GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys do??

I store the bike in a heated garage for the winter. My last change was 9/25/13 I now have 4,000 plus on that change. My oil of choice is the Honda semi synthetic no moly and Honda filter.

So with being stored in a heated garage am I correct in thinking that moisture is a non issue and it should be fine to a normal 8k change out??

Years ago it would get changed when put away and changed when brought back out. However that was in a cold storage space. I was always told that moisture could build up so I followed that rule. Maybe a waist, but that is what I followed.

I know oil and filter choices are many, but just wondering what you guys are doing??

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Just run it.

You got another 4000 miles per Honda's directive in the owners manual.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
Just wondering what you guys do??

I store the bike in a heated garage for the winter. My last change was 9/25/13 I now have 4,000 plus on that change. My oil of choice is the Honda semi synthetic no moly and Honda filter.

So with being stored in a heated garage am I correct in thinking that moisture is a non issue and it should be fine to a normal 8k change out??

Years ago it would get changed when put away and changed when brought back out. However that was in a cold storage space. I was always told that moisture could build up so I followed that rule. Maybe a waist, but that is what I followed.

I know oil and filter choices are many, but just wondering what you guys are doing??
I usually change mine around mid-February and then not till early May or late April if I am lucky. Right now I am around 600 miles away from next change.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I agree John with above statements to run it .

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys!!

I feel the same way and will run it. Just wanted to reinforce my thought, but I think the heated garage makes the difference!!

I did have a thought that if it should be changed I would see if Curtis would do it on the 6th when he puts on those beautiful Avons that came from Bulldog :lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I did have a thought that if it should be changed I would see if Curtis would do it on the 6th when he puts on those beautiful Avons that came from Bulldog :lol::lol:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . :tongue:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Run it, till the tranny falls out the bottom!:thumbup:

Omit that last part.:oops:

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Thanks for the input guys!!

I feel the same way and will run it. Just wanted to reinforce my thought, but I think the heated garage makes the difference!!

I'll slip a Kumho in there and you will never know it . . . .

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I'll slip a Kumho in there and you will never know it . . . .
Since Sarah does not ride with him anymore , this time could be the charm .

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since Sarah does not ride with him anymore , this time could be the charm .
But she might some day :shrug: I had to bring the Rukka gear in so she could wash it. Maybe just maybe some day,!

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
But she might some day :shrug: I had to bring the Rukka gear in so she could wash it. Maybe just maybe some day,!
She probably wants to clean for when I sell it for you guys .

·
Registered
52 Posts
In would change the oil on the last day of riding for the season. When the bike comes out of storage, you are good to go.
The acids are a problem with dirty oil sitting in the engine all winter long. Don't waste money changing it in the spring..

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
In would change the oil on the last day of riding for the season. When the bike comes out of storage, you are good to go.
The acids are a problem with dirty oil sitting in the engine all winter long. Don't waste money changing it in the spring..
Condensation in oil forming in engine and tranny over the winter months though ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts