GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Change the oil filter with the oil, now the frequency of the oil change, that can start an argument! :lol:

I used to go for 3,000 miles on petro oil, I now use synthetic Rotella T and change oil at 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm one of those whackos who actually takes Mother Honda at her word - can see no reason to change oil or filter at less than 8,000 miles.

In fact, since I'm using that super-high-quality oil (and filter) that whose initial is 'A', I'm doing 12K oil+ filter changes.

Been doing that on my 1500 for a couple of hundred thousand miles (247,000 on the odo), and doesn't sem to have caused any harm yet.

Oh yeah - tthe 1500 has one of those dreaded K&N filters, too, that I clean every 50K miles, whether it nees it or not.

Roy

·
Registered
561 Posts
I change the oil and filter every 100 yards. Nothing is too good for my baby!

OK, seriously, I use high quality oil and change it every 3,000 miles, but I haven't switched to synthetic yet because I haven't put enough miles on it for my comfort level of breaking in the engine. The next oil change I'll switch and probably go 5,000 - 6,000 between.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Jim Mathis said:
I change oil and filter between 4 and 5,000.
I will go along with the cowboy from Arizona. :s27: I dont trust oil companies. :?: Some times I feel like changing the oil every 99 yds I just love this machine so much. :excited: My brother travels to Arizona now and again,and he tells me thats where the real western state is, and they know what they are talking about. :yes:

:yes2: :rw1: :luck:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I change the oil filter at every oil change. Doesnt make much sense to me to run clean oil through a dirty filter. At least thats the way I look at it.

G

·
0 Posts
Since switching to synthetic I'm now going 6,000 miles between oil and filter changes. With dino oil my practice was to change both at 3,000 mile intervals.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Jeffery of Sarawak said:
We have heard of different comments on oil specs, brand etcetc... what about the oil filter change frequency??
This question assumes that there are people who don't change the filter every time the oil is changed.... there are people who actually don't change the filter every time??? :shock:

If I was that tight with money, then I'd at least use the SuperTech filter at Wal-Mart for $1.88. At least I'd be getting a clean filter every time.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
oil

I change at 4k intervals, and filter every time. JD :yw1:

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
I usually change both oil and filter sometime after 8000 miles. I always change the filter when doing a oil change. Have worked for a company with a very large fleet that changed filters every other oil change and testing proved the filter actually did a better job filtering on the second oil change. Surprising but after thinking about it seems very possible, reminds me to try to avoid getting to caught up in oil company advertising,brainwashing for $$$.

·
Registered
596 Posts
mrgl02 said:
Jeffery of Sarawak said:
We have heard of different comments on oil specs, brand etcetc... what about the oil filter change frequency??
This question assumes that there are people who don't change the filter every time the oil is changed.... there are people who actually don't change the filter every time??? :shock:

If I was that tight with money, then I'd at least use the SuperTech filter at Wal-Mart for $1.88. At least I'd be getting a clean filter every time.
I feel the same way, but my Kawasaki owners manual says change the filter every 6000 and the oil every 3000. I don't know anyone who is actually that cheap -- or lazy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Every 4K

Been changing mine at every 4K I have noticed the manual saying every 8K, but I took advice from the same man selling me oil........hmmmm nah, he wouldnt be pulling on my wallet.

Whats the highest mileage out here on the GL 1800? You know, Ill run a poll on that one.

G

·
0 Posts
I change mine to Honda oil (non synthetic) @ 600 miles even though not reqired. Get old stuff out and make sure full.

4000 miles changed to Amsoil 10W40 and Amsoil gear lub.

Change every 6000 miles (oil, filter & gear).

Since I buy gear lub by the quart & it only takes 3 oz I figure that is 10 changes so why not change it out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Changing oil

I have a friend who rides a good deal more than I do. He puts about 100k on his bike every year. It has always been his practice to change out a filter about half way to the next oil change (where he also changes out the filter). I have been running about 8k on my oil but changing the filter out and topping off the oil at about 4k. Works for me.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Stormbringer;

If you have 3.000 miles + on your motor, then its already "broken in". By the time you have gone through the first tank of fuel its probably 90% broken in and by the time you have gone 3,000 the rings have seated if they ever will be. Somebody had an excellent site referenced on that recently, I knew I should have book marked that. Any way, the most important ride is the first one for ultimate compression and quite frankly, I bet the Honda testing trials (which looked pretty aggressive to me) did a lot if the ring seating. Yep, the cross hatches are history on your cylinder walls by now. Using the best synthetics and Honda filters, I am comfortable with following the Honda schedual. I would not be comfortable with that schedual and Honda dino oil.

prs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lennie,

100K per year! Lucky fellow!

RE: Oil/filter changes

I change at 3000k. Used Mobil 1 in my 1500 at the recommendation of the local honda mechanic. Not sure yet with the 1800 were I will end up at.

One thing to keep in mind is that short trips leave much more contamination in the oil than longer trips. My trips are often of the shorter nature and the frequent changes are (relatively) cheap and make me feel good! If I regularly did longer trips I would likely change a bit less frequently.

Lionel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts