GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 6800 mile cruise of the Northwest. A most enjoyable ride and the Wing performed flawlessly as always. We rode two up pulling a Mini-Mate camper the whole way. The Wing has power to spare for sure.

When I returned I checked my oil and found it to be a pint low(Ichecked it once on the trip) I have a total of about 7300(changing it tomorrow) miles on this oil change so I am not alarmed about a pint consumption. I usually change at 5K and never have given this a thought. Just wondering what experience do you all have with oil consumption at the above mileage? I have 64K on the Wing.

Fred

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Normal mine used about half a litre 500 mill during a 7k outback tour pulling a loaded trailer at 120- 130 kph in hot and humid conditions

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
oil

when my 09 had only 2000 miles I did a trip to Alaska and it burned nearly .2-.4 quarts about every 6500-7500 miles. Talked to a dealer about it and he said that was rather high.............number 3 plug shows alittle smuty color compared to the others.

S

·
0 Posts
I change oil (regulare oil) in all my bikes every 10k and so far never add any in between changes.
(GL, Valk, ST11, EH)

I guess if any of them used a pint every 5k or so I would just forget about it and keep going. Why fix something not broken?

I very much doubt it's any problem with rings, normally slight usage is simply a valve guide problem with is really not much of a problem.
From what I can tell from the manual the guides do not have a seal so this is most likely just a slightly loose guide.

If it puffs just a hint of smoke when you start the engine cold - it's a valve guide.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
more miles = more oil

Never pulled a trailer behind mine but my 04 is burning about a pint of oil for every 1 - 2 thousand miles traveled now but has way more many miles on than most. In earlier days never even bothered to check it between oil changes. Now I monitor it much more closely on road trips.

Donnie

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
mine has used that much oil a couple of times and i have never pulled a trailer

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys. I did not think it was anything to be concerned about, but it is always good to get feedback. Ride safe all.

fred

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Do you do allot of Engine Braking? I know on my other 1800 if I did allot of Engine Braking it would use a sip of oil, but this was some really hard riding with the guys for a few days in a row, but just regular Touring Two up and no Trailer it would not use any at all. A pint is still not bad at all, wouldn't worry me at all. Two Thumbs up on your mileage you have attained and it is still going!

Ah Heck, I just read your signature line, I would be utterly elated if and when my New To Me Wing which is a 04 as yours and it gets to the mileage you have on yours!!
Thanks ... little to no engine breaking over those miles... hope mine makes it to over 300k like Cycledude's 02.

Donnie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts