Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is not an oil debate post

i am going to use mobile one in my new 1800. it has only 700 snowbound miles right now. when should i go to a synthetic oil.

then how many miles between oil changes should i go.

loren

·
Registered
264 Posts
Loren, you'll get a number of different responses, I'm sure, but I changed the factory oil at 500 miles. Stayed with dino oil until 1500 miles and then made the switch to synthetic. I now change the synthetic every 4000 miles, much too often in the opinion of some and maybe not often enough for others, but it works for me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Change it any time you want. The normal Honda recommendation is 4k for the first change and every 8k after that. Also change the gear oil in the bikes rear end with a synthetic like Valvoline Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75w-90 as soon as possible but wait until you can ride it as it needs to be warm before you change it.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
loren - Andy's schedule is right on target as far as I'm concerned and you can't go wrong at all with that. I had my first service / oil change at 600 miles and some do that and some don't, it's pretty much a comfort level call. I have read enough on this topic to make me wonder if the best thing (if you really wanted to be real cautious) might be to do your very first oil / filter change the end of the first day you own your bike. I didn't, but next time I just might try that.

Hold off on the switch to synthetic for a short while and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your Wing.

DaleC

·
Chard Member
13,218 Posts
Change to 100% Synthetic on day one if you want. Why not? The days of break-in oil is long gone.

Many cars come from the factory with M-1. These are high dollar cars, not Yugos. I doubt if the manufacturers would allow anything into the engine that might cause harm to it.

I'm no chemist, but I change my semi-synthetic at approx 5,000 miles. That is 5 or 6 oil changes a year for me.

·
Young Buck
2,566 Posts
Loren-

Did you actually think that you'd come anything close to a consensus with such a question? :lol:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Oil Change

Personally I would wait till at least 3000 miles to change to synthetic, it gives the motor plenty of time to seat the rings and such but as mentioned you will get lots of opinions, but it isnt going to hurt any thing to wait. :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mrgl02 said:
Loren-

Did you actually think that you'd come anything close to a consensus with such a question? :lol:
i personaly didnt have experience at this question. it seems that there are as many answers as goldwings.

if i change oil often and use synthetic, ill be fine. its probably the area where i have the least knowledge, engine stuff. thats why i always get hondas. gas, oil , key and go.

loren

·
Registered
324 Posts
Boy, are there enough different opinions on this topic?? :D

I've owned 7 street bikes in my life and have always dumped the initial oil at about 500 miles (+ or -). I replace with synthetic. Also rear end lube.

My Corvettes came from the factory with synthetic and have never had anything but synthetic. That is what is recommended in the owner's manuals and even on the oil cover/cap on the engine.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
loren said:
if i change oil often and use synthetic, ill be fine. its probably the area where i have the least knowledge, engine stuff. thats why i always get hondas. gas, oil , key and go.
Boy, I'm with you! I'd rather ride 'em than wrench on 'em. Which is why I'm on my 4th Wing.

John in Vegas

·
Registered
533 Posts
Owners Manual is best reference

Actually, the range of opinions is smaller than usual, in the 4K to 5K range for changing.

The big difference in the posts so far, is when to make the first change. Some of us codgers remember the break-in-oil and ring-seating from days of yore.

Take a look at the Owners Manual....as I recall it's recommendation was 4K for the first change and 8K thereafter (and, this is for dino oil), unless certain conditions exist. A recommendation to follow the manfacturer's recommendation is about the only one you won't see on an advice board.

Bottom Line is: make your change to synthetic anytime before 4K (I did mine at 3K, but who cares). I also change it too often after that. I change every 5K+/- 1000 because it is easier to remember than any other frequency rate. However, if you don't put many miles on the bike, make sure you change it at least every six months.

The real Bottom Line: it really doesn't matter. You will never hear of a Honda engine/clutch failure because of oil, if it has been changed according to Honda's recommendation.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't have it with me but when I first asked this question I was refered to a website for Motoman or something like that. He gave a very lengthy explanation of this subject that I followed. It was basically this:

First Change - 50 miles or less
Second Change - 150 miles
Third Change about 500 miles
Forth Change about 1500 miles and this one switch to synthetic, if you want.

The point was, ride it hard and take out the flakes of aluminum that will come off the journals, etc. When I changed it at about 60 miles, there was a LOT of aluminum at the bottom of the catch pan and it looked as dark as maple syrup. Better after the 150, at 500 fairly clear and at 1500 it was in great shape.

I will say that the synthetic made the shifts much smoother. Now I have to get to the drive shaft oil and put synthetic back there too!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you wonder why your dealer recommended changing first time at 600 miles or so, do this as I did. Pour out some of the old oil from the filter from the first change in the drain pan where you can get some bright light on it and look at all the shiny stuff you get. Metal from break in, shavings left from engine building, I don't know what, but it was remarkable.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Too bad you didn't have a few photos taken of the oils at the early changes. The super early oil changes (600 miles and/or less) are sometimes considered foolhearty and unnecessary since it's not in the "Manual", but a good picture is still worth a 1000 words, especially if you're seeing sparkles of metal flashing at you this early.

Good information and posts, that confirm what I will do even earlier than my 600 mile change I did this last time.

DaleC

·
Registered
533 Posts
Now, this is just getting funny, after such a good start

pgreen (I think this is a symptom of something)

So your source says that when you pick up the new bike and head down the road for a 2400 miles trip, you should be sure to pack 16 quarts of your oil of choice, a funnel and catch pan and 4 oil filters along with your clothing and weather gear? Its a plan. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Maybe I am finally learning why so many wingers tow cargo trailers. :?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.