GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK just changed my oil and ran into an issue with my Torque wrench........it's too big to get in there, I have the "large" variety wrench.

What Torque wrench does everyone use to do this and where can I buy one small enough to fit in that space? I had a hell of a time just getting a ratchet in there and my 1/2 inch drive torque wrench sure as heck won't fit, even with a swivel I can't turn the wrench, so it's got to smaller in length.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Twist your thumb clockwise 1/2 turn, tighten the bolt til it feels snug, say cl-click and go riding. You are too worried about too small a problem. Did you change your cru..... no nevermind...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I use the blonde torque wrench.. tighten it up til it strips, then back it out half a turn!
:joke::joke:

=Dave=

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Harbor Freight's 3/8 torque wrench will fit.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
OK just changed my oil and ran into an issue with my Torque wrench........it's too big to get in there, I have the "large" variety wrench.

What Torque wrench does everyone use to do this and where can I buy one small enough to fit in that space? I had a hell of a time just getting a ratchet in there and my 1/2 inch drive torque wrench sure as heck won't fit, even with a swivel I can't turn the wrench, so it's got to smaller in length.
Some folks claim that the manual is wrong for telling you to remove the lower front cowling for an oil change but tool access is one reason why the procedure is what it is. I always remove the lower front cowl just so I can get my big hands up in there without losing a lot of skin in the process.

Once you get the hang of it removing that cowling it takes all of about five minutes to get off. Seven to get it back on. Well worth the trouble in my opinion.

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
Oil filter hand tight
then a uhh partial 1/4th turn

·
Registered
939 Posts
Use a 17mm open-end wrench and go ride.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I don't believe many members of the Mensa society have participated in this thread yet :eek:4:. If you don't know what the Mensa society is :shrug: don't bother asking :roll: :wrong: :nojoke:.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
If they belong to the Mensa society, they would not be changing their own oil in any event. They would figure out how to get someone else to do it. :lol:

I never use a torque wrench on repeat maintenance items. Just bump the wrench with the palm of your hand, snug and a little tight. It is not going to fall out.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Menstrual maybe?:lol:
Congratulations Sir :thumbup:. You are a normal male :nojoke:. Your name has been entered in a Mensa Society contest where the prize is either a toaster or battery operated vibrator :joke::joke::joke::joke::lol:.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I use my calibrated arm. When my elbow 'pops' I know it's tight enough.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
If they belong to the Mensa society, they would not be changing their own oil in any event. They would figure out how to get someone else to do it. :lol:
Ain't that the truth :thumbup:

I never use a torque wrench on repeat maintenance items. Just bump the wrench with the palm of your hand, snug and a little tight. It is not going to fall out.
My uncles on my father's side owned the largest plumbing company in upstate New York :nojoke:. I think they stripped most of the threads they ever worked on and charged their customers to fix them. Probably why they all passed on as wealthy plumbers :wrong: .
Sorry Kit I must tell the truth :22yikes::lol:.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts