GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Hi gang. I went to change my engine oil today, ride a good bit to warm it up, parked, got oil pan and as I grabbed my 12mm socket and box-end wrenches, I found they did not fit easily/well. None the less I continued to try to get them on and thought I had a good fit but upon applying pressure to loosen the bolt the head stripped. This happened several times and I now have a fully stripped bolt head. Any ideas shy of a tap & die? I think I may need to head into the shop to have them deal with this. It really sucks and it super frustrating. Here is a pic of the bolt - its the first of the three located nearest to the front. Thanks! Rob

View attachment 408178

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around your photo......Is this a 2018+ DCT?
You say it's the first of 3 drain bolts closest to front?
#1 in the picture below from my bike?

Sure looks boogered up alright.......all I can think of is a very good vice-grip and take it slow. Maybe a little penetrating oil first....

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
It does kind of look like it's in the same spot as Brian's #1 bolt in post#2 of that spotless engine. (Right next to that curve where you put the oil filter wrench on the filter. ). What is like to know is how an engine can be so clean. Is that a '22 ?
That's my 2022 Trike.......picture taken when it had 20 miles on it! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts