GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know Bullet Bob and I went to Alaska in August. I changed my oil as soon as I got back. I left it in the oil catch pan and slid it under a piece of wood working machinery. Today I went and checked it. With 11K on this oil change. As you might expect it was black. The surprising thing is that I measured it and I had put four quarts in and got four dirty quarts out. I expected it to use a little oil. But it didn't!!!

What has been your experience with oil change when you went farther than you should have. I might note I normally change my oil at 5K intervals with Mobile 1, and Mobile 1 is what I had in it this time.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Oh shoot.....I'm supposed to change the oil in this thing ? :surprise:

I usually change mine every 5k or 6k, and have never really gone much past 6k. If we are leaving on a trip, I'll change it earlier than needed to not worry about it on the road.

To the best of my recollection, I'l always got 4 quarts out when changing the oil.

I have used Shell Rotella T5 since I've owned the bike. Bought it with 1,300 miles on it in 2009, and it now has over 74,500 miles.

I use the T5 in my Suzuki too. :thumbup:

Reactions: Boomer1832cc

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yup, 4 quarts in and 4 quarts out in the drain pan has been the norm for all my wings. My trips to the mid-west normally run 7k to 10k and if I don't need to hit a shop for tires I will not change it till I am home. I run Honda HP4S synthetic oil in our 1800's and Honda filters.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Oh shoot.....I'm supposed to change the oil in this thing ? :surprise:

I usually change mine every 5k or 6k, and have never really gone much past 6k. If we are leaving on a trip, I'll change it earlier than needed to not worry about it on the road.

To the best of my recollection, I'l always got 4 quarts out when changing the oil.

I have used Shell Rotella T5 since I've owned the bike. Bought it with 1,300 miles on it in 2009, and it now has over 74,500 miles.

I use the T5 in my Suzuki too. :thumbup:
I thought -T6 was the only Rotella used in the goldwings.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, 4 quarts in and 4 quarts out in the drain pan has been the norm for all my wings. My trips to the mid-west normally run 7k to 10k and if I don't need to hit a shop for tires I will not change it till I am home. I run Honda HP4S synthetic oil in our 1800's and Honda filters.
Bullet Bob and I installed new CT's and a new Battlax BT45 on the front of each bike. 11K is nothing for either of them. I expect to get another 15K out of both front and back.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Bullet Bob and I installed new CT's and a new Battlax BT45 on the front of each bike. 11K is nothing for either of them. I expect to get another 15K out of both front and back.
I have been wanting to try a CT but up here I only have two tire vendors locally and both say they will only sell tires in sets of 4......

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I’ve used T5 in both bikes since I bought them.

Wing in 2009, VStrom in 2012

·
Administrator
3,718 Posts
I thought -T6 was the only Rotella used in the goldwings.

Marvin, I put 320,000 miles on my former 2006 Wing using T5 oil. In my present 2012 Wing I am using T6 because Len said he had spoiled the bike and it was used to T6.

Glen

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN and Wahoo

·
IronMan
17,628 Posts
i have been wanting to try a ct but up here i only have two tire vendors locally and both say they will only sell tires in sets of 4......
buy 4 when they offer a rebate usually $75 - 100 sell the 3 or at least 2 . Sell cheaper than what they can buy 1 for . I've done couple times over the years good luck

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been wanting to try a CT but up here I only have two tire vendors locally and both say they will only sell tires in sets of 4......
I don't know about shipping to AK but I order mine through Tire Rack one at a time. I told them the first time I needed a replacement tire for a 2010 MINI COOPER CLUBMAN WITH RUN-FLAT. Now they ask if I need another tire for my Mini. Here is a link to what I use.

I have a friend that has a commercial tire machine and electronic balancer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...or+ZPS&cameFrom=selectOE&partnum=955VR6ENVZPS

Reactions: BigBob1

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:thumbup: for BT45....

One word of caution..... The Battlax BT45 is an excellent tire for the less aggressive. If you run the twisties hard the sides will wear fast. A few years back (when I was a lot more aggressive) I put 6.5K on one on a trip out west. It still looked like new! :nojoke: The following week I went with some friends into the mountains for four days. When I got home the sides were wore to the wear bars. But the center was still good.

·
Registered
837 Posts
buy 4 when they offer a rebate usually $75 - 100 sell the 3 or at least 2 . Sell cheaper than what they can buy 1 for . I've done couple times over the years good luck
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sounds good, at this time i am still using a Bridgestone Drive guard i bought from some guy in Florida. It is my first Driveguard and i love it. No problems, at all, and the traction is fantastic. *smile* Dave44

1 - 15 of 15 Posts