GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So usually when changing the oil, on anything really, you want the oil hot so it'll drain easier & more quickly.
But due to the weather the bike has been sitting & not cranked for 5 or 6 days. What would be wrong with just pulling the drains and let it sit for a bit. I mean, it was hot when it was parked & seems to me any oil that was gonna drain out of the upper parts of the engine to the 'pan' has done so already.

Thoughts please.

TM

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can't matter too much since the transmission doesn't fully drain anyway.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I always let mine sit for 30-40 min before I start draining it, much easier then when the oil is red hot.

·
Registered
17,033 Posts
The reason for draining with well warmed or hot oil is to drain while any very fine sediments are still suspended in the oil. Given Honda engine build quality, oil probably has minimal sediments anyway after the first change or two. I would not be too concerned about changing cold, it will be slow. If opportunity allows, I would feel more warm and fuzzy waiting to change after next ride.

prs

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have drained many vehicles cold. When you stop driving the oil settles in the pan so warming the oil is not going to bring out any more contaminants than are already sitting in the pan. Most like to drain warm/hot oil as it drains a bit quicker. I usually pull the plugs and let it drain until it stops dripping. I'm in no hurry and often do other things in the garage while it's draining.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I drain mine overnight. I get on the seat several times before going to bed and jump up and down on the shocks. After putting it back on the stand and kneeling down next to the bike to see the underneath, I see a another steady "thread" of oil streaming out of the hole each and every time.

Reactions: DBohrer and Art H.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't like changing oil hot since I did it once too hot and that was painful. I dont care if I get every last drop out, so cold I let it drain until the stream turns to drips (10 minutes). As far as every last drop here's some math (GL1800B):
Honda tells me oil capacity after disassembly is 4.4L
Honda tells me oil capacity after draining is 3.5L. note Honda tells me I dont need to change filter every time.

4.4 - 3.5 is .9 L or almost a US Quart

So basically on any oil change you are leaving about 20% of the oil in the engine so the few drips and drops are inconsequential.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,071 Posts
I don't like changing oil hot since I did it once too hot and that was painful. I dont care if I get every last drop out, so cold I let it drain until the stream turns to drips (10 minutes). As far as every last drop here's some math (GL1800B):
Honda tells me oil capacity after draining is 3.5L. note Honda tells me I dont need to change filter every time.

So basically on any oil change you are leaving about 20% of the oil in the engine so the few drips and drops are inconsequential.
Stop that with reason and logic and math. You make the rest of us look bad!

Reactions: OldAge

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
I drop the oil, and relax while it drains, (cold or hot) ...Check out the rest of the bike, rotate the tires and check for nails, or any other problems.....I don't believe it really matters, hot or cold, except maybe the flow times, it may be faster if hot, BUT five extra minute to drop it all doesn't make a difference too me.....AS I CHANGE IT SO OFTEN, I know there's no 💩 💩 💩 floating around in my engine anyways..

Ronnie

·
Registered
65 Posts
I always drain my oil warm, do not like the HOT oil burning my fingers! Warm oil drains a little quicker than cold oil. A friend used to drain his oil cold until one day while he was on a phone call, waiting for the oil to drain, his other half drove off in the car! She did not know he was working on it as the hood was down. She did notice the oil pressure light and returned home quickly, so no major damage done. He now drains warm oil and leaves the hood up, just in case. I tell my wife when I work on anything, with instructions to leave it alone until I say otherwise.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I drop the oil, and relax while it drains, (cold or hot) ...Check out the rest of the bike, rotate the tires and check for nails, or any other problems.....I don't believe it really matters, hot or cold, except maybe the flow times, it may be faster if hot, BUT five extra minute to drop it all doesn't make a difference too me.....AS I CHANGE IT SO OFTEN, I know there's no 💩 💩 💩 floating around in my engine anyways..

Ronnie
Rotate the tires? No thanks, I'll keep the front tire on the front, and the rear on the rear...

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,071 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts

So basically on any oil change you are leaving about 20% of the oil in the engine so e few drips and drops are inconsequential.
What's the point of changing the oil if your not gonna change the filter

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
What's the point of changing the oil if your not gonna change the filter
There might be an argument about the viscosity in the oil breaking down before enough debris is trapped in filter to warrant a fresh filter.

Not sure I buy the argument either -- but that's the way Honda has it in the schedule for 2018's.

Oil and both filters a 4000 miles,
then oil at every 8000 miles (or once per year minimum)
and both filters every 16000 miles.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts