on five-dozen floppies?
thecruiser

·
Registered
994 Posts
What? You didn't save it on five-dozen floppies?
thecruiser
I came across a couple floppies the other day while cleaning out some stuff. No idea what was on them---no labels or anything. Couldn't find anything or anyone that could handle them. Into the trash they went! Probably threw away the secret to making a million bucks or something...

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I came across a couple floppies the other day while cleaning out some stuff. No idea what was on them---no labels or anything. Couldn't find anything or anyone that could handle them. Into the trash they went! Probably threw away the secret to making a million bucks or something...
QUICK, pull them outta the trash. I got a computer that still has a floppy player. If the 'secret' is on there, I'll split the million bucks with ya. ;)
thecruiser

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I've done every county in Illinois (102) and every county in Tennessee (95). Not all in one trip but over several trips. Though, I did get my last 11 TN counties on a planned county trip.

Now I'm looking at Kentucky only because I've taken a lot of trips through the state.

It is quite an accomplishment.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts