GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. I went to change my engine oil today, ride a good bit to warm it up, parked, got oil pan and as I grabbed my 12mm socket and box-end wrenches, I found they did not fit easily/well. None the less I continued to try to get them on and thought I had a good fit but upon applying pressure to loosen the bolt the head stripped. This happened several times and I now have a fully stripped bolt head. Any ideas shy of a tap & die? I think I may need to head into the shop to have them deal with this. It really sucks and it super frustrating. Here is a pic of the bolt - its the first of the three located nearest to the front. Thanks! Rob

Automotive tire Grey Rim Artifact Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Hi gang. I went to change my engine oil today, ride a good bit to warm it up, parked, got oil pan and as I grabbed my 12mm socket and box-end wrenches, I found they did not fit easily/well. None the less I continued to try to get them on and thought I had a good fit but upon applying pressure to loosen the bolt the head stripped. This happened several times and I now have a fully stripped bolt head. Any ideas shy of a tap & die? I think I may need to head into the shop to have them deal with this. It really sucks and it super frustrating. Here is a pic of the bolt - its the first of the three located nearest to the front. Thanks! Rob

View attachment 408178

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around your photo......Is this a 2018+ DCT?
You say it's the first of 3 drain bolts closest to front?
#1 in the picture below from my bike?

Sure looks boogered up alright.......all I can think of is a very good vice-grip and take it slow. Maybe a little penetrating oil first....

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying to get my head wrapped around your photo......Is this a 2018+ DCT?
You say it's the first of 3 drain bolts closest to front?
#1 in the picture below from my bike?

Sure looks boogered up alright.......all I can think of is a very good vice-grip and take it slow. Maybe a little penetrating oil first....

View attachment 408181
Thanks Brian. Yes 2018 DCT Tour - same as your diagram (but not nearly as clean!!!). Its the #2 bolt on your picture (so I guess not the furthest toward front - couldn't quite tell while I was under there which was further up). Found a number of other posts suggesting "Bolt Extractors" which look like normal sockets but seem to narrow the deeper you go. May try that or JBWeld a throw-away socket or open-end wrench

·
Registered
2014 HD FLHTK Ultra Limited, 2003 Honda ST1300A
52 Posts
Bolt extractors have a unique spiral which grabs rounded off bolt heads very tight.
They grab on each side unlike vicegrips which only grab a couple of sides and can slide off.

Me, I would take it to the dealer and let them muck with it.
They would start with heating area around the bolt with a gentle torch, then grab bolt and remove it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That bolt doesn't look too bad. As DDL said get a pair of vise gripes, the real ones, not the Chinese ones at Harbor Freight and that will come out very easy. Just get a real good bite on it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If a flat faced 6-point socket won't do it, use a dulled chisel and hammer around the outer edge, of the rounded part, which is larger circumference than the hex head. I'd probably lay the bike over, for better access too.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Maybe I should said peck around the outer edge, instead of hammer. But hopefully you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Not to be a smarta$$, but remember " right tighty, lefty loosy 😊
True story....................very 1'st oil change on my '18 DCT.............I COULD NOT GET the oil filter ( like many others ) to budge...................rode the bike to the dealer where I bought the bike.................they sent a guy right out to loosen it....................he is under the bike and starts to twist HARD ....................the WRONG WAY ..............I'm standing right there, thank God....................and tell him he/s twisting the wrong way !! ...................... loosened it................end of story.

Moral................... even a dealer can screw up things that are 'simple.'

# 2 1/2

·
Registered
17,723 Posts
That does NOT look at all correct. Are you SURE that is an oil drain bolt? The pic makes it look recessed and where is the crush washer that is supposed to be under it? Take another photo from a bit further out for perspective.

prs

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Maybe use the corner of a sharp chisel to make a gouge in the metal, to provide a 'foot hold' for the dull chisel.

Reactions: yellowrex
1 - 20 of 156 Posts