GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been many discussions on the previous board about oil, I do not want to start a this is better brand or anything, I just have a simple question on using Mobil 1 Red Cap. What is the weight that everyone uses, I'm in Fla and just purchased some 15 W 50. Is this an ok weight? First time using synthetic oil. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Bandleader,
So far as I know the 15w50 with the red cap is the only auto grade Mobil 1 suitable for motorcycles. The other weights contain friction modifiers that may damage the clutch. If you have been using dino oil you are in for a treat. The trans just loves the stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tater and Rottendog, I have noticed the difference right off, the bike shifts very smooth, bike seems to have more get up and go, as if it really needed it. Have you noticed any change in your milage?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
oil change

I tried the shell rotella T 5-w-40 synthetic at my last oil change. It works as good as mobil one. It sells at walmart for 12.88 a gallon which is the perfect size for the wing. I'm going to stay with the shell. JD

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
oil change

I tried the shell rotella T 5-w-40 synthetic at my last oil change. It works as good as mobil one. It sells at walmart for 12.88 a gallon which is the perfect size for the wing. I'm going to stay with the shell. JD

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: oil change

JD said:
Bought two, 4 quart containers today at Wal-Mart. Shifts smoother and I too noticed that the acceleration seems smoother and faster....maybe just my imagination.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Amsoil

I use amsoil myself in everything I own including heavy equipment. I have been using 20w50 motorcycle synthetic for around ten years and ride my bike harder than anyone I have ever talked to without a problem. Ron

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is 5-40 ok?

I thought the specs call for 15w-50..correct?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Is 5-40 ok?

elkk said:
I thought the specs call for 15w-50..correct?
Actually, no. Honda spec is 10w-40.

·
Chard Member
13,050 Posts
The Owners Manual tells you the recommended range is 10/30 to 20/50. Honda's recommendation is 10/40!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Then 5w-40 is not a good idea :?: Does Shell make 10w-40 or 15w-40? Just curious if it is ok to use 5w-40.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Don, help me here to make sure I'm not lying to everyone ;)

But I think Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle is the same product as their 10w40, and the heavy duty is available in gallons.

·
Registered
441 Posts
elkk said:
Then 5w-40 is not a good idea :?: Does Shell make 10w-40 or 15w-40? Just curious if it is ok to use 5w-40.
Why not? What's wrong with 5w-40?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Mr Ed.
I just called tech services and yes the AMO and the AMF are in fact the same product. The tech data sheets on the two oil's are not updated on the web site so they are different.
If you want to save money on packaging then you can buy the AMO in gallon jugs.

Preferred customer cost of the AMF is $4.55qt
Preferred customer cost of AMO 1 gal is $18.15 ($18.15 div 4qt = $4.53)

If you buy a case of 4 / 1gal jugs AMO04 then it's $69.20 or $17.30 a jug.

Buy whole case's is the most economical.
Don

·
Registered
231 Posts
Synthetic?

Hi gang,
While we're on the subject, I used the Pro Honda HP4 for the first oil change I did on my '02. Is the Honda oil synthetic or dino based? I am all for saving some money by using the Mobile or ?. but was told by an old auto guy that you connot use synthetic after you started with petroleum without a complete engine flush. Now I am really confused. (maybe it's just pre-alzheimer's)
Thanks for all your great info.
Hawk and LadyHawk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts