GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to goldwings. Went today to test ride a 2012 with Nav, ABS, XM and wanted to buy it but after inspecting underneath the bike I see what looks like some type of leak. Is this from an oil change residue or from a more serious leak somewhere else?

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm new to goldwings. Went today to test ride a 2012 with Nav, ABS, XM and wanted to buy it but after inspecting underneath the bike I see what looks like some type of leak. Is this from an oil change residue or from a more serious leak somewhere else?
All that looks like to me is how the underside of many bikes might appear after a seller does a bit of a clean on it to make it look better to sell it. Whenever I clean a bike there comes a point where I say eff-it, that's good enough. Especially considering this is the underside which isn't on display, so cleaning that area is last on my list.
Is the oil really new? Sometimes when I drain oil the outlet into the drain pan is close enough that some splatter makes it back onto the bike, so that when I wipe that off it leaves a thin sheen like I see in your picture. So perhaps that's it, if the owner gave it a recent oil change pre-sale.
That's my take on the picture, fwiw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All that looks like to me is how the underside of many bikes might appear after a seller does a bit of a clean on it to make it look better to sell it. Whenever I clean a bike there comes a point where I say eff-it, that's good enough. Especially considering this is the underside which isn't on display, so cleaning that area is last on my list.
Is the oil really new? Sometimes when I drain oil the outlet into the drain pan is close enough that some splatter makes it back onto the bike, so that when I wipe that off it leaves a thin sheen like I see in your picture. So perhaps that's it, if the owner gave it a recent oil change pre-sale.
That's my take on the picture, fwiw.
Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looks like a thin film of oil only on the right side of the case. Get some degreaser, spray it good, let it sit for about ten minutes then wash it off. If so, see if it returns and from which direction. If not it may be stained.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Looks like a thin film of oil only on the right side of the case. Get some degreaser, spray it good, let it sit for about ten minutes then wash it off. If so, see if it returns and from which direction. If not it may be stained.

Brake Clean would be my choice.:smile2:

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
It's a bike he was test riding.

Owner may not permit anything to be sprayed on it?

If it was parked in it's 'normal spot' when he went to see it, the floor might be a good indication.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts