GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our used 2003 trike later in the year (late August) I changed the oil & we only put 1100 miles on it before winter hit, stored in a heated garage all winter, do I change the oil now or wait?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
To late for this but I would suggest changing the oil in the Fall before storage......then just run it enough to circulate the oil and shut it down.
New oil in the bike all Winter and you're ready to go in the Spring.

No used dirty oil sitting in the bike crankcase all Winter........even if it has only 1K miles on it.
In your case I would change it also.

JMHO...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wouldn’t change it. But I doubt I’d be looking at keeping it for more than 50,000 miles or 5 years, M/L. That’s just my track record.
Here comes another oil thread...ugh.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Honda says change oil before storing AND after storage of 4 months. I do a yearly change before storage and that's it. If you are going to do a yearly change (<8000 miles) may as well do it now.

G.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I would change the oil and filter. Cheap insurance. I don't spend $50 on an oil change. Rotella 15W-40 and a ST 6607 filter from Walmart. No oil failures since I started riding Gold Wings in 1989.

·
Registered
531 Posts
We bought our used 2003 trike later in the year (late August) I changed the oil & we only put 1100 miles on it before winter hit, stored in a heated garage all winter, do I change the oil now or wait?
I wouldn't change it. Why? It doesn't go bad sitting there. If there is/was any moisture in there it will evaporate off quickly on the first ride. Seems everybody is obsessive about oil changes. It's one of the last things I would worry about on engines that typically run long enough to outlive me.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Change at normal interval of your choice. I like 5000 miles, easy to remember and plenty often enough, too often really. I never subscribed to the worry of acid eating the gears or whatever the worry is of used oil that sits. Project Farm on youtube does a lot of very useful tests, comparisons ect. A couple months back he did a test of old used oil in a Cummins diesel and found the old oil at a couple years old with a couple thousand miles had no issue and was good as new. No surprise for me. I sent in a 15yr old sample of oil to Blackstone that had a few hundred miles on it and it came back good as new. A lot of myths out there that persist year after year, and the oil myths continue.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I wouldn't change it. Why? It doesn't go bad sitting there. If there is/was any moisture in there it will evaporate off quickly on the first ride. Seems everybody is obsessive about oil changes. It's one of the last things I would worry about on engines that typically run long enough to outlive me.
Exactly! Change it when you get near the change interval. Otherwise, you're dumping good oil with life left. Some of us have multiple vehicles and changing oil is just cost prohibitive. You should be fine.

Run Seafoam in your gas tank every six months and add 1.5 ounces to your engine crankcase for good measure. That's my plan.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
No need to change it IMO.

If you were going to change it, I'd have done it before storage, not after.

Having said that, I have several bikes in the garage. Sometimes I don't ride one for a few months. I'd be changing oil a dozen times a year if I changed every time a bike had sat for a few months.

My Goldwing has never had a seasonal change and is doing fine. My guess is that the majority of bikes out there don't get seasonal changes and they are fine as well.

Now...if I was going to store for a year or two....then yeah, I'd probably change it...but 3-4 months....nope.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Exactly! Change it when you get near the change interval. Otherwise, you're dumping good oil with life left. Some of us have multiple vehicles and changing oil is just cost prohibitive. You should be fine.

Run Seafoam in your gas tank every six months and add 1.5 ounces to your engine crankcase for good measure. That's my plan.
I will never add SeaFoam to any engine oil, regardless what the can says. Fuel tank, ok perhaps in moderation.
Just my opinion. And Honda's, also almost any/all engine manufacturers.

·
Vendor
16,014 Posts
Your correct answer is found in your Owner's Manual. The path is Owner's Manual > index > storage > motorcycle

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Your correct answer is found in your Owner's Manual. The path is Owner's Manual > index > storage > motorcycle
Even though I am a oil/filter changer (way too frequently) I have to agree with Gregg here..BUT I have to admit that I change my oil almost everytime I go on an extra long bike trip 1,000 miles or more.. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over, that new clean oil is circulating through out my engine.... [I did replace with new oil B4 putting her away for the winter season]

Ronnie

Your going to receive 100 different recommendations here asking about oil, I'd have to say just do what makes you feel better.....ME: Many frequent changes makes me feel better, with a $28,000 motorcycle and another $10,000 for a trike kit, you can be sure that I'm not going to scrimp on a oil replacement ..... I purchase all my OEM oil filters on line, as well as my oil so I do get it cheaper then going to a dealer to get it serviced.......May your bike investment last you a very long time!!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have an 04 Wing with Trike kit and have 100,000 mi on her after last summer. We have the oil changed about every 7,000 to 8,000 miles. If it has maybe 5,000 mi on it in the spring then I would consider changing it so I didn’t have to stop during riding season to have it done. With 1,100mi I would not worry. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will get lots of suggestions.............

I changed the oil and filter on my GL1500 every 8,000 miles. Not necessarily in the fall or spring, just every 8,000 miles.

At 222,905 miles, it has never complained and zero engine issues.

Based on experience, I would recommend wait and change later.

Note: No difference in the GL1500 and GL1800 engines (regarding oil changes). Yes, I know there are other differences...!!!

Don't fall for "scare" tactics.....!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. It was on your mind enough that you felt you needed to ask, change it. If you can afford it, change it? If you can easily do it yourself, change it.New oil isn't going to hurt anything, and you can absolutely feel confident your decision won't do any harm. That's the emotional answer. I try to tell myself to use this same advice when it comes to tires, brakes, etc. If I am concerned about it enough, if I question my judgement on whether something should be changed enough that I feel I need to ask, I should change it.

If you're looking for a technical answer, maybe you don't have experience with bikes, read the responses given, go with what you're comfortable with, and what you can feel confident won't cause a mechanical failure on your bike. Me, I use Rotella T6 Full-Synthetic, and I change the oil and filter at 5000 mile intervals. However, I am planning a 2000 mile trip with less than 3000 miles on my current oil, I know it should be perfectly fine to go with what I got. But I can change my own oil for less than $30, so I'm gonna change the oil and filter for my own peace of mind.

So in summary, your question is not just a technical question, the technical part of your question can be reduced to pretty much black and white, on the emotional part, do what you can afford and are physically able to do, do what will make you the most comfortable and ease or eliminate your concerns. I didn't see many people addressing the emotional side of your question, so I thought I would throw this out there.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Last time I checked, the owners and service manuals were based on "technical specifications" not "emotional feelings".

I trust Honda's recommendations more than some "self appointed" engineer regarding oil and filter change intervals..

If folks choose to "over maintain" with no gain, who am I to judge, its their money being wasted "not mine"....!!

I prefer having the money in my pocket (not some other pocket).

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Emotional feelings I totally believe, in this, If I'm riding and "something" does not feel right in my mind, then I'm not a "happy rider".................... SO YES, I do change oil with filter way too often, BUT I then know , it's been done, and I can't believe that over changing anything on a $28,000 machine is a bad thing.....Plus this will get you closer to your bike if you do your own service..
I also like to change anti freeze with the Honda's 50/50 blend.... every season...and I also replace the rear 80/90 weight gear oil, before every season starts also..........

Ronnie

·
Registered
117 Posts
... I have to agree with Gregg here....
I am recently new to this forum, and may be misinterpreting. Gregg mentions following the service intervals in the manual and I am assuming that means all service intervals, however you mention you change oil (and filter?) before every long trip; filter yearly, coolant yearly and final drive yearly and in my manual these are not the service intervals so don't you mean you completely disagree with Gregg?

G.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts