GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Anything that says AMSOIL in the sentence Greg goes off on a tangent. He has blamed oil and filters without any proof of quality testing other than his own. Many guys use synthetic oils and have zero trouble. There could be a number of reasons why Greg’s pictures look like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just for you, I removed the AMSOIL part ... hopefully you'll be able to forget it was even there. If you re-read post #2, you'll be able to see what post #2 is really about ... 10,000 mile oil changes, and infrequent air filter changes. The AMSOIL part was there because like the OP, my customer thought because he had AMSOIL, he'd not need to change it as often. The dirt in that engine has nothing to do with what oil he was using !!!

As for the pictures looking like that ... you are absolutely correct and just like I said to murf "For all I know, the continuation was installed at the engine plant in OH, or maybe a vandal installed it while the owner was eating at a Waffle House."

Also, if you don't like reading what I write, please, please, please, you can put me on ignore. I've had to do that to other members in the past, and am fine if you need to do it to me.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Well it totally looks like I may have to finelly "admit" that being an oil /filter changeohlic may not actually be the correct way to replace my oil....So after after reading your oil analysis, I have to say that I am changing it way too often.............and will try to go at least 5,000 miles in between changes.....Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry::ROFLMAO::mad:

Ronnie
Ronnie I'm proud of your decision to extend your oil change interval to somewhere around 5000 smiles and just think of the beer you can buy with that extra money. 🍺🍺 The first time that you adhere to the new schedule you'll probably be up all night pacing the floor in your bedroom. :unsure:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just for you, I removed the AMSOIL part ... hopefully you'll be able to forget it was even there. If you re-read post #2, you'll be able to see what post #2 is really about ... 10,000 mile oil changes, and infrequent air filter changes. The AMSOIL part was there because like the OP, my customer thought because he had AMSOIL, he'd not need to change it as often. The dirt in that engine has nothing to do with what oil he was using !!!

As for the pictures looking like that ... you are absolutely correct and just like I said to murf "For all I know, the continuation was installed at the engine plant in OH, or maybe a vandal installed it while the owner was eating at a Waffle House."

Also, if you don't like reading what I write, please, please, please, you can put me on ignore. I've had to do that to other members in the past, and am fine if you need to do it to me.
So Greg are you saying you are against 10k oil changes even with modern synthetics ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Strange. An oil thread is causing drama.

I put a Mobil 1 oil filter on my 2013 Subaru at 70k and filled it up with 0W20 synthetic. I changed the oil at 80k, then again at 90k with the oil filter. I sent in my 10,000 mile oil that had been circulating through a filter for 20k miles. Guess what. Analysis found not only everything in spec, but actually performing above average compared to the profile of my engine in their database.

Not that anyone cares, but I change my Wing oil/filter once per year, whether it has 6000 miles on it or 10,000 miles on it, right before storage. I only have 4000 on it this year, so I am debating leaving it there for another year. It won't hurt it. One ginormous factor that often gets overlooked in these discussions is that very few people would ever put enough miles on a bike to extract any benefit (if there is one) from excessive oil changes.

Honda says 8000 mile oil changes are fine with Dino oil - they offer extended warranty coverage with unlimited mileage that is close to a decade - many members could easily exceed 100k miles during that time - and their recommended oil change interval does not change.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well it totally looks like I may have to finelly "admit" that being an oil /filter changeohlic may not actually be the correct way to replace my oil....So after after reading your oil analysis, I have to say that I am changing it way too often.............and will try to go at least 5,000 miles in between changes.....Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry::ROFLMAO::mad:

Ronnie
Been trying to subtly tell you that for quite a while...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Anything that says AMSOIL in the sentence Greg goes off on a tangent. He has blamed oil and filters without any proof of quality testing other than his own. Many guys use synthetic oils and have zero trouble. There could be a number of reasons why Greg’s pictures look like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep, too many unknown variables to make any conclusions or place blame.
while some oils may have great anti-wear properties and allow an engine to post very good reports some don't have very good detergent package additives and/or the ability to keep dirt and/or sludges in suspension to be filtered or drained. Makes for dirty deposits. Motorcycles such as Wings and most others are quite different than typical automotive/industrial engines in that more wear materials probably come from the transmission and clutch than the engine wear (extremely minimal). More engine "dirt" probably comes thru the intake tract than from wear (guesswork on my part).
I'm not an Amsoil guy, but I am a long(er) change interval guy. Excellant analysis reports and physical inspections have led me to my choices based on non-motorcycle engine inspection tear downs. If I ever have to get inside the Wing's case will prove/disprove my choice, but not loosing any sleep over it for sure. (DelVac 1 ESP 5w-40)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Time to sell my oil stock. I made a lot of money with you changing your oil so often. Hope this isn't insider information!

Ronnie

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Time to sell my oil stock. I made a lot of money with you changing your oil so often. Hope this isn't insider information!
Oil companies still make gasoline and once America gets going again you’ll be fine imo. Oh and don’t forget most people buy the 3k myth... except us and new car computers.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Ronnie I'm proud of your decision to extend your oil change interval to somewhere around 5000 smiles and just think of the beer you can buy with that extra money. 🍺🍺 The first time that you adhere to the new schedule you'll probably be up all night pacing the floor in your bedroom. :unsure:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa the "best" comeback! :love: I'm beginning to pace the floor now, cause I have approx 1,200 miles on her now, and i have a five hour ride (Finger lake NY) trip.. planned for next week.. BUT since you mentioned extra money for beer, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm beginning to like the way you think!

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You guy's rock!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Been trying to subtly tell you that for quite a while...
I will now have a case of 10-30 Syn. , a bunch of oil filters, and three packs of "crush washers" all sitting on the shelve in my garage now, that I have been re'formed,
BUT a refrigerator full of beer! W/the money I just save'd................

Thank's for the smiles guys!

BUT I now have the "shake's" very bad!

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
So Greg are you saying you are against 10k oil changes even with modern synthetics ?

I'd go by what the Maintenance Schedule says ... do every 8,000 or sooner. It been my experience that the schedule is right on for 5th gen recommendations. For my riding, I'm in the sooner category and can tell when my tranny gets bangy around 6,500 miles no matter if I use a Honda's GN4 or HP4S.

In the OP case, him putting his oil changes off till 10,000 miles, coupled with his oil filter choices and infrequent air filter changes, was obviously not working for him.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When we talk about the owners manual that’s based on Dino oil originally specified for the bike. When switching to synthetic the manufacturer states 10,000 miles is acceptable for this Brandon viscosity. I know the debate is endless I’m simply posting my results very surprised that at 5000 miles there was no degradation and will go To 7500 -10,000 test again just to prove a point one way or another

Regardless of what is claimed by the oil manufacturer, I would never consider not changing my oil by the 8k mark. The oil manufacturer will not take responsibility for any damage to the engine, so in the end I am responsible for it. If the oil manufacturers stepped up to plate and offered an unlimited warranty on the engine, which they won't and I don't blame them, but if they did, I would then consider. Until then, I will always stay UNDER the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. Just saying...

·
Registered
583 Posts
20,000 mile extended oil performance.

Engineering Explained:

Here's a link showing Mobil 1 20,000 mile extended oil and the engineering and research done to test it. Granted, it's for cars/trucks, not motorcycles, but it shows how far engine lubrication technology has advanced since the '60s and '70s when 2,000 mile oil changes were the norm.

Jason Fenske, the presenter/owner of Engineering Explained, is an engineer.

It's an interesting and informative video.

Tim

·
Registered
955 Posts
20,000 mile extended oil performance.

Engineering Explained:

Here's a link showing Mobil 1 20,000 mile extended oil and the engineering and research done to test it. Granted, it's for cars/trucks, not motorcycles, but it shows how far engine lubrication technology has advanced since the '60s and '70s when 2,000 mile oil changes were the norm.

Jason Fenske, the presenter/owner of Engineering Explained, is an engineer.

It's an interesting and informative video.

Tim
I remember when I was a wee lad, seeing a local gas station advertising Kendal oil, "good for a thousand miles". Times do change!! Some of us are just a little slow in catching up. 😢

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Regardless of what is claimed by the oil manufacturer, I would never consider not changing my oil by the 8k mark. The oil manufacturer will not take responsibility for any damage to the engine, so in the end I am responsible for it. If the oil manufacturers stepped up to plate and offered an unlimited warranty on the engine, which they won't and I don't blame them, but if they did, I would then consider. Until then, I will always stay UNDER the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. Just saying...
Honda is the engine designer and manufacture which writes the maintainence interval specs in the manual and not an oil manufacturer. Given the design and research that went into it they have to cover the bases with all oils that meet their spec.
8k mile (or annual) interval is relatively common these days and meets Honda warranty requirements.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
I'd go by what the Maintenance Schedule says ... do every 8,000 or sooner. It been my experience that the schedule is right on for 5th gen recommendations. For my riding, I'm in the sooner category and can tell when my tranny gets bangy around 6,500 miles no matter if I use a Honda's GN4 or HP4S.

In post #2, oil changes every 10,000 miles, coupled with his oil filter choices, and infrequent air filter changes, was obviously not working for him.

·
Registered
870 Posts
When I first got my 2003 GL1800 it had 25K miles (aprox) on it -
That was 5 years ago and I am now at about 65K - Not a lot by some standards but enough
2 times I sent my oil in for analysis at Blackstone labs -
Once at about 5000 miles and then again at nearly 6500 miles -
Both times the analysis came back good and keep going -
Rotella T6 Synthetic is what I use with a Honda OEM filter -

I change oil every 5000 miles -- Why 5000 ?
Because it is an easy reminder when it is due --- I can do the math from my odometer and know when it is nearing time to change
I like Rotella and the Honda OEM because it works adn it is EASY (I like Easy) --

I buy the Rotella T6 at Wal*mart - and the OEM filter at my local dealer -
I save money on oil and then spend a few dollars too much keeping the dealer parts department going.
AND they throw in the crush washer for the oil drain bolt with the filters ;)

EASY -- I Like easy

Every 5K works fine for my bikes - and this is my 6th Goldwing too with never any troubles from oil

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well here's one for you!

I met a guy that owned a taxi cab company and here's what he told me;
They were running Fords and the parts were so cheap they decided to quit changing motor oil, just add oil as needed.
He said they would easily get over 100K out of the engines and then just pop a new one in the cab and put it back in service. (By law, where he was, the vehicles had to be taken out of service before they reached 400K so they might put 350K on the cab with only one engine change, but some did need two engines.)

21 - 40 of 113 Posts