GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I am recently new to this forum, and may be misinterpreting. Gregg mentions following the service intervals in the manual and I am assuming that means all service intervals, however you mention you change oil (and filter?) before every long trip; filter yearly, coolant yearly and final drive yearly and in my manual these are not the service intervals so don't you mean you completely disagree with Gregg?

G.
Gulp! Good question here: I agree with Gregg 100% of the time, that's why I do replace all fluids, BUT I never let my bike's "refills" go the limit... (meaning: the books reads 8,000 miles B4 an oil change, I will never go beyond the 3,000 mileage, I change out everything way b4 what the books reads..... rear gear fluid, gets changed every oil change, anti freeze fluid b4 every riding season..In short I guess what I'm saying here, is that I never go the full limit, always B4 it's really due............ All my cars are the same way, as well as my service trucks when I was in the heating/plumbing business.... I keep a running list and mileage of every, repair , fluid change, OR anything I have done to my vehicles.....Always way B4 it's due....I'm lucky enough to have a garage to work in with much of the tools that I need to service my own vehicles....Just yesterday I jacked up my trike, and shot a couple of pumps of moly grease into the the two grease zerks fittings, again b4 i start to ride....life is good!

Ronnie

·
Registered
531 Posts
Emotional feelings I totally believe, in this, If I'm riding and "something" does not feel right in my mind, then I'm not a "happy rider".................... SO YES, I do change oil with filter way too often, BUT I then know , it's been done, and I can't believe that over changing anything on a $28,000 machine is a bad thing.....Plus this will get you closer to your bike if you do your own service..
I also like to change anti freeze with the Honda's 50/50 blend.... every season...and I also replace the rear 80/90 weight gear oil, before every season starts also..........

Ronnie
If it makes you "feel good" that's great, I guess. But it's not doing the $28k machine any extra good than doing it per the maintainence schedule. It's just wasting (your) money and general resources. But, it's yours (money and bike) to do what you wish. Regardless, it's not really of any benefit to suggest others follow such program. Relax more..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It's just wasting (your) money and general resources.

Jettawreck, Obviously, some folks don't care about "wasting resources"..!

Waste not...want not....!!!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Heck! I change out the oil in my lawn mower twice a season as well..............
Hi my name is Ronnie and I'm an oil/changingaholic
I just replaced the oil, air filter, and spark plug in my snow blower as well yesterday, B4 putting it away for the season.(hopefully it won't snow anymore)

Ronnie

·
Registered
531 Posts
Change oil in the push lawn mower?? The old Craftsman mower starts right up every spring with several pushes on the primer plunger and still runs great for various small trimming duties. Don't think in 20+ years it's ever had an oil change. The Ariens V-twin Zero turn mower gets a routine oil change (I think it has a filter too) every couple seasons. The wife runs the heck out of it. I just never think about it. Change blades on it more often than the oil. It doesn't seem to mind....

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
The change interval that was correct for the '50's, 60's or '70's manufacturing methods and lubricating oil capabilities is the incorrect interval for today's manufacturing methods and today's lubricant capabilities.

Feel free to ignore the science if it gives you a warm fuzzy.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The change interval that was correct for the '50's, 60's or '70's manufacturing methods and lubricating oil capabilities is the correct interval for today's manufacturing methods and today's lubricant capabilities.

Feel free to ignore the science if it gives you a warm fuzzy.
I think you need to edit/reword the second line of that first sentence to get the point I think you intended to make.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oil threads are as fascinating as toilet paper purchasing trends during a pandemic.

A couple of thoughts, for whatever it is worth (not much):
1. Honda offers up to 8 years of warranty coverage with unlimited mileage on these bikes for about $600 (cost of extended warranty). With that extended warranty, the recommended oil change interval stays at 8000 miles. Apparently, Mother Honda is comfortable with the proposition of covering a 7 year old bike with 96,000 miles on it that has only had 12 oil changes, for only 600 bucks.

2. I did an experiment on my 2013 Subaru. At 70,000 miles, I put a Mobil 1 oil filter on it (claimed to be good for 1 year/20k). At 80,000 miles, I changed the oil only. At 90,000 miles, I changed the oil and filter, and sent a small sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. The result? My engine is wearing LESS than average (average being their database of that engine, with owners changing oil at 6300 miles) for the miles on it. No water or fuel present, and maintained full viscosity. I could probably that old oil back into the car!

So, change the oil if you want, knowing if you do not want to, you do not have to and it will be fine. In fact, never change the oil. It will probably be fine doing that too.

Changing oil at 3000 miles or 30,000 miles is probably gonna result in the same thing - years of trouble-free great riding on a GW.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Ouch! My name is Ronnie and I am an [oil/filter] changeholic ...............I change [oil/filter] in everything that I own, including lawn mowers, snow blower, cars, service trucks,motorcycles etc.etc.
If it's got oil in it , I change it constantly............. If I'm going on a VERY long trip on my bike (I don't care what I have for mileage before the trip) it gets replaced B4 I leave.....I have a bad feeling,in my gut that I'm abusing my motor if it does indeed have dirty oil inside....
I have a friend that rides a Honda valkyrie it's now over nine years old, and has never changed the rear gear fluid or engine oil....Aaaaaaaaaa that just gives me the creeps :eek::eek: Were going to the Americade again this year (nine yrs in a row now) and I'm sure he will not/has not replace the life line fluid

Ronnie

·
Love The DCT
11,378 Posts
If I'm going on a VERY long trip on my bike (I don't care what I have for mileage before the trip) it gets replaced B4 I leave.....
Let's see if I understand this. Assume you just changed oil and filter on your bike then went for a 50 mile ride. Two days later, you're leaving for a 3,000 trip. Before you go on that 3,000 mile trip, you would change out the filter and oil that only has 50 miles on it.

I have a bad feeling,in my gut that I'm abusing my motor if it does indeed have dirty oil inside....

Ronnie
At the rate you change oil, does the oil stay in long enough to even get dirty? :LOL:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Oil isn't "dirty" unless its way past the change interval or somehow was contaminated. Just because it isn't almost clear has nothing to do with its ability to do the intended job.
I'm assuming you would never be able to sleep owning a diesel and seeing what happens to that oil in a few miles.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Let's see if I understand this. Assume you just changed oil and filter on your bike then went for a 50 mile ride. Two days later, you're leaving for a 3,000 trip. Before you go on that 3,000 mile trip, you would change out the filter and oil that only has 50 miles on it.

At the rate you change oil, does the oil stay in long enough to even get dirty? :LOL:
Add a another zero to the 50 and I would change it (yes)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Change at normal interval of your choice. I like 5000 miles, easy to remember and plenty often enough, too often really. I never subscribed to the worry of acid eating the gears or whatever the worry is of used oil that sits. Project Farm on youtube does a lot of very useful tests, comparisons ect. A couple months back he did a test of old used oil in a Cummins diesel and found the old oil at a couple years old with a couple thousand miles had no issue and was good as new. No surprise for me. I sent in a 15yr old sample of oil to Blackstone that had a few hundred miles on it and it came back good as new. A lot of myths out there that persist year after year, and the oil myths continue.
Discussion should end with this post. Probably won't.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Yep, that's a sickness. You need therapy. Long rides with used oil.
Thanks for the smile :giggle: This was a "good comeback" (y) [it's always fun, to B able, to have a good joke with someone---love u all!]

Hey, with all this B/S going on with the Corona virus,lately and practicing social distancing, I had the chance to go out to my garage and give my left over oil container a big hug yesterday ..
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa it felt good to be close to something I love!!!!

LOL

Ronnie

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for the smile :giggle: This was a "good comeback" (y) [it's always fun, to B able, to have a good joke with someone---love u all!]

Hey, with all this B/S going on with the Corona virus,lately and practicing social distancing, I had the chance to go out to my garage and give my left over oil container a big hug yesterday ..
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa it felt good to be close to something I love!!!!

LOL

Ronnie
Yeah, it's all in fun for sure. Hey, I actually got tired of walking past my Wing out in the shed, knowing it's a while before I can get it out so, I finally broke down and fired it up (on "old oil" from last season) and let it get up to operating temp. First time since October and only plugged in the charger a couple times over winter. Sounded great and increased the temptation.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Yeah, it's all in fun for sure. Hey, I actually got tired of walking past my Wing out in the shed, knowing it's a while before I can get it out so, I finally broke down and fired it up (on "old oil" from last season) and let it get up to operating temp. First time since October and only plugged in the charger a couple times over winter. Sounded great and increased the temptation.
Oh O' Now you went and done it, your going to get the bug even more now................BUT WITH OLD LAST YEARS OIL 😵😈🤮 Aaaaaaaaaaaa your killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts