GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an oil change yesterday. Here is the question. Does this bike use a sealing ring on the oil drain bolt. Yes or no.

I did the whole no leaks etc. I empty the oil drain pan and there a washer in there, It may have very well been on my last bike. I did not drop the nut in the oil this time but may have several bikes ago.

Does your bike have a washer on this bolt that hold the oild in the bike. If it does and mine doesn't leak should I go through all the effort to try to quickly put the washer back on.

G

·
Yes to the washer....

(....and it's very tricky to get the drain plug back off, install washer,
and re-insert drain plug.....all after you've put 4 quarts of fresh oil
in the crankcase! :oops: ...I know!)

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Tourist said:
(....and it's very tricky to get the drain plug back off, install washer,and re-insert drain plug.....all after you've put 4 quarts of fresh oilin the crankcase! :oops: ...I know!)
Not if you turn the bike upside down before removing the plug.... :duck:

I'm not sure if I'd try to reuse the oil or not. What about getting someone to help, and that person could tightly hold a rag over the oil drain hole as soon as the plug is removed. And then have them pull away as you start to reinsert the plug. This way you'd probably only lose a half a quart or less.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes it does have a washer. Mine always sticks to the engine and I have to remove it with my fingernail. It's never came off with the drain plug.
If your's isn't leaking, there's a good chance that yours stuck to the engine also. I'd keep a close eye on it. If it really bugs you, not knowing for sure, drain it into a clean container and double check it. Once your sure one way or the other, pour the oil back in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had the washer stick to the motor when I removed the plug. I usually replace the washer with a new one when I change the oil, and that's when I noticed it right there, stuck over the drain hole. Hope yours is there too.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Go back and correct your mistake. Drain the oil completely. Use a fresh 14mm washer every time you change the oil. BTW, the final drive drain plug uses the same 14mm washer.

Some will tell you to reuse the same washer. Why bother. I bought a bag of them from Hal and if memory serves me they cost quite a bit less than 25 Cents each.

They are crush washers. They create a seal. Others will reuse the washer, but this practice will risk leaks. Don't ruin a perfectly fine riding day by leaking oil due to no washer or reusing an old washer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The drain plug washer is an aluminum sealing washer, a crush washer is different thing and cannot be used over. I did exactly what it sounds like you did deepfeet. It was on my old Valk Interstate. I found the washer in the bottom the oil tub. I took the bike out for a ride, got it good and hot, no leaks. I left it that way until the next oil change then put the old washer back on the drain plug. I used that washer several times, never had any kind of a leak. I have owned 3 Wings and the Valk, have always used the washers several times. (several being more than twice) I know the book says to change it every other oil change and I have nothing against changing washer every oil change, if fact, I would use a new one before I would dig an old one out of the oil tub but would not worry about using an old one unless it looks ragged. And I wouldn't throw away 4 qts. of new oil (especially if it's synthetic) just to put the washer on if it isn't leaking. JMHO

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If it's not leaking then I would leave it alone until your next oil change. If you insist on trying to replace it before then I would try laying the bike down on its right side before removing the drain plug.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Would someone please explaing the reasoning for NOT reusing brand new oil just put into a bike? :shock: Does putting it into the bike make it instantly go bad or something?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
BuffaloChuck said:
Would someone please explaing the reasoning for NOT reusing brand new oil just put into a bike? :shock: Does putting it into the bike make it instantly go bad or something?
Do you want the oil company reasoning or the guy off the street reasoning? The oil company reason is to make your wallet lighter while making thiers fatter. My personal opinion would be based on the condition of the drain pan. If you have an open drain pan that can be thouroghly cleaned I would find nothing wrong with reusing the oil. However, if your drain pan is like mine and it is impossible to clean the inside then I would not reuse the oil.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes it has a washer. Just get someone to help you. Remove the plug and have the helper hold their finger over the hole while you put the washer on and then put the plug back in. you will loose a little oil but no big deal.
Just don't do it when its hot.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Gee Whiz! Crush washer...Sealing washer. It's all semantics to me. Examine the aluminum 14 mm washer from your oil drain. After one use you will see the the crush/sealing indents on it. If it leaks after one use or 100 uses, what's the diff. The oil costs more than 100 washers. The inconvenience of a leak during a ride is priceless. Change the washer every time. If you made a mistake and forgot the washer simply drain the oil into a CLEAN container...put on a fresh washer...pour the oil back in.

If you can't manage a clean container...you probably shouldn't be changing your own oil.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was able to undo the bolt holding the oil in and stick my finger in the hole while my wife readied the bolt and washer. I jsut slipped it in the hole. Lost 1/2 cup of oil. Toped it off and were in business again.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Can anyone help me out on the final drive oil cap. The drain cap uses the same washer as the engine oil drain plug (Part #94109-14000). But, the final drive fill/inspection cap uses a seal (Part #913002-001-020). The manual says each must be changed after use. I went to a dealer in our town and asked about the seal. They had none in stock, but had two on order for a customer. He checked his records and found that this was the first time in two years that they had ordered the seals for the shop. What are the mechanics doing in the back? Reusing the old seal?

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
MotoWorf said:
What are the mechanics doing in the back? Reusing the old seal?
Yes, reuse it! I haven't changed one of those o-rings in the 25 years I've owned and serviced Wings.

·
Registered
237 Posts
turn bike upside down and then the oil want run out when u take the plug out to check for the washer, jk. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.