GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in another post- I've always used amsoil (25 years) and changed around 3k on my bikes and 7k on cars and trucks. Was going to get a change while in Sturgis and started talking with rep (whose job is to sell oil) and she convinced me I'd be wasting time and money and wait till 10k -so I decided to come home, over 5k round trip, and once and for all get an analysis. Results are in and on scale of 0-1 % registered a 0 with following recommendation.

Data indicates no abnormal findings. Resample at normal interval. Oil is suitable for continued use.

turns out the $28 spent on analysis will save me money and time going forward. I've been a fairly compulsive oil changer and it just made me feel better I've always sided with logic. May retest at 7500k out of curiosity but for now I'm sold.

If anyone can pickup something I should be concerned with on this attached report please let me know, need to dig into the numbers after work tonight..
Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 7.19.36 AM.png

·
Vendor
17,219 Posts
The Wing that just left, and was in for a transmission repair, had oil changes every 10k and air filters not very often.
It was by far the dirties engine I'd ever had to clean.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thanks for the pics, wonder if he was original oil and ams entire life of bike? Are you making a point about Amsoil or a more regular interval ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Who waits to 10k miles to change the oil? I will occasionally push it to 8k, but at least the owner's manual supports it. I usually change it around 7k and at times at 4k. I would never exceed the manufacturer's recommendations. That's looking for trouble and the pictures show it.

·
Vendor
17,219 Posts
What evidence do you have Greg that using Amsoil was the direct causation of the deposits shown in your pics?
Nothing that would satisfy a skeptic. For all I know, the continuation was installed at the engine plant in OH, or maybe a vandal installed it while the owner was eating at a Waffle House.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
No dog in this fight but customers don't always tell the mechanic the truth.

I seriously doubt Amsoil is the cause of that dirty engine. It's a good oil. Probably a bit over priced and more than is needed, but it's not junk that would leave deposits like that as a part of a reasonable maintenance schedule.

My guess is that oil was in there for a lot longer than 10k miles. Probably just topped it off when it got low.

Also explains the clogged filter and low pressure, which of course would drive excessive heat and wear and increase deposits.

In other words...a badly maintained bike happened to have Amsoil in it and as expected, Amsoil wasn't a magic solution that was able to last forever.

·
Vendor
17,219 Posts
No dog in this fight but customers don't always tell the mechanic the truth.

I seriously doubt Amsoil is the cause of that dirty engine.

My guess is that oil was in there for a lot longer than 10k miles. Probably just topped it off when it got low.
I'm sure his lack of maintenance had everything to do with the contamination in his engine, and nothing to do with his oil choice.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
I'm sure his lack of maintenance had everything to do with the contamination in his engine, and nothing to do with his oil choice.
Agreed.

Only tie to the oil choice is the fact that some people think if they use good oil, the can get away with not changing it. As such, the owner using Amsoil probably thought he could get away without maintenance.

This, of course, is simply not true. No oil is good enough to not need regular oil changes.

Personally, I believe a good oil changed more often, say at 5K OCI, is better than a great oil changed less often, say at 10K OCI.

·
Vendor
17,219 Posts
Agreed.

Only tie to the oil choice is the fact that some people think if they use good oil, the can get away with not changing it. As such, the owner using Amsoil probably thought he could get away without maintenance.
Apparently a guy selling AMSOIL at a WIngDing said he could go 10,000 miles between oil changes and also talked him into Amsoil's micron filter that is not catalog for 5th gens.

For more about that story, go here

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Love The DCT
11,726 Posts
Nothing that would satisfy a skeptic. For all I know, the continuation was installed at the engine plant in OH, or maybe a vandal installed it while the owner was eating at a Waffle House.
Skeptic, yes because you haven't offered any concrete evidence to support "He too used Amsoil" as being a direct cause or contributing cause to those deposits.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Well it totally looks like I may have to finelly "admit" that being an oil /filter changeohlic may not actually be the correct way to replace my oil....So after after reading your oil analysis, I have to say that I am changing it way too often.............and will try to go at least 5,000 miles in between changes.....Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry::ROFLMAO::mad:

Ronnie

·
Vendor
17,219 Posts
Skeptic, yes because you haven't offered any concrete evidence to support "He too used Amsoil" as being a direct cause or contributing cause to those deposits.
Unless you think 10,000 miles between oil changes is ok, I think you took my post wrong. Post #10 might help too. But I'll let you figure it out.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Baby steps Ronnie baby steps.
(y)(y)
Well it totally looks like I may have to finelly "admit" that being an oil /filter changeohlic may not actually be the correct way to replace my oil....So after after reading your oil analysis, I have to say that I am changing it way too often.............and will try to go at least 5,000 miles in between changes.....Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry::ROFLMAO::mad:

Ronnie

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
As mentioned in another post- I've always used amsoil (25 years) and changed around 3k on my bikes and 7k on cars and trucks. Was going to get a change while in Sturgis and started talking with rep (whose job is to sell oil) and she convinced me I'd be wasting time and money and wait till 10k -so I decided to come home, over 5k round trip, and once and for all get an analysis. Results are in and on scale of 0-1 % registered a 0 with following recommendation.

Data indicates no abnormal findings. Resample at normal interval. Oil is suitable for continued use.

turns out the $28 spent on analysis will save me money and time going forward. I've been a fairly compulsive oil changer and it just made me feel better I've always sided with logic. May retest at 7500k out of curiosity but for now I'm sold.

If anyone can pickup something I should be concerned with on this attached report please let me know, need to dig into the numbers after work tonight.. View attachment 373688
I would like to see what a "before" and "after" oil analysis shows. That is, send in a sample of new oil poured from the bottle for analysis and then compare the oil after it has been in the motorcycle for 5K-7K miles. The change in analysis could be revealing.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Anything that says AMSOIL in the sentence Greg goes off on a tangent. He has blamed oil and filters without any proof of quality testing other than his own. Many guys use synthetic oils and have zero trouble. There could be a number of reasons why Greg’s pictures look like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,233 Posts

Welcome to the 2000s!!! :D The manual says 8,000 miles. I'd stick with that. You'll be fine. (y)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I reverse engineered the Maintenance Minder in my 2017 Honda CRV so I could discover what Honda thinks about oil changes since they no longer are mileage based. Other than the countdown timer so oil change at least once a year, the main factors that allow longer oil change intervals are not the brand or the composition but the usage with city driving, short trips, hot trips, heavy load being the worst factors while highway miles being the best factors. Basically when I drive my CRV in city traffic the oil change interval is reduced and when I drive it on highway only my oil change interval goes higher (15k km). Someone who is riding 90% highway may be able to change at 15k km while someone city riding may need to change at half that. The other major factor is time so if that 10k oil change interval was over 3 years no wonder sludge.as the additives are depleted

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who waits to 10k miles to change the oil? I will occasionally push it to 8k, but at least the owner's manual supports it. I usually change it around 7k and at times at 4k. I would never exceed the manufacturer's recommendations. That's looking for trouble and the pictures show it.
When we talk about the owners manual that’s based on Dino oil originally specified for the bike. When switching to synthetic the manufacturer states 10,000 miles is acceptable for this Brandon viscosity. I know the debate is endless I’m simply posting my results very surprised that at 5000 miles there was no degradation and will go To 7500 -10,000 test again just to prove a point one way or another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 113 Posts