GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to prime the filter when you change the oil.
I got a bit of rattle until the oil pressure picked up when i changed the oil the other day. Since the oil filter is horizontal, i thought i would try and fill it about 1/2 way before installing it next time.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
JD,

You can't get half in without making a mess.

You can hold the filter in the same position as it would be, putting it on the bike. Squirt oil in it out of a squirt can till it starts to dribble out.

I really don't think that this caution is necessary. Just when you start it, don't rev it it till you can feel the filter getting warm to the touch.

Many vehicles are designed for the horizontal filter and you can't put oil in it without turning your oil change into a nightmare.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I put enough oil in my filter to be absorbed by the filter media (fill it about 1/4 way, then roll the filter around) nothing leaks out during install and you have that much less to fill by oil pressure.

The filters in my other vehicles I pre-fill as much as I can (once again letting the filter media absorb, then refill) since they are vertical mounted.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
So does the oil pump have to fill the filter before it supplies the engine?

If not......then the engine is getting oil just fine while the filter is filling.

Just an idea, and probably a goofy one......or else you cats wouldn't be pouring oil in the filter before screwing onto the engine???

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have always put the dry filter on and once the engine is filled with oil I just start the motor. I then let it idle until the red oil light comes on then I blip the throttle a few times and then shut the bike off.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I hoist up my bike till it's 90° perpendicular to the garage floor (nose down). No mess at all! What sucks is that I have to lower the wing to put the rest of the oil in! :lol:

Am I bored or what?

Bartman

·
Registered
703 Posts
steve s said:
So does the oil pump have to fill the filter before it supplies the engine?

If not......then the engine is getting oil just fine while the filter is filling.

Just an idea, and probably a goofy one......or else you cats wouldn't be pouring oil in the filter before screwing onto the engine???
As the filter is filling, there is little pressure. It is pressure that places a very thin layer of oil between the rod bearing and other components in the engine. Running synthetic oil will help reduce the wear on the engine during that 5 seconds as oil pressure increases.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always fill the filter before putting it on, if you do it fast enough you lose very little oil. Running an engine without oil is one of the ways they wear out, the noise you hear is unlubed metal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts