GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned something tonight about oil from of all people, my sister and Dad. For those that believe in 3000 mile recreational oil changes and 500 mile first oil changes, this is going to rock your world.

The conversation first started with my Dad. He just bought a new 2010 Accord EX about 6 months ago. He told me that he dropped his car off at the dealer to have a problem looked at where the car was pulling to the left. Since it already had 5,000 miles on it, he instructed the dealer to change the oil while it was there. The writeup guy checked the oil minder and it said he was at 55% oil life left. He told my Dad that he couldn't change the oil yet. When my Dad asked why, he was told that Honda uses synthetic oil with a break in oil added to it, and that the oil was not supposed to be changed until the oil minder was down to at least 15%.

I then stuck my foot in my mouth and told my Dad that was BS. Nobody uses break in oil anymore, and that he should go by what the owner's manual said.

Well, guess what. That is exactly what the owner's manual says. The first oil change on his car is not going to be due until 12,000 miles.

Then came another kick in the head. My sister told me that her 2008 BMW 335ci was the same. The dealer turned her away when she took her car in to get an oil change, and was told not to bring it back until the odometer hit 15,000 miles, for the same reason. The car had synthetic from the factory with break in oil. Her owner's manual also reiterated what the dealer told her.

This is a huge departure from the common old school 70's beliefs many people won't let go of. Manufacturers are not only extending intervals, but are now also specifically telling owners NOT to change their oil early. This will create quite a dilemma for those who insist on early first oil changes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I learned something tonight about oil from of all people, my sister and Dad. For those that believe in 3000 mile recreational oil changes and 500 mile first oil changes, this is going to rock your world.

The conversation first started with my Dad. He just bought a new 2010 Accord EX about 6 months ago. He told me that he dropped his car off at the dealer to have a problem looked at where the car was pulling to the left. Since it already had 5,000 miles on it, he instructed the dealer to change the oil while it was there. The writeup guy checked the oil minder and it said he was at 55% oil life left. He told my Dad that he couldn't change the oil yet. When my Dad asked why, he was told that Honda uses synthetic oil with a break in oil added to it, and that the oil was not supposed to be changed until the oil minder was down to at least 15%.

I then stuck my foot in my mouth and told my Dad that was BS. Nobody uses break in oil anymore, and that he should go by what the owner's manual said.

Well, guess what. That is exactly what the owner's manual says. The first oil change on his car is not going to be due until 12,000 miles.

Then came another kick in the head. My sister told me that her 2008 BMW 335ci was the same. The dealer turned her away when she took her car in to get an oil change, and was told not to bring it back until the odometer hit 15,000 miles, for the same reason. The car had synthetic from the factory with break in oil. Her owner's manual also reiterated what the dealer told her.

This is a huge departure from the common old school 70's beliefs many people won't let go of. Manufacturers are not only extending intervals, but are now also specifically telling owners NOT to change their oil early. This will create quite a dilemma for those who insist on early first oil changes.
I use snyth and change every 10K . On the goldwing follow the book and you are good , my st was every 8K for dino oil ,
Just not selling me oil until then as old wifes tale

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yes, I think the Jiffy Lubes, Express Oil and other quick oil change stores are the ones that started this 3,000 mile oil change. Their business depends on it! I have never changed my oil at 3,000 miles, I go to 7,500 in my pickup, Jeep, and Goldwing. Sometimes I run over a 1,000 or even 2,000. The oils just dont break down like people think. As long as you have a new filter on there you are fine in my book. Semi tractors used to change oil every 15,000 miles, now, most of the large fleets are up to 25,000 to 30,000 miles oil change intervals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've said this before. Long haul trucks are running over 100,000 miles on synthetic and changing the filters at 10,000 miles intervals.
I ran synthetic in my Dodge/cummins and sent a sample to the lab for analysis. Report came back to keep running it. I've since sold the truck, so I can't tell you the final outcome.

·
Banned
356 Posts
I've said this before. Long haul trucks are running over 100,000 miles on synthetic and changing the filters at 10,000 miles intervals.
I ran synthetic in my Dodge/cummins and sent a sample to the lab for analysis. Report came back to keep running it. I've since sold the truck, so I can't tell you the final outcome.
Big rig's run between 4 to 6 GALLON's of oil. Make's a big difference on interval's. Older vehicle's never came close to running as clean as newer vehicles. Plus, older vehicles never had the quality of oil's that are available today. Back in the day, 3k mile oil changes were really needed in some vehicles. Not so much anymore tho.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I think the Jiffy Lubes, Express Oil and other quick oil change stores are the ones that started this 3,000 mile oil change. Their business depends on it! I have never changed my oil at 3,000 miles, I go to 7,500 in my pickup, Jeep, and Goldwing. Sometimes I run over a 1,000 or even 2,000. The oils just dont break down like people think. As long as you have a new filter on there you are fine in my book. Semi tractors used to change oil every 15,000 miles, now, most of the large fleets are up to 25,000 to 30,000 miles oil change intervals.
The 3,000 mile oil change was not created by the quick change places. But they have tried to get people to hang on to old school ways of thinking. When we were young, 3000 miles was indeed the recommended interval.

What I learned tonight just blows those theories right out of the water. I never change my oil until the recommended interval, and the news surprised even me.

What I found most interesting is that manufacturers are going back to adding break in oil. I can only assume that it is due to the use of synthetic oil. Synthetic must not promote proper break in of the engine.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,546 Posts
Larry, my wife got a new Malibu last August and the book for it says to change the oil when the info. center says to no matter what the mileage is. :shock: It says the change oil message will light up at 15% oil life left. I changed it at 20% life left and 6,995 miles on the clock and the oil was black but wasn't thin like I expected to see. :shrug:

·
Registered
206 Posts
The oil in my work car is changed every 2000 miles. My work car is a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. Don't know why, but I take it in every 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
oil changes

A lot of big trucks are using a special oil filter system. One is called the Gulf Coast filter. It is a very fine filter running at very slow flow rate. It filters so fine that the oil inside the engine is actually cleaner than the oil in a new jug. At truck shows they will check the oil in a truck with 500,000 miles with no changes and use their white shirt to wipe the dip stick.
They have the owners send in oil samples to check the additive packages and look for trace elements like ash and metals to tell them if anything is going wrong. They only change the stock filters once or twice a year because the elements will turn to mush and clog the system.
The gulf coast name came from the development of the system because it was designed for the big generators used on oil rigs that run 24/7, 365 and are never shut off.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,000 Posts
My 2009 Honda Civic has one of those computers that tell you when to change the oil, rotate the tires, change the air filter etc... Anyways following the computer for oil changes, at 0% of oil life, the mileage has been at around 9800 miles for my way of driving.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

Not sure who created it. Used to be oil was parrifin based and did break down and did gunk up engines.

Oil is a new game now.

But they do like to fleece the sheep, I have a new Jeep and the dealership promotes an oil change every 3000 miles, hey they will sell you a fancy service contract for that. :lol:

Jiffy lube....yep.....and they like to put 32 psi in a 80 psi work truck tire too.

If you area woman your fan belt needs replacement, and yure coolant surely needs flushed, and hey do not forget a new air filter. :joke:

Lately around here you see them out by the road with signs, just like the homeless guys, hawking the oil change. They will give you a free windshield inspection and sell you some new wipers too............Lol!

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Not only are motor oils far superior to what they used to be, but the mechanical fits, surface finishes, and coatings inside engines have greatly improved as well.

The engine in my Jeep Cherokee is light years better than the 225 slant six in my 1964 Dodge Dart and so are the lubricants that go into it. There is no reason why a modern engine with modern oil can't go 7,500 miles between changes and that's being conservative.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Most of us on this board are old enough to remeber converstations we had with out GRANDFATHERS discussing engines, oil changes etc

Thus many things from the "old days" still remain in our heads.

It is indeed a new world and major advances have come to fruition regarding the building of modern internal combustion engines and the formulation of modern oils.

My 2009 Ford F150 requires oil changes about every 7500 miles
My company owned Ford Escape is the same....and the fleet owners will not have the oil changed until it is REQUIRED

Same with our Honda Goldwing engines....it is a modern engine that does NOT require 3000 mile changes

Anyone who changes oil before the required interval is wasting money and natural resources.

Lastly...again I put forth the question...Has anyone seen a genuine oil related engine failure in the Goldwing? An engine that has been irrepairably harmed by following the manufaturers recommended oil/filer change schedule using Honda filter and oil? (or any oil/filter combination)

I think not.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Mini (BMW) says I can go 18K between oil changes. At 8K on the first oil run, I tried the same and was told pretty much the same. Sent some to Blackstone. Got an email that said to drain the oil and replace the filter as it was in bypass, no indication of "break in" oil or additive unless it was used up. I did it myself and took the UOA to the dealership and got about every kind of song and dance one could immagine. Oil was abrasive, package was about 5%, filter in bypass and they still say their super duper untouchable high milage oil was good and Blackstone doesn't have a clue.
Long short, I change at 7K and use Mobile 1 instead of the Euro Castrol, and it does fine with no more reports like that. I don't know about Honda, but the European countries are brow beaten to go the longer oil change intervals according to the forums read. If that is true, the engineers have nothing to do with how long it stays, government mandates recomend them. Hmmm.
I agree the 3K has been long gone for lots of years. Toyota goes 5K intervals, Chevy + or - 10K, Diesel has always been a different story bacause of the ammount of oil they run. None of the auto makers agree that well, wonder why.
A lively debate for sure.

Cheers

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I think what they do not tell you is a modern engine following manufacture's guidelines that develops sludge has a coolant leak into the oil.

That will do it, does not take much to turn oil to gunk, with a bit of coolant leaking in and evaporation off the top of the valves and manifold.........

So once in awhile peek into the oil fill, or under the valve cover, if it looks bad, most likely coolant is leaking into it.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The oil in my work car is changed every 2000 miles. My work car is a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. Don't know why, but I take it in every 2,000 miles.
Could I have your used oil please:?:
No, disrespect meant.
I am old enough to remember when synthetic was first introduced. At that time(and this was in leaded gas days)you were to go 25K miles, change the oil filter, add a quart(most auto/pick ups had 1 quart oil filters) and go another 25K before changing.
Anybody else remember that:?:
Anybody remember the brand:?:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yep, remember both. I also remember they only made that claim for a couple of years then suddenly stopped.
They still make the stuff, and I like it, But they don't make claims like that any more. Others have taken their place.

·
Love The DCT
12,154 Posts
Could I have your used oil please:?:
No, disrespect meant.
I am old enough to remember when synthetic was first introduced. At that time(and this was in leaded gas days)you were to go 25K miles, change the oil filter, add a quart(most auto/pick ups had 1 quart oil filters) and go another 25K before changing.
Anybody else remember that:?:
Anybody remember the brand:?:
I remember it well and Mobile recommended 25 K using Mobil One. Ran it in our fleet vehicles back then. Only problem was anyplace you had any "sludge" that was keeping a valve cover gasket from leaking, the oil cleaned up the sludge and the valve covers would start to leak oil.

I also tended to leak past valve guide seals and was burned in the comustion process causing deposits on valve stems which did result in an occasional stuck valve. :doorag:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I remember it well and Mobile recommended 25 K using Mobil One. Ran it in our fleet vehicles back then. Only problem was anyplace you had any "sludge" that was keeping a valve cover gasket from leaking, the oil cleaned up the sludge and the valve covers would start to leak oil.

I also tended to leak past valve guide seals and was burned in the comustion process causing deposits on valve stems which did result in an occasional stuck valve. :doorag:
We have a winner-already
Grand prize: You get to wash/wax my trike:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.