GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I always leave a little of the old oil in the new oil as it helps season the new oil a little... helps with flavor and...

... wait, that's my chicken frier.... you guys mean motorcycle oil .... :oops:

..... we're talking about motorcycle oil AGAIN???? ..... o_O:sick:

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Why not let it warm up 5 minutes & then drain?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Why pump it up into the engine then wait for it to drain back down? It was hot when cut-off. It's had a week to drain back down. If I pull the plugs tonight & refill it tomorrow , what's the difference??

·
Registered
665 Posts
One more question pls. Bike on side stand or center stand??
Many of the models have no centrestand, For checking oil, the bike should be level. For changing the oil I just put in the required amount and dont check the level. Periodically I measure how much drained out.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I dont know but Honda R&D has a budget of 7.4 Billion US dollars and about 10,000 employees so I am guessing that they might know. Honestly, I just blindly follow the maintenance schedule.
Geez..... what a fool!!!....... :ROFLMAO: (me too... )

Many of the models have no centrestand, For checking oil, the bike should be level. For changing the oil I just put in the required amount and dont check the level. Periodically I measure how much drained out.
Ya'know... I don't think I've EVER seen a mechanic do that... but, I do make the nurses do that all the time.... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Rotate the tires? No thanks, I'll keep the front tire on the front, and the rear on the rear...
Oppps when I said rotate tires I ment spin them and check for any nails/screw in tires... bald spots, missing rubber, cracks in tire/on the sides.....tread depths.............Sorry! Actually that will keep me drinking a beer long'rr..... LOL

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
So usually when changing the oil, on anything really, you want the oil hot so it'll drain easier & more quickly.
But due to the weather the bike has been sitting & not cranked for 5 or 6 days. What would be wrong with just pulling the drains and let it sit for a bit. I mean, it was hot when it was parked & seems to me any oil that was gonna drain out of the upper parts of the engine to the 'pan' has done so already.

Thoughts please.

TM
To carry out contaminates, manufactures want the oil to rush out as fast as possible. So the hotter the better. Once the oil is hot and draining, if needed, it is ok to drain overnight.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Oppps when I said rotate tires I ment spin them and check for any nails/screw in tires... bald spots, missing rubber, cracks in tire/on the sides.....tread depths.............Sorry! Actually that will keep me drinking a beer long'rr..... LOL
I thought you might get a kick outta this...:)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I drain my oil either 10 mins or so after a ride, or if the engine's cold, I'll start it and let it idle for 3 or 4 mins, then drain...it seems to drain faster when it's warm...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just watched Fred's oil change video and noticed he has the bike on the center stand. Just sayin' . . . . .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not gonna get into the hot oil, cold oil debate but a number of people have commented on letting the oil drain for half an hour to overnight. Can't see any issues with that except....

If you are the "ONLY" one that would start, or move, your bike you can most likely skip this suggestion.

I have a blank key that I put into the ignition anytime I work on something. That keeps anyone from starting an engine that may be void of oil, or have something loose or missing. Not to mention something loose with the wheels or suspension.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Not gonna get into the hot oil, cold oil debate but a number of people have commented on letting the oil drain for half an hour to overnight. Can't see any issues with that except....

If you are the "ONLY" one that would start, or move, your bike you can most likely skip this suggestion.

I have a blank key that I put into the ignition anytime I work on something. That keeps anyone from starting an engine that may be void of oil, or have something loose or missing. Not to mention something loose with the wheels or suspension.
Dont use a key for mine.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I put a note, where the key goes, to remind me not to start (reminder to self................... Don't start motor /NO OIL in engine...............
Maybe twenty five ++ years ago, I did open oil plug (on my Suzuki 250 ) and let it drain for the night............. I got a call to go on a ride the next morning, (I got so excited) that I forgot that I drained the oil ... and not replaced it yet .............I started the bike to let it warm up, and walked away while it was warming up, to get my jacket and helmet and maybe 10 minute(ish) later came back to find my engine was trashed... That was an expensive mistake for sure...... So before I even start my oil change (ever since) on the key area goes a taped on note DO NOT START / NO OIL
just a suggestion to all of you, don't do what I did!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I put a note, where the key goes, to remind me not to start (reminder to self................... Don't start motor /NO OIL in engine...............
Maybe twenty five ++ years ago, I did open oil plug (on my Suzuki 250 ) and let it drain for the night............. I got a call to go on a ride the next morning, (I got so excited) that I forgot that I drained the oil ... and not replaced it yet .............I started the bike to let it warm up, and walked away while it was warming up, to get my jacket and helmet and maybe 10 minute(ish) later came back to find my engine was trashed... That was an expensive mistake for sure...... So before I even start my oil change (ever since) on the key area goes a taped on note DO NOT START / NO OIL
just a suggestion to all of you, don't do what I did!

Ronnie

Allen would have mocked you mecilessly if he had known your Suzuki f-up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
"To carry out contaminates, manufactures want the oil to rush out as fast as possible. So the hotter the better. Once the oil is hot and draining, if needed, it is ok to drain overnight."

Wont matter a bit, It will just take longer to leave the engine if cold. The motor oil is made to suspend the contaminates within the oil they do not need to "rush out" they just need to get out. :)

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,085 Posts
"To carry out contaminates, manufactures want the oil to rush out as fast as possible. So the hotter the better. Once the oil is hot and draining, if needed, it is ok to drain overnight."

Wont matter a bit, It will just take longer to leave the engine if cold. The motor oil is made to suspend the contaminates within the oil they do not need to "rush out" they just need to get out. :)
Only if the density of the oil and it's cohesive properties are high enough to overcome the particles. Otherwise they will settle out. In much the same way that gold and other metals settle out from running water.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts