GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Goldwing (2016) and I know the manual says 8,000 miles between changes but I have installed a Hannigan GTL sidecar and plan to pull my Bunkhouse camper. I plan to use Honda filters and oil (probably synthetic), what would be a good interval considering my parameters?

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
This is my first Goldwing (2016) and I know the manual says 8,000 miles between changes but I have installed a Hannigan GTL sidecar and plan to pull my Bunkhouse camper. I plan to use Honda filters and oil (probably synthetic), what would be a good interval considering my parameters?

Thanks, Robert.
There are many variables here. The best way to determine that is to pick a change interval, say 5000 miles and send your oil to Blackstone for a UOA. They can give you a good idea for your riding conditions. The way you ride your motorcycle has a lot to do with the needed change interval. If you ride lots of short trips in extreme weather, you will need more frequent oil changes than if you ride down the Interstate at the speed limit in 75 degree weather.

Many will chime in and say if you change your oil according to the owner's manual, you will be fine. Others will use a group IV or V synthetic and change their oil every 3K miles. I use a Group III synthetic and change my oil at between 5 and 8K miles. Blackstone told me on the sample I sent in that 7K miles would be fine for my riding conditions and the oil I am using.

·
Registered
475 Posts
No need to change more frequently unless it makes you feel better. Some claim to experience shift roughness after 4-5k miles but I have not (DelVac 1 ESP 5w-40).
As with any oil threads, you are going to get a lot of conflicting opinions. I submitted mine based on my experiences and research.
I also keep a small log book in the Wing (all my vehicles) to keep track of all maintainence. So far I've never exceeded the recommended interval per riding season (short).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I like keeping things simple. I change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals, such as 85,000, then 90,000. Using round numbers divisible by 5 makes it real easy to know when an oil change is due. I use whatever motorcycle rated oil of 10w/30 or 10w/40 weight the local auto parts store has on its shelf. I do use Honda oil filters. Sometimes I use synthetic oil, sometimes dinosaur oil. IMHO having a sidecar and pulling a trailer shouldn't effect the oil change interval. It's more important to actually change the oil and filter on a regular schedule.

·
Vendor
21,302 Posts
It is MY OPINION, that the 8K mile interval specified by Honda is too long. Personally, I cut that in HALF. The service intervals in the manual are "best case" scenarios. Most manufactures also list a "severe use" maintenance schedule and Honda puts a note in theirs about increasing the interval if you ride in rain, dusty, or wet conditions, or use full throttle. That essentially means every one who rides needs to decrease this interval.

And another couple of things to think about. First, if the oil you are using costs so much money that you can't afford to change it every 4K miles (or less), then I'd suggest switching to a less expensive brand. You are better off using a cheaper oil and changing it more often than using some super expensive oil that only gets changed every 8K miles.

And second, for the amount of money (and time) you spend sending your oil off to a lab to be analyzed, you could have just changed out the oil and filter. I believe it's false economy to try to sneak every single mile out of your oil before you change it, and those lab reports don't always tell the whole story anyway. You can feel your bike shift differently when the oil starts to get over about 3K miles on it. That's your bikes way of telling you it's time to change the oil.

Note: Attached schedule is from 2018 Owners Manual.

·
Registered
20,610 Posts
Regrettably no 2018+ for me yet but the first oil change on my 2002 was just past 4,000 miles, after that the majority of my changes were shortly after 8,000 miles, I actually went 10,000 a few times and once 12,000 miles because I ain’t interested in changing oil in the middle of a trip. 545,000 miles later it’s still running great but I do wonder if 4,000 mile intervals might have changed Anything.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Regrettably no 2018+ for me yet but the first oil change on my 2002 was just past 4,000 miles, after that the majority of my changes were shortly after 8,000 miles, I actually went 10,000 a few times and once 12,000 miles because I ain’t interested in changing oil in the middle of a trip. 545,000 miles later it’s still running great but I do wonder if 4,000 mile intervals might have changed Anything.
In my opinion and based on my experience, the only thing that would have changed was the amount of money you spent on oil and the amount of time you spent changing oil. Anything else would not have been noticeable.

·
Vendor
21,302 Posts
By the way, I'd just like to say that I think it's really great that we can break in the new forum with an OIL THREAD! :cool:

We need to start a new oil thread on here at least every 4K miles or 4 months, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
@Fred H. I am surprised at your idea that the OCI is too long. I certainly do not have either the expertise or experience to argue.

My father always said he thought it was better to have clean cheap oil in an engine than dirty expensive oil.

My total bill for an oil change is around $35, so I don't feel bad about sending it to Blackstone once in a while.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting thing I read years ago in a book on motorcycles, regarding oil change intervals, is that the US Government pushes manufacturers to suggest higher and higher oil change intervals, not because it is technically the right thing to do, but due to environmental concerns of oil production and consumption. That would not surprise me one bit if it was true. So for me, I will stick with the standards of yesteryear. It simply is a small and irrelevant cost differential changing oil every 3000-5000 miles versus higher, and nobody can say that changing oil too often if bad.......except for the tree huggers.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Interesting thing I read years ago in a book on motorcycles, regarding oil change intervals, is that the US Government pushes manufacturers to suggest higher and higher oil change intervals, not because it is technically the right thing to do, but due to environmental concerns of oil production and consumption. That would not surprise me one bit if it was true. So for me, I will stick with the standards of yesteryear. It simply is a small and irrelevant cost differential changing oil every 3000-5000 miles versus higher, and nobody can say that changing oil too often if bad.......except for the tree huggers.
Actually, if you read some oil forum and used oil tests, changing oil in too short of intervals will cause more engine wear than "normal" intervals. The detergent package additives in the oil is dispersed relatively soon after new oil is put to use. More engine wear is found during this "cleaning" part of the interval than afterwards.
For me, I'm sticking with an annual oil change interval and/or the scheduled interval unless for some reason shifting becomes noticeable different.
Oil disposed/recycled properly isn't much of an environmental concern. And no, I'm not a "tree hugger".

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I just follow the instructions in the manual, and change it every 8,000

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have no idea why new Honda motorcycles have no oil life monitors given the cost of these bikes but in cars oil life monitors have done away with standard mileage-based intervals for years. Engine rpm, idle time ambient temp, cold starts, fuel mileage, terrain etc are a much more individualized determination of oil life. Without these sensor inputs, Honda can just state an average mileage based oil life and likely that is conservative. I have a Honda CRV and live in moderate temps, don't use the car for short trips often and am not aggressive in my driving habits. The oil life monitor indicated
90% at 980 miles
70% at 3435 miles
50% at 5567 miles

So each 10% in oil life was about 1,000 miles I should therefore get about 10,000 miles before oil change BUT my next reading said oil change required. Why? 1 year elapsed. I don't ride more than 8,000 miles per year so a yearly oil change is required. However if I take a very long trip, the oil degradation is reduced (less cold starts, less temp changes, more highway speeds) so I would have no problem if I changed the oil before and after a 10,000 mile trip.

However, while we are ocusing on the regular oil change interval, the OP's question was about high load riding oil changes. I noticed Ford found that monitor oil change intervals average mileage was up to 10,000 miles, with trailer tow/high load driving the monitored average went down to between 5,000 and 75000 miles (the variation depending on load) Based on this I would estimate you should change oil at half the recommended interval or minimally yearly.

G.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Follow the manual.

While some people may have arguments and feelings that make sense on the surface, the FACTS are that there has not been a single oil-related issue or failure reported on a GL1800. That's 17 years of manufacturing and 20 years of service! There are many who over-maintain and refuse to let go of 30+ year old "Jiffy Lube" mentality. The only teardown of a GL1800 engine that I've seen posted on this site was at 100,000 miles with 8,000-12,000+ mile oil changes using various oils and the inside still looked brand new - you could still see the hone marks. Also, while some people think they ride in harsh conditions... they really don't. Not anything that the bike can't handle.

I have over 100,000 miles on my 2006 and most of it was pulling a loaded KwikKamp and a Bunkhouse tent trailer. No problems.

FACTS over feelings. Trust the maintenance schedule in the manual. Put the savings of money in the gas tank and the savings on time with your butt in the seat! ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
As for automobile oil monitoring systems and suggested oil changes......again, is this designed to make a technically correct oil change interval, OR to reduce the number of oil changes as pressured by environmentalists. I know my 2015 F150 has me changing oil at over 10,000 miles, and that is just wrong.

Secondly........ALL OF THIS IS MORE TYPICAL "OVER-THINKING" THAT SEEMS ALL TO COMMON IN TOO MANY FORUMS ON TOO MANY SUBJECTS. It makes me laugh.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Yes, you would have wasted a bunch of extra oil, time and money! ;)

·
Vendor
21,302 Posts
Actually, if you read some oil forum and used oil tests, changing oil in too short of intervals will cause more engine wear than "normal" intervals. The detergent package additives in the oil is dispersed relatively soon after new oil is put to use. More engine wear is found during this "cleaning" part of the interval than afterwards.
I'm not buying that theory. If more engine wear occurred after an oil change, then why does your engine run smoother, quieter, and shift better following an oil change?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm not buying that theory. It sounds like something someone made up to justify longer change intervals. I'd like to see some real evidence or facts that back it up. If more engine wear occurred after an oil change, then why does your engine run smoother, quieter, and shift better following an oil change?
Guess you can do a bunch of reading, research and talk to the techs at an oil analysis lab (Blackstone does tons of them) and debunk the "myth". Granted, motorcycles use the oil in the transmission and clutch which is different than most vehicle engine use, but in many short changed oil intervals wear materials were noted as being high for the length of use and noted to be such due to the detergent "cycle". I'm certainly not saying you will accelerate wear in your Wing engine by short change intervals, but as many others have shown with very "high" miles and normal or longer change intervals, changing oil every 3-4000 miles is certainly not getting you extra needed life for the engine.
I've never had better, smoother running/shifting following an oil change in the previous bikes and so far not the old Wing either, (maybe it's the oil I use?) but admit my experience with this particular beast is limited. Most such claims are just because people feel better after the oil change thinking they have done a great thing saving their engine.
Carry on...

·
Vendor
21,302 Posts
It sounds like a classic case of wrong conclusions taken from data.

When the detergent is doing it's job, it is holding the wear materials in suspension better. So naturally a sample taken before the detergent is broken down will have more wear metal in it versus old oil where all the detergent is broken down, and now all the wear material is no longer held in suspension. So the guy reading the oil analysis says look, this one has more wear material, it must mean more wear is occurring. No, it just means you captured more wear metal in your sample.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts