GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving this Saturday for an 8000 mile ride on my new Goldwing.
I will need to do the first service at 4000 miles which will be somewhere between
Portland Or. and the Ca. line on highway 1. Do any of you know a dealer that would help a traveler out with a days notice?
I have called a few places and was surprised they offered no help.

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered just changing it yourself in a parking lot? You can buy some cheap aluminum catering trays from Walmart to use as a disposable drain pan.

Alternatively, if you're willing to drive a little out of your way, the Kawasaki/Honda dealer in Medford, Oregon (Kawasaki Honda of Medford - New & Used ATVs, Motorcycles, UTVs, Sales, Service, and Parts in Medford, OR, near Grants Pass, Ashland, Roseburg and Klamath Falls) has treated me well when I lived in Oregon.
I do plan on doing all my own maintenance in the future but I would prefer the first time to be in my shop. Thanks for the other names.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I did my first oil change last Friday after the dealer That I bought my bike from said that they could not get me is for service until September 3rd. It was easy and took less than half an hour. The biggest problem was getting the oil filter off. The dealer must have had a gorilla tighten it. I had to use a hammer on the wrench.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Sucks to have a problem on the road. I had my rear lighting harness connector wear out as we reached Vegas. No brake lights or turn signals. Known failure in the big connector that sits under back of the seat. Went to a Honda place i South Vegas, they wouldn't touch it, even though I was on a 10 day road trip with 3 other guys. Said soonest they could do anything would be 2 weeks hence. Asshats. Would have been a 30 minute job for them..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I will need to do the first service at 4000 miles which will be somewhere between
Portland Or. and the Ca. line on highway 1. Do any of you know a dealer that would help a traveler out with a days notice?
I have called a few places and was surprised they offered no help.
It has been my experience that most dealers will help out someone on a road trip. Locate a dealer along your planned route and give them a call before you depart on your trip. Give them your planned arrival date and your cell phone number, and tell they you will call the day before and confirm. I have had oil, filter and final drive fluid serviced in Colorado, California, North Dakota, Montana and British Columbia, and tires replaced in Ohio, by doing just as I described. Never turned away!
Good Luck and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think a dealer would move your repairs to a priority status if you experience a breakdown on the road, but an oil change. Prolly be able to get to it sometime in September. Enjoy the town.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Portland Or. and the Ca. line on highway
Or, you can do the first service now. Plenty of owners have done their first service well before the 4,000 mile owner's manual recommendation. Just make sure you have the parts needed to do the next service, because you'll be due for it when you get home.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
I know some will disagree, but it wouldn't be the end of the world going beyond 4000.

In any case, I agree that 200 is too early.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
How many miles do you have now? I had dealer give me a free oil change at around 2k, then did next at 10k. If you have 1k or more I would do it before I leave and then forget about it. When a mfg recommends 8k, you can probably do 10. You can bet that 8k includes a safety margin.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I guess I could, seams like a waste changing oil at 200 miles.
And now we get the rest of the story. I would NOT have suggested changing the oil now if I had known you had a whole 200 miles on the bike. That oil is as good as the new oil you would put in.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And now we get the rest of the story. I would NOT have suggested changing the oil now if I had known you had a whole 200 miles on the bike. That oil is as good as the new oil you would put in.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Yes 200 on it now and 8000 when I get home. I am looking forward into breaking it in.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Look in the California sub forum and work out a plan with someone to stop somewhere in the northern tip of CA and change it. If you were close to me, you could use my tools and change it here but I am too far away in SoCal.

P.S. Check your gear oil before you leave as they are known to be low from the dealership

·
Registered
335 Posts
Or, you can do the first service now. Plenty of owners have done their first service well before the 4,000 mile owner's manual recommendation. Just make sure you have the parts needed to do the next service, because you'll be due for it when you get home.
dang, change the oil early and risk the written wrath of other people here?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did my 4K change in an O'Reilly's parking lot in Flagstaff Arizona, during at trip from Indiana, to L.A. and back. Bought one of their 3 dollar drain pans inside. Gave them the used oil, and was gone in 45 minutes. Nice folks. Parked by the dumpster, and threw all my dirty towels in there. Was a great trip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see you said in your post its your new gold wing, but never said what year you purchased. is it a 2018 leftover or 1019? if it is that oil has been sitting in the engine for 2 years and if thats the case i would change it before You leave. other wise I would get it changed on your trip.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts