GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first oil change on the wing I bought last month. I found it odd that all the synthetic oils at my Honda dealership were all the same price. It was actually cheaper to buy a gallon jug of Amsoil that it was to buy the Honda stuff so I went with that. I will say, changing the oil on the wing is easier that on my VTX1800.
T.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I was at wally world over the weekend..
I was looking for bike oil and did not see any. I dont want to put anything in the wing that will mess up my clutch.
T.
It doesn't have to be motorcycle oil. As long as it meets the specs in the owners manual and does not have "Energy Conserving" listed on the round API seal on the back of the bottle, you are good to go. Some use dino oil; some use synthetic.

I have tried Honda's semi-synthetic; Shell Rotella T (15W40 dino oil) and Mobil 1 (10W40). So far I like the Mobil 1 best for this rough shifting beast.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was looking for bike oil and did not see any. I dont want to put anything in the wing that will mess up my clutch.
T.[/QUOTE] :agree:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was talking to a service tech and he told me that brands don't make much of a difference, but the oil should be labled MA. Can you find MA oil at walmart?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hmmm... I've never seen Amsoil at a dealership. It's usually sold through an independent dealer/individual. If they're a powersports dealer, I'm surprised they're allowed to sell it alongside Mother Honda's oil.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hmmm... I've never seen Amsoil at a dealership. It's usually sold through an independent dealer/individual. If they're a powersports dealer, I'm surprised they're allowed to sell it alongside Mother Honda's oil.
I have, there are several Honda dealerships that sell Amsoil............

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It doesn't have to be motorcycle oil. As long as it meets the specs in the owners manual and does not have "Energy Conserving" listed on the round API seal on the back of the bottle, you are good to go. Some use dino oil; some use synthetic.

I have tried Honda's semi-synthetic; Shell Rotella T (15W40 dino oil) and Mobil 1 (10W40). So far I like the Mobil 1 best for this rough shifting beast.
What Mobil 1 10W-40 are you referring to, the High Mileage?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I use Castrol ActEvo 10W40 "part synthetic" motorcycle oil. I get it at my local Cycle Gear store. Just bought a gallon jug for $23.95, which was less than buying 4 quarts for $5.99 a quart (sale price) It's labeled part synthetic, which means it is a blend of dino and synthetic oil, I guess. Anyway, I've been using it for several years and really like it. Bike shifts well with it. I stopped using Mobil1 when their synthetic motorcycle oil price went through the roof. My second oil of choice would be Shell Rotella T full synthetic. It works well, too.

BTW, I buy my oil filters mostly as a local Fred Meyer store--Purolator Pure One PL14610 for $7.95 a pop. I don't know where you would buy them if you don't have a Freddy's where you live. My other source is at Carquest auto parts store for about the same price.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts

What property is there in the "Energy Conserving" oils that make them unusable in the Goldwing?

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
The offending additive, when in excess, is moly or molybdenum disulphide. Moly is a great high pressure lube additive and I suspect it is present in most, if not all, motor oils, but EC oil is heavily doped with it and the concern is it is too good of a lube to allow proper clutch function.

I further suspect that many non EC oils would meet MA if so tested, but the oil makers could care less abut meeting a Japaneese standard for motorcycles, although Royal Dutch Shell did follow through with such testing based upon motorcyclist enthusiasm for Rotella 15-40 and 5-40.

prs

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ask Mobil 1

" In a motorcycle, where the transmission may be lubricated by the engine oil, an engine oil that does not have the same level of friction modification (for fuel economy) of a typical passenger car engine oil will provide better transmission performance in terms of transmission lock-up and slippage. So motorcycle engine oil does not contain the friction modifiers of a passenger car engine oil. The second area of concern for motorcycle engine oils is that they tend to shear (breakdown viscosity) more quickly than a typical passenger car. Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are designed to provide exceptional protection against viscosity loss."

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

Same experience here also. I did put some 20-50 i my VTX (very clunky trans) and it wa amazing how much it smoothed out the shifting. But I think the Mobil 1 10W40 is probably the best for the Wing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.