GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So am I wasting my time and money changing my oil and clutch filter every time I change my oil? I just noticed that the manual says they only have to be changed every other oil change.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
So am I wasting my time and money changing my oil and clutch filter every time I change my oil? I just noticed that the manual says they only have to be changed every other oil change.

New oil through dirty filters? Not me.......just doesn't make sense IMHO.
I change them every time, cheap insurance and doesn't take much longer to do.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I believe what the manual is indicating is that is the minimum required to do on the bike.
They know if you change it every other time, it will not hurt the engine.
That is like having the oil change at 8,000 miles. They know that is ok.
Some still change it at 3,000, it is what they want to do.
A friend of mine passed away I used to ride with, and he told his wife to change the tires on their car every 40,000 miles.
She will change the tires on her car every 40,000 miles no matter what. Of course we know they can go longer.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
With the Honda recommendation or allowance to use filters through two oil chnage cycles in the back of my mind; I thought, "No way!" when I inspected the DCT filter at the initial 4,000 mile change. That little booger was Dirty (with a capitol D). So, I created a huge mess in cutting open the motor spin on filter, it was typical for a used filter of that low milage. Next change was 6,000 milels later (getting to 10,000 so that I can remember to change every 5 thousand there after). The DCT filter was almost pristine clean and, again I opened the spin on too and it was very clean. So, I could stay warm and fuzzy by trusting the filters for a second use; but I doubt I ever will. Just too settled in my old ways.

prs

·
Registered
998 Posts
With the Honda recommendation or allowance to use filters through two oil chnage cycles in the back of my mind; I thought, "No way!" when I inspected the DCT filter at the initial 4,000 mile change. That little booger was Dirty (with a capitol D). So, I created a huge mess in cutting open the motor spin on filter, it was typical for a used filter of that low milage. Next change was 6,000 milels later (getting to 10,000 so that I can remember to change every 5 thousand there after). The DCT filter was almost pristine clean and, again I opened the spin on too and it was very clean. So, I could stay warm and fuzzy by trusting the filters for a second use; but I doubt I ever will. Just too settled in my old ways.

prs
Yup, mine also look like they can go two changes no problem. Maybe pull and drain the engine filter and put it back.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I change oil/clutch filters every oil change. I once read that it actually is more important to change the filter than the oil especially if using FULL SYNTHETIC

Reactions: tclhb

·
Registered
31 Posts
A filter does a better job filtering out particulates as is gets dirty. The risk is that once it is so dirty it creates so much pressure that the filter will be bypassed. Once break-in is completed, a filter change at every other oil change actually makes sense. Those that have inspected filters will tell you that the modern engines run so clean that there is minimal crap in the filters after use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts