GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I am leaving this Saturday for an 8000 mile ride on my new Goldwing.
I will need to do the first service at 4000 miles which will be somewhere between
Portland Or. and the Ca. line on highway 1. Do any of you know a dealer that would help a traveler out with a days notice?
I have called a few places and was surprised they offered no help.
I live in Corvallis, which is 80 miles south of Portland, 10 miles off of I-5 or 1 hour inland on good motorcycling road if you are coming from the coast. You are welcome to use my shop setup (lift, tools) to do your oil change. You can even stay the night if you wish. I live alone, and have plenty of room.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just wanted to say.. It's always nice to see when a community of riders will volunteer their services/shop/whatever to help a fellow rider. Gives me joy to see that. Thanks fellow riders....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I live halfway between Seattle and the border-20 minutes off I-5. I have Amsoil 10W40 and cold beer on hand. You are welcome to use my shop, lift, and tools.
Thanks so much for the offer. I changed oil before we left and should be ok till I get home.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I did my first oil change last Friday after the dealer That I bought my bike from said that they could not get me is for service until September 3rd. It was easy and took less than half an hour. The biggest problem was getting the oil filter off. The dealer must have had a gorilla tighten it. I had to use a hammer on the wrench.
FWIW...................same happened to me on my 1'st oil change. I COULD NOT get the filter off !!!! Had to ride to the dealer I bought it from. The mechanic gets under my bike in the parking lot after I asked him to just loosen it a tiny bit so I could do the change myself. This is a Honda DEALER mind you. The guy is under my bike and he starts to gorilla the filter.................EVEN TIGHTER !! Cant make this stuff up. He's turning it the wrong way !!! ..............................geez ...................... even a # 2 like me could see that.

·
Registered
621 Posts
How many miles do you have now? I had dealer give me a free oil change at around 2k, then did next at 10k. If you have 1k or more I would do it before I leave and then forget about it. When a mfg recommends 8k, you can probably do 10. You can bet that 8k includes a safety margin.
That "safety margin ??" Of course !!!!!! If they say 8, you can most certainly go 10 or so.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It has been my experience that most dealers will help out someone on a road trip. Locate a dealer along your planned route and give them a call before you depart on your trip. Give them your planned arrival date and your cell phone number, and tell they you will call the day before and confirm. I have had oil, filter and final drive fluid serviced in Colorado, California, North Dakota, Montana and British Columbia, and tires replaced in Ohio, by doing just as I described. Never turned away!
Good Luck and Ride Safe!

Agree about dealers in general going over and above when they see out-of-state plates regardless of how busy they are. It's been my experience several times that the further away from home I've been, say, in California with New York plates, they get a kick out of how far you've come. Same goes for small, owner operated motels and restaurants.

·
Registered
773 Posts
FWIW...................same happened to me on my 1'st oil change. I COULD NOT get the filter off !!!! Had to ride to the dealer I bought it from. The mechanic gets under my bike in the parking lot after I asked him to just loosen it a tiny bit so I could do the change myself. This is a Honda DEALER mind you. The guy is under my bike and he starts to gorilla the filter.................EVEN TIGHTER !! Cant make this stuff up. He's turning it the wrong way !!! ..............................geez ...................... even a # 2 like me could see that.

Yep, "any monkey on a leash" with a wrench can call himself a mechanic.

Reactions: Hoopdc
61 - 67 of 67 Posts