GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done two changes on my new to me GW. Each time after the draining , I am adding 4.5 qts of new oil vs the 4 stated capacity. I use the slightly larger oil filter but this difference could not account for the additional half quart. I seat the dip stick as instructed without screwing in. Needless to say the trike is level when checking and the level is just to the second mark. Any others have similar experience or comments? Thx. A:)

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Yes bigger oil filter holds more oil. Nothing to worry about as long as you double check and make sure it doesn't go over the higher mark on the dip stick. If you went back to the original oil filter, it would only take 4.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Is your suspension OEM? Any changes that might cause the Wing to sit different on the center stand? If all is stock, with a stock front tire size, follow the instructions in the Owners Manual when adding oil. They are very specific ... run 3-5 mins, turn off and check the oil level after waiting at least 2 mins and no more then 3. It is not a static oil read .... it is a dynamic oil read. Anything other then doing it according to the Owners Manual and one may get unreliable, inconsistent results.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If its a trike this is common because of the tilt forward from the rake kits especially with stock springs. Mine would always read low until I put aftermarket springs in to bring up the sagging front end.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
No offense intended, but the "new to me GW" statement is most likely the answer here: You need to let the bike sit for several minutes between pouring the 4 quarts in, and then doing the stick measurement. I have an experienced dealer mechanic tell me that more than the 4 quarts (actually 3.9) can be harmful to the engine... he handed me back the 4th quart with the .1 quart of oil still left in the bottle on the last oil change he performed! Another mechanic at another dealer was "topping off" my oil with up to an additional 1/2 quart, by doing the stick measurement instantly after pouring the oil in; told me Honda in California (GL1800 mechanics class) told him to always top-off the Wing engine and ignore the owners manual. :shrug:

After much common-sense thought on the matter since then, I pour in 4 quarts- PERIOD. :yes1:

I have done two changes on my new to me GW. Each time after the draining , I am adding 4.5 qts of new oil vs the 4 stated capacity. I use the slightly larger oil filter but this difference could not account for the additional half quart. I seat the dip stick as instructed without screwing in. Needless to say the trike is level when checking and the level is just to the second mark. Any others have similar experience or comments? Thx. A:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All that info is good BUT if you put in 4 qts and it does not show up on the dipstick at all, How do you know if you are 3 qts low after 1000 miles?? A:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just put in 4 quarts, no more. Period. Next time you do an air filter change you will see lots of oil build up in the bottom of the air box, and you will know where it comes from, being you put in a half quart to much.
I disagree. While I also use the slightly larger filter I have found that regardless of the filter size my 07 GoldWing has ALWAYS taken more than 4 quarts to refill after changing the oil and filter. I don't think it is as much as a 1/2 quart but I have consistently had to ad a half a cup or so of oil in order to bring the level up to the mark. Assuming the Wing is on the center stand, keep in mind that the dipstick is inserted on an angle and the oil level (which is level) needs to split the difference on the low side as well as the high side of the mark on the slanted dipstick. Some may feel getting it close (using just 4 quarts) is close enough but getting the level right up thru the center on the dipstick mark is NOT overfilling it.

Also, I changed my AIR filter the first time at 35,000 miles and there was very little dirt and absolutely no oil visible anywhere in the air box or on the air filter.

I usually dump in one gallon of new T6 AeroShell and keep a separate gal for the additional small cup or two that is always required to bring me to the full mark. I never change the oil when the engine is cold but always :30 minutes or so after shut down. Not unusual for me to drain the engine for an hour or longer as there is always additional maintenance work to perform somewhere else. Maybe I am putting more oil in because I allow more oil to come out but I am NOT overfilling it. I start the engine after oil change and bring it up to temperature before shutting it down. I then wait 3 to 5 minutes or as much as 30 minutes and check the oil level one final time. It has always taken more than 4 quarts. YMMV

You don't change engine oil by the amount you are putting in. That reference is an approximation of what amount it is "expected" to take. You change the engine oil and bring it up to the level mark on the dipstick WHICH IS PRECISELY WHAT THE MARK ON THE DIPSTICK IS FOR.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your picture look like a Hannigan trike. That what I got I put 4 quart in it drive it around the block kill it let it sat 5 to 10 min oil is level with top line. I have never put over 4 quarts in it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can disagree till the cows come home. Read your service manual. Drain, New filter, just shy of FOUR quarts.

Your checking your oil WRONG if your doing as you describe above. Again, read your manual before typing your WRONG INFO on here. Or your WRONG Opinion.
Nothing wrong with my opinion OR my eyesight. I know how to read an oil level on a dipstick DIPSTICK. That is why they put a mark on the dipstick. The reference to approximately four quarts is just that, a reference. Common sense would tell anyone to use the mark on the dipstick and not an approximate reference to an expected amount.

Just like your comment about finding the excess oil in air box, you are full of yourself.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If your trike has been rake it should have extended in the front forks if it don't .you trike is not setting level that why your dipstick is reading wrong.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Is your suspension OEM? Any changes that might cause the Wing to sit different on the center stand? If all is stock, with a stock front tire size, follow the instructions in the Owners Manual when adding oil. They are very specific ... run 3-5 mins, turn off and check the oil level after waiting at least 2 mins and no more then 3. It is not a static oil read .... it is a dynamic oil read. Anything other then doing it according to the Owners Manual and one may get unreliable, inconsistent results.
Just put in 4 quarts, no more. Period. Next time you do an air filter change you will see lots of oil build up in the bottom of the air box, and you will know where it comes from, being you put in a half quart to much.
I just changed the oil in my bike the other night. I put 4 quarts in and checked the oil exactly like the manual says and I have no oil on my stick. I checked it the next morning after sitting all night and it reads full on the stick. I haven't added any oil yet, but the manual says to add oil if it doesn't reach the top mark. I really don't want to under or over fill it. I guess I have no choice but to add oil like the manual says, but I don't want any more oil in my air box than what I just cleaned up. :shrug:

Edit: Up until this oil change, all that was ever put in was 4 quart by the shop, and I never checked the stick between oil changes. 4 to 5 changes a season.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't get mad. You are wrong. Your providing wrong information. Look in your service manual, if you don't believe people on this board. Some of the members have been around the block a time or two

Do you even know what the manual says about checking your oil level? Or how much to add when doing a oil change? Or you just going off your cuff? LOL!

I find your "reference" that you elude to, is not found anywhere in the Service Manual or Owners Manual. I would like you to point out where it states this capacity is just a "reference" LOL! You are wrong.

To the Original Poster, just follow your Service Manual or your Owners Manual. Do not put more that the Manual or Owners manual tells you to. Then follow the directions on checking the oil to the letter. If you find it still a tad low, make a new mark on your dipstick to be your guide. With the added trike kits, front and rear suspensions the level will change. Just follow the manual. And again, if it is shy, make a new mark only after checking it correctly. Good Luck.
Rick:

I have been around the block once or twice myself. I'm not mad at all. And I'm not wrong. First time this week I've laughed this hard. Now you are telling people to "make a new mark on your dipstick"? That is absurd and I certainly hope no one takes you seriously. Did you get that suggestion from your manual too? I don't have my Wing triked but always level on the center stand and this is where I read my oil level from the dipstick, seated but not screwed in.

What if you have an oil leak or your engine uses a bit of oil between changes? The dipstick has a mark on it and that is the final authority of the correct oil level your engine/transmission is suppose to have between engine oil changes or during new oil changes. Putting 3.9 qts of oil in is only going to be accurate if you removed 3.9 qts of oil, right? What if more or less oil was removed? That will skew the 3.9 qt full reference you refer to that MUST be followed to get an accurate reading. You are the one giving false information here, not me.

I have never used an approximate reference for an amount of oil as an exact amount of what the oil level should be. If there is ever a difference between the two, (as I have found) I am smart enough to use the exact reference on the dipstick, not an approximate amount referenced anywhere else, owners manual, maintenance manual or otherwise. The dipstick is the exact oil level amount to use as an oil level reference, anything else will not be as accurate. PERIOD.

I guess they just do things differently in Oklahoma. Hope your cows come home soon. I won't debate this with you any further. Your comment about making a new mark on your dipstick is proof enough to anyone else reading this thread which is the best advice to follow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If its a trike this is common because of the tilt forward from the rake kits especially with stock springs. Mine would always read low until I put aftermarket springs in to bring up the sagging front end.
Yes, certainly sounds reasonable to expect differences in engine level with respect to the many mods from different trike kits out there. My earlier comments were in regard to a stock OEM two wheeled GoldWing. Any differences to engine level should be identified by the trike manufacturer and one should follow their recommendations for changes to oil levels.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like They Said

4 quarts and forget it; checking the oil level on a wing will either find you nuts or leave you nuts! I don't care how you check it you won't get the same reading twice. Fine to check if it has oil, but the precise level; forget it.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Rick:

I have been around the block once or twice myself. I'm not mad at all. And I'm not wrong. First time this week I've laughed this hard. Now you are telling people to "make a new mark on your dipstick"? That is absurd and I certainly hope no one takes you seriously. Did you get that suggestion from your manual too? I don't have my Wing triked but always level on the center stand and this is where I read my oil level from the dipstick, seated but not screwed in.

What if you have an oil leak or your engine uses a bit of oil between changes? The dipstick has a mark on it and that is the final authority of the correct oil level your engine/transmission is suppose to have between engine oil changes or during new oil changes. Putting 3.9 qts of oil in is only going to be accurate if you removed 3.9 qts of oil, right? What if more or less oil was removed? That will skew the 3.9 qt full reference you refer to that MUST be followed to get an accurate reading. You are the one giving false information here, not me.

I have never used an approximate reference for an amount of oil as an exact amount of what the oil level should be. If there is ever a difference between the two, (as I have found) I am smart enough to use the exact reference on the dipstick, not an approximate amount referenced anywhere else, owners manual, maintenance manual or otherwise. The dipstick is the exact oil level amount to use as an oil level reference, anything else will not be as accurate. PERIOD.

I guess they just do things differently in Oklahoma. Hope your cows come home soon. I won't debate this with you any further. Your comment about making a new mark on your dipstick is proof enough to anyone else reading this thread which is the best advice to follow.
If you are putting in more than 4 quarts, you are putting in too much. PERIOD. Too much oil is a bad thing. But go ahead.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My driveway slopes downhill slightly in front of the garage and I have always drained the oil in previous bikes by parking with the drain plug on the downhill side, then refilled with the correct amount of oil and pulled it back into the garage on a level surface to check the oil level.

When I got my wing, first thing I did upon getting home was to change the oil (on the side stand using a short Mobile1 MC filter), 4 quarts put it right at the bottom of the stick after warming the engine and moving to level ground. OK time to check the manual (and this forum). Next time I drained it while on the center stand on a level surface (per the manual), added 4 quarts of oil with a Honda filter and a new crush washer, warmed it up, checked and it was full.

Now was it the level surface drain, the Honda filter, or the new crush washer that made the level different?

John

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Guys, take a breath and step back a moment. If one guy wants to put in more than 3.9 qts of oil in HIS wing, who cares? It's HIS wing! If a different guy wants to add 3.9 qts of oil and leave it at that, who cares? It's HIS wing!
Both of you have good points...The bottom line is do what you want. It's YOUR wing.

Now if ya ask me, I'd....

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Guys, take a breath and step back a moment. If one guy wants to put in more than 3.9 qts of oil to HIS wing, who cares? It's HIS wing! If a different guy wants to add 3.9 qts of oil and leave it at that, who cares? It's HIS wing!
Both of you have good points...The bottom line is do what you want. It's YOUR wing.

Now if ya ask me, I'd....
Captain,
I have no opinion one way the other, but I do want to do it correctly. When flat, level and checked as per my owners manual, I get no reading on my stick. As per the manual I should add more oil at this point to bring it to the top mark. I didn't add any oil but instead, I left it sit overnight and checked it cold, and it's right at the top mark. In my mind if I add the oil as stated in the manual and then would happen to check it cold, would the oil run out of the fill tube when I remove the dip stick? I guess the key is to never check it cold. This thread really hasn't helped me so far, so until I figure it out, I believe that I'll follow the manual and add a little more oil, put the cap on and ride. I'll just never check it cold and wait until my next air filter change and see if I have any more oil in the air box than I had this time. This is the first year that I've done my own maintenance, so I'm not smart enough yet to tear up the manual and go rogue.....LOL

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I'm OK with people putting in any amount of oil they desire, it's their bike and they have a right to do what ever stupid thing they want to it.

What I'm not OK with, is coming here telling others it's the correct thing to do, all others including Honda are wrong.

Honda calls for 3.9 qts with a filter chage but I always put in the full 4 qts., running 4.5 qts you're over filling it and you will see oil on the bottom of the air filter box at your next filter change like Rick has stated.

Specially if you ride as you should using engine braking.

Got an idea, get yourself a longer dipstick if your are not getting a reading out of the four qts, do you do your own air filter changes ?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Captain,
I have no opinion one way the other, but I do want to do it correctly. When flat, level and checked as per my owners manual, I get no reading on my stick. As per the manual I should add more oil at this point to bring it to the top mark. I didn't add any oil but instead, I left it sit overnight and checked it cold, and it's right at the top mark. In my mind if I add the oil as stated in the manual and then would happen to check it cold, would the oil run out of the fill tube when I remove the dip stick? I guess the key is to never check it cold. This thread really hasn't helped me so far, so until I figure it out, I believe that I'll follow the manual and add a little more oil, put the cap on and ride. I'll just never check it cold and wait until my next air filter change and see if I have any more oil in the air box than I had this time. This is the first year that I've done my own maintenance, so I'm not smart enough yet to tear up the manual and go rogue.....LOL
Over the years with any vehicle, be it an old work van or a motorcycle regardless of expert advice I have always found it best to always check the oil the day after an oil change and see where it does end up. Then do not worry about it again until time to change it again, unless of course you notice lots of blue smoke following you around. :lol:

Myself if it says full on the stick hey it is full.

On the serious side I think that if you had used a better oil for your bike your rear drive would not have failed........that is a joke son...like the chicken said.......Lol!!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts