GL1800Riders Forums banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wonder if this oil thread changed as many minds as the last one.

Reactions: Flatsixbasic

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Au contraire. I think it changed exactly as many minds as the last one, and the one before that,...

Reactions: Flatsixbasic

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I wonder if this oil thread changed as many minds as the last one.
Au contraire. I think it changed exactly as many minds as the last one, and the one before that,...
Well, the OP changed his mind. And check out post #12. There are some of us open-minded people out here. ;) (y)

·
Registered
449 Posts
...Some people change oil before or after winter storage. I prefer after, because of possible condensation build-up, in the crankcase during storage. Has nothing to do with the mileage and more to do with moisture contaminated oil, but if my mileage was less than 3,000 miles, I would wait until spring....
I change my oil every Autumn during my storage procedure. I thought condensation buildup in the crankcase over winter does not affect the new oil and would evaporate during the first 20 minute ride in the Spring?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I simply started this to report on the scientific evaluation of my oil and whether or not I have been changing it to soon all these years. Turns out I’ve been wasting time and money. Having said that there is no replacing something that makes one feel better even if it’s illogical. Check out bobistheoilguy.com for all things oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
I change my oil every Autumn during my storage procedure. I thought condensation buildup in the crankcase over winter does not affect the new oil and would evaporate during the first 20 minute ride in the Spring?
The moisture caprures acidic and other contaminates. The evaporation is when the oil heats and the moisture's content will mix with the oil and its properties will be contaminated. Not a big deal if you change it in spring, but to constantly remix the witches brew, your oil you so scientifically chose, will no be the same chemical mix you thought you have.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Guys it is really simple - you will spend hundreds of dollars on all sorts of frivolous crap, but suddenly get real "Thrifty" when it comes to maintenance.
There will always be the minimum requirements for oil change interval. There will always be extenuating circumstances to lessen that required interval. Talk about feel good? Okay, if you go ahead and stretch the interval longer and quote all sorts of internet guru's advice, then feel good that you aren't cheap - just "informed". Those individual anecdotal instances where the interval was stretched, are not statistical facts. For those of you who scream that we mechanics advise use of the recommended lubricants and intervals, are " Blue Meanies": You may be living in a "Fool's Paradice", but sometimes, the Good Lord looks after fools.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
They even send you a free oil test kit to send in the sample. I've had my oil in both my 2004 GW tested and the 2018 tested. Even sent in a virgin sample of the oil I use for a baseline analysis. It's worth the cost to me just to follow my engines progress. You get lots of numbers detailing how your oil is holding up, metal if any present in the oil and lots of other details too many to list. You also get a good written narrative explaining in detail what the tech saw in your oil analysis.

Please save the "save the money and spend it on riding" statements. It's my money, my fun.

·
Registered
597 Posts
They even send you a free oil test kit to send in the sample. I've had my oil in both my 2004 GW tested and the 2018 tested. Even sent in a virgin sample of the oil I use for a baseline analysis. It's worth the cost to me just to follow my engines progress. You get lots of numbers detailing how your oil is holding up, metal if any present in the oil and lots of other details too many to list. You also get a good written narrative explaining in detail what the tech saw in your oil analysis.

Please save the "save the money and spend it on riding" statements. It's my money, my fun.

We used to do oil sampling on military vehicles. It does work, if proper diligence is followed. In a regimented environment, or a private setting, it can be a useful tool to keep an eye on oil integrity. The trick is never to assume results before getting them. A lot of factors play into oil contamination, break down, or durability.
On the civilian side, it was not effective, due to real world daily usage realities, with fleet management vs. Customer demand realities. That is why many private fleets abandoned it in favor of the old, regular scheduling of changes. Synthetics are the same story - you can go longer - but only if you play by the rules, and don't mix it on-the-road, with other values of oil. Unfortunately, the hype over synthetic vs. "Dino", lead many to think their oil is bulletproof. At the end of the day - all of these alternatives lead only to one reality: Oil's purpose is to reduce friction, thus reducing wear.
However, I think it is great that you use it - not many have the perserverance to properly sample, await results, then schedule maintenance tasks.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts