GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Gl1800 and I have almost put in 4 quarts of oil and I change the oil filter and still the dip stick is only showing at the very tip. How should it read and how many quarts do you use with a change of an oil filter?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have a 2008 Gl1800 and I have almost put in 4 quarts of oil and I change the oil filter and still the dip stick is only showing at the very tip. How should it read and how many quarts do you use with a change of an oil filter?
The service manual calls for 3.9 quarts of oil with filter change. That is what I put in. I have found that if I follow the owner's manual for checking the oil that it doesn't register up on the stick in the time suggested. However, if I wait for 15-20 minutes, it registers fine.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

I pour in the entire 4 quarts and am done with it. I check the oil level at 4,000 miles on my way to the 8k recommended change, and my 05 never uses any... oil still looks good! :thumbup:

The service manual calls for 3.9 quarts of oil with filter change. That is what I put in. I have found that if I follow the owner's manual for checking the oil that it doesn't register up on the stick in the time suggested. However, if I wait for 15-20 minutes, it registers fine.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have seen on many 1800s, that if you turn the dip stick counter clock wise when you set it in the fill hole, it will set in the correct position. If you just set it in, it might get held up on one of the plastic threads. This gives a false reading by holding the stick out of the hole and showing a low oil level.
On my wing I set the turning tab at the 6 and 12 oclock position, then turn it 180 drgrees (counter clock wise) and feel it fall into the fill hole and then check the oil level.
-try placing the stick in (turning tab at 6 & 12) and pull it straight out check the level....
-turn the stick 180 degrees and dip it again
do you get two different readings?
I do on my wing and I have seen many others that do the same.
This is my observation, you may find something different

·
Registered
345 Posts

I am a new wing owner, and I was going nuts with this same issue of putting in the oil and not getting the right reading. Its the dip stick and how it sits in the hole that does it, that and after you run it to fill the filter and all that stuff. The time they give I found is a little to short, give it a extra few minutes...then check it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen on many 1800s, that if you turn the dip stick counter clock wise when you set it in the fill hole, it will set in the correct position. If you just set it in, it might get held up on one of the plastic threads. This gives a false reading by holding the stick out of the hole and showing a low oil level.
On my wing I set the turning tab at the 6 and 12 oclock position, then turn it 180 drgrees (counter clock wise) and feel it fall into the fill hole and then check the oil level.
-try placing the stick in (turning tab at 6 & 12) and pull it straight out check the level....
-turn the stick 180 degrees and dip it again
do you get two different readings?
I do on my wing and I have seen many others that do the same.
This is my observation, you may find something different
I found the same thing with mine. I don't know why that is? Yet, I put almost 4 quarts in and I think I am good. The dip stick is reading right now after 20 mins. and depending on how I turn the tab and stick it in. Thanks, so much for all your help and advice. This forum is the best! I am so glad I bought a Goldwing! I am 41 years old and my wife and I just love the bike. I moved from a sport bike to the GW and my friends are saying I am nuts, but they haven't experienced the smoothness and power of the almighty GW. It's the best bike to tour long distance hands down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts