GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my experiment of how much oil would be consumed over 8000 miles of riding. I bought my oil and marked with a marker where the oil level was on each of the 4 bottles. I saved these bottles and now have 8127 miles on this oil. I drained the oil today and then poured the oil back into the same marked bottles. 3 bottles back to the marked line that I put on the bottle when bought new. The fourth bottle came up a little low of the marked line. It took 7 1/2 fl. oz. to get it up to the marked line. This being said I have always used Mobile 1 10W-40T racing oil from the first oil change at 1000 miles. The bike is an 2007 with 127684 miles on it now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
But didn't some of that 7.5 ounces stay in the used oil filter?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just finished my experiment of how much oil would be consumed over 8000 miles of riding. I bought my oil and marked with a marker where the oil level was on each of the 4 bottles. I saved these bottles and now have 8127 miles on this oil. I drained the oil today and then poured the oil back into the same marked bottles. 3 bottles back to the marked line that I put on the bottle when bought new. The fourth bottle came up a little low of the marked line. It took 7 1/2 fl. oz. to get it up to the marked line. This being said I have always used Mobile 1 10W-40T racing oil from the first oil change at 1000 miles. The bike is an 2007 with 127684 miles on it now.

did you drain the oil out of the filter.....if not, theres some more of it

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I did drain the filter and yes I assume some of the oil did absorb in the filter.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:tongue::tongue: Yure not gonna win this one. Lol!!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kit I am not trying to win anything . I think those are some pretty good results. I expected more oil to be consumed.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit I am not trying to win anything . I think those are some pretty good results. I expected more oil to be consumed.
I know, just messing around.

Url....ya know someone is gonna say, the viscosity of the old oil does not match the new oil viscosity and therefore less of the old oil stuck to the engine parts than the new oil replaced.

Or the oil filter was made in 2009 and the new on is made in 2010 and it has been proven that old filters used more oil..........

Sounds like your engine is doing great. Normal for a little to slip past the rings , and in the mountains with the RPM up and running hard you can pump a pint of oil out in a day. Same bike will use only that 7 ounces in normal riding.

There will be 20 pages of stuff on this on, you watch. :lol:

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
if u wasn't fussing with the oil u could have put on a few more miles !!! :joke: how do u like your Centramatics ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Oil engine check

I Brian

Your engine is in excellent condition, it is almost like new.

My GoldWing has 40.000 km and it takes about 50 to 75 milliliter per 5000 km.

FlyBoy2121 :thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like your motor is in good shape. I change mine every 3000 (probably overkill) but I`ve never had to add any in that time.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Mine does not use much either in normal conditions however I found out when your pulling a trailer that's fairly loaded doing 70 75 mph constantly in fairly hot weather it will use oil about 500mm in my case in about 6k but under these conditions i think that's pretty normal

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
That's incredable that a motor can go through so little at that milage at 8k between oil changes.

Anyone know what Honda considers acceptible oil usage? When I was a Chrysler/Plymonth mechanic back in 1975, Chrysler considered acceptable usage was upto 1 qt every 800 miles.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
But didn't some of that 7.5 ounces stay in the used oil filter?

Honda builds excellent motors. Oil consumption on this bike is going to vary widely depending upon riding style. Some folks almost never engine brake severely; some folks hardly ever do maximum blast off jack rabbit starts, or even aggressive blasting out of twisty curves. Those practices literally suck oil rich vapors through the secondary air systems. I am also impressed (jealous) regarding the OP’s milage on such a recent bike!

prs

S

·
0 Posts
I have to admit I may check my oil once per oil interval which is 10k.
Its always at the full mark so I would guess perhaps a few ounces may be used but that is more than normal.

I do notice when I put in new oil the transmission does shift exactly the same even without dinobeads :lol:

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I would suspect about 2 or 3 ozs stayed in the filter media.

later..Randy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts