GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am surprised. I just changed from Mobil 1 15w50 to Rotella T6 5w30. Much to my surprise the bike shifted much better with the Rotella than it did with the Mobil 1, which had 4000 miles on the oil. It will be interesting to see how the bike shifts when I get 4000 miles on the T6. I actually expected the T6 to be worse than the 15w50, but at least to this point it is better. I know lots of people have had very good results with both of these oils so I'm not sure that my observation adds much to the discussion.

In this case I feel that YMMV is not an adequate disclaimer. I think it needs to be YMWV. That is Your Mileage Will Vary. I"m convinced that no single oil will work the best in all GoldWings for all riders.

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
Well, I am surprised. I just changed from Mobil 1 15w50 to Rotella T6 5w30. Much to my surprise the bike shifted much better with the Rotella than it did with the Mobil 1, which had 4000 miles on the oil. It will be interesting to see how the bike shifts when I get 4000 miles on the T6. I actually expected the T6 to be worse than the 15w50, but at least to this point it is better. I know lots of people have had very good results with both of these oils so I'm not sure that my observation adds much to the discussion.

In this case I feel that YMMV is not an adequate disclaimer. I think it needs to be YMWV. That is Your Mileage Will Vary. I"m convinced that no single oil will work the best in all GoldWings for all riders.
Isn't rotella T6 actually 5-40 ? Anyway whatever it is I have used a lot of Rotella T6 and my wing has always shifted great :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

So you changed to a lighter weight oil and you're surprised that it shifts better :shrug:? Also, why were you running 15w50 in your wing? Last time I checked, the book called for 10w30 or 10w40.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rotella T6

Isn't rotella T6 actually 5-40 ? Anyway whatever it is I have used a lot of Rotella T6 and my wing has always shifted great :thumbup:
Yes, you are right. It is 5W40. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mobil 1 15w50

So you changed to a lighter weight oil and you're surprised that it shifts better :shrug:? Also, why were you running 15w50 in your wing? Last time I checked, the book called for 10w30 or 10w40.
Several board members, including Fred H., use the 15w50 with great success.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've been solicited by Bob The Amsoil Guy. It's time to put my money where his mouth is. I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the " OUCH " $60 for a gallon and filter and put this horse to rest.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Mobil 15-50

I go easy until the bike warms up but I may run it hard or harder when it has warmed up. Thus I like the 50W part of the equation. I'm an 04 bike and I also remember the book saying 15-50 was acceptable. The 50W gives me better protection once she warms up.

But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Rotella, a lot of people like it, I'm not one of them, "To each their own", The last two gallons I had I used to start a brush pile on fire this winter, mixed with a little kerosene it worked well, I currently am using 10/40 Valvoline motorcycle rated oil, which seems to do the job, but will be using Mobil 1 15/50 at the next change, jmop

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Depends on what year your Wing is.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have been using Rotella t6 5w-40 from my first oil change my tranny loves the stuff. But once I start getting some miles on it the shifting gets a little tight. Just seen the T5 10w 30 in Wally world may try it on my next service. Our trannys like clean oil that's for sure.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
SOMEBODY POSTED HERE COUPLE WEEKS AGO/MAYBE 3/4 THAT THEY ​CHANGED FORMULA ON T6 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOESNT MEET MC SPEC NOW !!!!!!!!!!! CHECK THAT OUT !!! I USED TO USE ! JUST PUT IN 2500 MILES AGO SHELLS (NEED SOME HELP HERE )ROTELL 15W40 DELVAC ?? FOR DEISEL ETC. SEEMS TO WORK GREAT N WAS $13 A JUG.:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rotella T6 for wet clutches

SOMEBODY POSTED HERE COUPLE WEEKS AGO/MAYBE 3/4 THAT THEY ​CHANGED FORMULA ON T6 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOESNT MEET MC SPEC NOW !!!!!!!!!!! CHECK THAT OUT !!! I USED TO USE ! JUST PUT IN 2500 MILES AGO SHELLS (NEED SOME HELP HERE )ROTELL 15W40 DELVAC ?? FOR DEISEL ETC. SEEMS TO WORK GREAT N WAS $13 A JUG.:popcorn:
It looks like T6 is still good to go. Check this out:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?441889-Dreaded-Oil-Thread-NEWS&p=5450377

I think the relevant information is in Post 18.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
:bow::bow:THATS GOOD. LIKED THE OIL.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I have been using Rotella t6 5w-40 from my first oil change my tranny loves the stuff. But once I start getting some miles on it the shifting gets a little tight. Just seen the T5 10w 30 in Wally world may try it on my next service. Our trannys like clean oil that's for sure.
I believe T-5 is not to be used in the wing. I have tried many. I now us Mobile 1 High Mileage 10w/40. I can't find any mobile one motorcycle specific oil at Wall Mart.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

If you like T6 I think you may like T5 better. At least my bike likes it better. T5 is JASO MA certified. So it is ok for the Wing. T5 is 15w40 and I change every 8k even though it is still shifting smooth. I tried them all and I suggest you do the same and then make a decision on which one your bike likes the best.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you like T6 I think you may like T5 better. At least my bike likes it better. T5 is JASO MA certified. So it is ok for the Wing. T5 is 15w40 and I change every 8k even though it is still shifting smooth. I tried them all and I suggest you do the same and then make a decision on which one your bike likes the best.
Do you mean T5 or Rotella T? T5 is a syn blend, Rotella T is the dino 15W-40.
I didn't think there was a 15W-40 T5, just 10W-30 and 10W-40.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts