GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never changed the oil on my trike I got the impulse to do it. Watched the Cruiseman video a couple of time (Thanks Cruiseman)

Went to Wallyworld and got the necessary goodies. Laid down a plastic sheet on my garage floor.

Engine was hot so took off the front part of the belly pan, and with a 17mm socket drained the oil. Had a bit of a tussle removing the filter, but it came off and oil drained into the drain pan. I let it drain for about 20 minutes and replaced the filter. Even remembered to wet the seal with a finger tip of of oil as explained. Put a new crush washer on the bolt and could not find the 17mm socket. Looked everywhere.

Replaced the oil without spilling any.

So, I used a 17mm open end wrench. NOT THE SAME as using the 17mm socket. Could not get the torque with the open ended wrench.

Did not replace the belly pan as I was not sure if the bolt was sufficiently tight. I put down some newspapers and checked it a hour later and there were oil drops on the paper. Oh Crap. Looked for the 17mm socket and I could not find it. Put the drain pan under the engine and left it there overnight In the morning I found maybe 5 drops in the pan, but knew it was not right. Ran it to the dealership and a wrencher told me the bolt was finger tight. He tightened it, checked the oil filter. (that was good) and replaced the belly pan. No charge other than a $20.00 tip.

Now for the good part I took the old oil with only 6200 miles on it to dump it this morning at a friends car center. I was interested how clean/dirty the used oil was and it was very clean. I put some on my thump with a peice of newspaper between the thumb and the oil and could read the print on the paper.

Don't want to start a oil war, but this is regular 10W-40 non-synthetic oil and it did not look half-used.

BTW, I found the 17mm socket. Point of story is you need a socket to properly tighten the drain plug. A box end wrench will not work. Or, it did not for me.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I chalk those happenings to "Lifes lessons".

At least u did your own. :thumbup:

I don't have a belly pan, so changing oil and filter is some what easier.

·
Registered
737 Posts
"Don't want to start a oil war, but this is regular 10W-40 non-synthetic oil and it did not look half-used."

Well then you just arn't abusing that Wing enough!!! Get out there and thrash around on some twisties.... :doorag: :doorag:

Seriously, GL1800 engines are as good as it gets. They run so cool (relatively) and smooth that oil just doen't seem to be a real issue. Some of us hard headed owners still think we must put the high dollar stuff in but that's choice not requirement....

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
In a pinch the 17mm wrench in the bikes tool kit works nicely also.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gee a wrench seems to work fine for me. It's all I ever use
Brad
There is no room to turn a open-ended wrench on my bike. About all I could do is fit the wrench on the bolt. It would not turn more than a half-inch.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think that should be fine. I used to use 15w 50 Mobile 1 but on the last change used Rotella 15w 40. Even with out Syn, the change interval is 8,000 miles.

My operators manual has the following:
API Service Classification SG or higher
except oils labeled as energy conserving on
the circular API service label, SAE 10W-40,
JASO T 903 standardMA,
Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (without
molybdenum additives) 4-stroke oil (USA &
Canada) or Honda 4-stroke oil (Canada only),
or an equivalent motorcycle oil

Your 05 may require something different.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me too :shrug:

Mr. Patrick, If I bring a 17 mm open end wrench to Kerrville next year would you try to open or close the drain bolt on my trike. I have no room to move the wrench more than 1/2 inch at most.

·
Registered
29 Posts
oil change

:doorag:what is the walmart oil filter number for an 08 and newer the longer version. and what weight for mobil 1 or shell rotella synthetic would you suggest

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Mr. Patrick, If I bring a 17 mm open end wrench to Kerrville next year would you try to open or close the drain bolt on my trike. I have no room to move the wrench more than 1/2 inch at most.
Yepp: and I will bring mine. I know it works,,,,,:shrug:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
:doorag:what is the walmart oil filter number for an 08 and newer the longer version. and what weight for mobil 1 or shell rotella synthetic would you suggest
ST-7317, and Rotilla T-6 Syn, change at 10 to 12 K

If your going to change at less than the recommended 8 K miles ( a lot of folks change at 4 K ) stay with cheap Dino. It is a waist of good oil. JMO :shrug:

·
Registered
29 Posts
george what kind of cheap dino I have 8100.00 on it and and have honda synthetic in it now only 2 months or a little longer left for my riding season left.I have about 6000 hard hot miles on this oil texas,alabama tenn,kentucky pa.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.