GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok search could not find the answer. Did Oil change before putting the bike up for the winter in November, using Amsoil synthetic. There was some OK days to ride so I got it out and rode 2 or 3 days from November till now. So the question is, how many change the oil when they are getting ready for the riding season? If you don't change the oil because it was clean when you put it in. When will you change the oil? after 1 month of riding? first 1000 miles?

Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wouldn't change it, some people change oil before storage and others will change after storage. For me I change oil after storage, removing the oil from last season.

Thats just me, i'm sure there is a great reason to change before season.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wouldn't change it, some people change oil before storage and others will change after storage. For me I change oil after storage, removing the oil from last season.

Thats just me, i'm sure there is a great reason to change before season.
:agree: same here

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Storage??:lol:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Honda says to change it when going into storage to remove the acids that are in it that could attack the metal surfaces. I would run it after storage unless you have ridden it enough during storage to meet the change interval.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Oil change from storege

I GoldWingMens

I start it in the spring, I did a full audit, I ride 50 km, and I made ​​a change engine oil and final drive.

FlyBoy2121:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I would not change the oil any more than I would in a cage. No big deal at all. Sometimes we get thinking too hard. :lol:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Honda says to change it when going into storage to remove the acids that are in it that could attack the metal surfaces. I would run it after storage unless you have ridden it enough during storage to meet the change interval.
I would concur with Honda on this one. Used oil is full of acids and other things that can damage critical engine surfaces during storage. It just makes more sense to put your baby away with fresh oil rather than leaving the old oil in place. Also, with all the necessary maintenance done, you are good to go first thing in the spring

Up here in Ontario, bikes go into storage from November/December and come out in April of the next year. This is a long time to sit with corrosive oil in the engine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oil changes and Storage

Cardinal Rule: Always change your oil before any long storage (3-4 months) and put a stabilizer in the fuel and make sure you run the engine to fully circulate the stabilizer. Gas has about a 90 day shelf life. Also do the same to your snowblowerss, lawnmowers, weed wackers, etc. If you are really fussy you can use http://www.aslcamguard.com/ these products for engine storage. Used on $100K aircraft engines, approved data by the FAA. Dave B. Denver

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Only issue I have with what Honda says is, how many miles do you have to ride to contaminate the oil? If you ride it a few times in the winter doesn't that negate the benefit of changing before storage? I have not read what Honda recommends but maybe that is for prolonged storage where the bike will not be ridden. I change mine at 8k no matter when that occurs. Did that with my 1500 I had for 16 years and never had an engine issue burning oil etc.. Do what makes you feel good.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Just my way.

My '02 does not get ridden as much as it should, but its near 120,000 miles now. I did the first oil change at 4,000 and did several after that at 8,000 and have settled on 5,000 miles interval since because that seems to be how far the oil allows nice snick-snick shifts (regardless the several excellent brands I have used). Point is, I totally ignore time or season of the year. Like the OP, I ride on the occasional pretty or "tolerable" winter days. I had to replace the Alternator Driven Gear (ADG) assembly at about 100,000. Such being the only engine trouble this bike has given me. The inside of the rear case and the associated gears all looked pristine, no corrosion or char or even heavy staining. Bearing all smooth. STORAGE, to me at least, means many months if not a year or longer. Then I would store with fresh fluids and block the bike up and purge the fuel lines, remove battery, and provide a cool stable environment. But for just weeks or a few months; nahhhhhhh. Ride that sucker!

prs

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Ok search could not find the answer. Did Oil change before putting the bike up for the winter in November, using Amsoil synthetic. There was some OK days to ride so I got it out and rode 2 or 3 days from November till now. So the question is, how many change the oil when they are getting ready for the riding season? If you don't change the oil because it was clean when you put it in. When will you change the oil? after 1 month of riding? first 1000 miles?

Thanks
You'll find your best answer in your Owner's Manual under "storage." Basically, you did the right thing by changing it prior. Now since it's been changed, and you've been riding, I'd change it at it regular oil change intervol. It points out in the manual that the reason for the change prior to storing it is them not wanting you to forget where you are on your services. Doing them more frequent is far better then forgetting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate all the responses....

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Sometimes perspective on reality just disappears...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Change mine just before winter storage which is about 5-6 months long for me. After storage I ride with the same oil. I'm using Amsoil synthetic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts