GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd share a couple of lessons from my 4k mile service I did yesterday (6MT):

Fred's video mentions a requirement to be on the side stand. I hadn't seen that anywhere. More to follow on that.

• Start on the center stand.
  • Remove drain plug.
  • Remove filter. I had a filter cap from my FJR that worked just fine. You can buy them at any auto parts store, no fancy Honda specific one required.
  • Clean all surfaces.
  • Prime filter and install.
  • Move drain pain and replace with a small container, rag or some paper towels.
  • Put bike on side stand and watch way more oil than you think should pour out. I really didn't think much would come out. I was wrong.
  • Put back on center stand, clean surface, replace bolt with new crush washer.
  • Fill oil with all 4 quarts.
  • Check levels according to procedure in owners manual and see a nearly, but not over-full reading.
  • You don't have to remove the side cylinder head cover to see the breather tube. It's a clear purple-ish. Mine was empty. I imagine removal will be necessary to drain it if needed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Derby, Thanks for your post! Did you use Honda filter PN:
15410-MFJ-D01

Craig

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Derby, Thanks for your post! Did you use Honda filter PN:
15410-MFJ-D01

Craig
Not sure, honestly. I went to the dealer and bought the filter from them. It was the same as the factory-installed one as far as I could tell (which had no numbers on it that I could find).

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
  • Put back on center stand, clean surface, replace bolt with new crush washer.
The original washer will last you dozens of oil changes if you don't overtorque the drain bolt.
That washer isn't really a crush washer at all.
If you crush it, you've way overtightened it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts