GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know, how stupid can this question be; I realize the Honda service manual as well as the owners manual state 3.9 (4) quarts of oil on a change with filter, however, I just dumped 4 quarts in, ran the engine to check for leaks for about 5-10 minutes, then let it set for over two hours. Just for the hell of it I checked the dipstick and it just barely registers anything on the stick. Is this normal? I don't recall having this issue the last time I changed the oil. It seemed to show right up on the stick. And yes it's on the center stand.

Anyone else had erroneous stick readings, and what causes it?

Thanks gang.

·
Registered
330 Posts
With all due respect...did you screw it back in... then check it... or did you just dip and check? :roll:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
It does happen occasionally, start it up let it run and warm up, shut it down and check about 5 minutes later. It should be at the normal level then. By the way if you read the manual, it tells you NOT to screw the dip stick back in just seat it then read it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Did you let the new oil drain from the bottle(s) for awhile, or did you just do a quick dump because you knew that 3.9 qts was all that was needed?

Do you still have those bottles or the 1 gal. jug? See what you can get out of them. Let them drain into a measuring cup. 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's what the '06 Owners Manual says:

Page 156:
1. Park your motorcycle on its center stand on a firm, level surface.
2. Remove the right engine side cover (page 146).
3. Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes. Make sure the low oil
pressure indicator goes off. If the indicator remains on, stop the engine
immediately.
4. Stop the engine and wait 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick and wipe it clean.
6. Insert the oil filler cap/dipstick until it seats, but don’t screw it in.
7. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick and check the oil level.
---If the oil is at or near the upper level mark---you do not have to add oil.
---If the oil is below or near the lower level mark---add the recommended oil until it reaches the upper level mark. (Do not overfill.)
8. Reinstall the oil filler cap/dipstick.
9. Reinstall the right engine side cover.
10. Check for oil leaks.

You should not screw the dipstick in but you should be sure that the shaft of the dipstick rests down in the groove at the bottom of the threaded section. Otherwise, you will not get an accurate reading.

As long as the bike remains on the centerstand, it doesn't matter how long you wait to check, as long as it is at least 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I.M.Winginit said:
With all due respect...did you screw it back in... then check it... or did you just dip and check? :roll:
My 03 owners manual specificaly states not to screw the dip stick in.

Page 129 item 6: "insert the dip stick until it seats, but don't screw it in."

Van 8)

G

·
I think the dipstick hits at a steep tangent and even a few degrees off at an angle can make huge differences in the reading. What I have done is to place the dipstick on and only screw it it one thread worth. I have found that this causes the angle to be same every time and I get more reliable results. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The angle the dipstick goes in is very important, as stated above. However, it is also very important to assure that the dipstick is in the notch at the bottom of the threaded portion of the hole or the problem/reading is worse or less, indicating a lower oil reading than is actually the case.

I make sure the dipstick is in the notch/groove and that the bottom of the threaded portion of the dipstick is in the fill hole.

Jim

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
dsr said:
I think the dipstick hits at a steep tangent and even a few degrees off at an angle can make huge differences in the reading. What I have done is to place the dipstick on and only screw it it one thread worth. I have found that this causes the angle to be same every time and I get more reliable results. Just my .02 worth.
You can get the same effect by screwing it backwards until it "clicks" into position.

·
Premium Member
19,862 Posts
you are good to go-the clean oil is hard to see-and sometimes has to circulate just right to register on the stick

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I.M.Winginit said:

Well, according to the manual, you don't screw it in, you allow it to rest on the neck without screwing it in, correct?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wi_Winger said:
goldwinghen3 said:
Ok,,I will ask since no one else did........Did you put the drain plug back in ?
Ouch........now that hurt.
LOL..yeah drain plug in all nice n tight.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zaT111 said:
It does happen occasionally, start it up let it run and warm up, shut it down and check about 5 minutes later. It should be at the normal level then. By the way if you read the manual, it tells you NOT to screw the dip stick back in just seat it then read it.
Affirmative. That's what I did.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Shooters said:
I.M.Winginit said:

Well, according to the manual, you don't screw it in, you allow it to rest on the neck without screwing it in, correct?
Sorry did not mean to confuse anyone i did not imply to screw it in my manual also states not to screw it in just asking what his procedures were... :roll:

I should not :beer2: too much when i post... :beer8:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts